Photo

Adopted Dwarf!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I wasn't planning on getting another hamster, but I just adopted a dwarf! I just got my first dwarf hamster last week, but I found one online tonight that was in the worst living conditions I have ever seen, so I just had to get him. Luckily I just made both my hamsters bin cages last week, so I happened to have 2 Crittertrail cages laying around empty I could put him in. Right now he is only in the two level cage so he hopefully won't get too overwhelmed. He is super cute, I will try to get pictures of him in a couple days once he settles in a little bit. I haven't named him yet because the previous owner thought he was a boy, but I haven't been able to check to confirm it. He is the smallest dwarf hamster I have ever seen, and he is supposed to be around 7 months old. I'm not sure if he is just really tiny, or if he is malnourished. I posted a picture below of the horrible cage he has been living in. He is now having a blast exploring his new cage and burrowing in all the CareFresh.

Posted Image

#2 brebanana93

brebanana93

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Oh goodness. That is a terrible cage.
The "Tested 100% Pet Safe" sticker kills me.

I'm excited to see the little guy though :)

#3 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

I know! I know pet companies sell bad cages, but this one is just pathetic. Plus, they had nothing else in the cage for him, all he came with was a ball and a bag of the cheapest food you can buy. All he had was the cheap wheel in the cage, and when i tested it it was so tight that it didn't hardly spin at all. He is doing really well though, so I'm going to try to get some pictures of him tonight. I want to try to get him out and offer a sand bath to him, and hopefully he will use it. He is super oily and dirty, probably since he was living without any type of bedding in his old cage.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Oh my goodness this is just horrible. :sad: The combination of a tiny cage, wheel that doesn't work, no bedding or hideout, and even his water bottle is almost empty. :crybuckets: Such a GOOD thing you rescued him! :heartbeat: Kudos to you! Can't wait to see his cage and hear more about him.

#5 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Pickles12807, 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#6 dudley_doo!

dudley_doo!

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Aw!! He is such a cutie! I'm glad he gets to live a good hammy life now!

#7 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

aww poor hammy! But now he's going to live a great life! That cages is terrible! sometimes people need to think before buying a cage like that! :pullinghair: but now he will have a great safe cage :) Oh by the way I really like your videos!

#8 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

look how tiny and sweet!

#9 stuffedwheel

stuffedwheel

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

That cage really is pathetic. :s It looks similar to the cage my sister had for her parakeets... the one that was only used for travelling, nothing more.

I'm sure he's enjoying the new cages. Living the good life with you and all. He really is a cutie. Love the pictures. :)

#10 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Awww, congrats on the new cutie. He's so adorable, & props to you for rescuing him. That cage is indeed horrible, sigh. :sad: But now he's in a happier environment, good luck with him! :)

#11 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

He is doing good so far! I have noticed he has been at the water bottle quite frequently though, hopefully he isn't diabetic. Since he is so small and wiggly I wasn't able to confirm if he was a male, but since my other two are males I went ahead and decided he'll just be a boy too :D I named him Cheerio.

#12 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Aw, he is so cute, and I hope he adjusts well to his new bigger as well better cage.

#13 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wow that cage is really bad! How can someone look at that and think that is ok? I'm glad he has you and is going to be properly taken care of now. I'm sure he loves that Carefresh :) He sure is a pretty thing. I absolutely love white bellies on animals :lovestruck: