Photo

Tweek (male winter white) has a cheek wound from an unknown cause!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

OK so I don't know what the cause of the cheek wound is but it doesn't seem to be bothering him and I don't know what to do!
we bought them 7 days ago, so we have 8 more days to return/get vet checks (hopefully this counts)
please help me!!!!

#2 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't view the video!

**Edit

Now I can see it!

Poor Tweek (he is SOOO cute with those big eyes) To clean the wound can you try a teeny bit of water on a Qtip, or some manuka honey?

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 23 March 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#3 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

I think it may have been fighting, and i think that i need to get another bin in the next month
when i put tweek in the cage with bloo, bloo seemed to want to bite/groom the wound so tweek is now in Dave's old wire cage, which should be ok for a while
but ill try the water, and would thyme tea help?
oh and would petco let me take him back and get free vet care if its a wound like that or is that policy for 15 day vet warranty only valid with sickness?
Oh and I checked the tower i built out of popsicle sticks that they were sleeping under, and there was no sign of chewing, and there were no marks or anything wrong with bloo
is tweek likely to come out of this fully recovered?

Edited by bobthealien, 23 March 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Oooh that looks painful. Poor guy. So I'm trying to understand this correctly - he was housed with another hamster? If so, this may be where the wound came from.

Secondly, I would highly recommend manuka honey (16+ or higher) if you are able to get some and able to put it on that spot. It will probably be *extremely* difficult though, as it's so close to the mouth, but I had a hamster with a cheek wound similar to that and it healed up very quickly with the honey. It also acts as an antibacterial to prevent infection.

Thyme tea also works, but it would need to soak in the tea for about 10 minutes and that wouldn't be possible.

#5 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get the honey, and yes he was housed with his cagemate/brother (bought from same cage) and there were no major problems till now. I don't want him to get any more hurt, and I'm just genuinely scared. losing 2 hamsters in one month would devastate me... The idea of a pair sounded sooo good at Pet-Co and now it is a horror! I'm making thyme tea right now, and I'm going to apply it 2/3 times a day and see where this takes me...
thanks guys

oh and it doesn't seem to bother him too much at this point in time

#6 nef

nef

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

and yes he was housed with his cagemate/brother (bought from same cage) and there were no major problems till now.
[...]
oh and it doesn't seem to bother him too much at this point in time

I dont know what type of cage you have, but fighting usually happens because they dont have enough room. Thays why i always tell people to only buy one hamster unless they have a good cage/bin or they're prepared to have a second cage.

It may seem like he's not bothered, but thats the way animals are. They dont show signs of distress when they're hurt unless its something really bad or hurtfull, it's an survival mechanism. But he have a little wound on his face, so he must be a little bothered :P

Try to keep it clean until you can see the vet and do what hoppinghammy said

Edited by nef, 23 March 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#7 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I bought two because my (about) 600 sq. inch bin was supposed to be big enough...
lol but I have thyme tea ready and I'll apply it tonight and check his progress... I just hope he doesn't get an infection, and hopefully Pet-Co will provide free vet care (15 day warranty)

#8 nef

nef

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

I bought two because my (about) 600 sq. inch bin was supposed to be big enough...
lol but I have thyme tea ready and I'll apply it tonight and check his progress... I just hope he doesn't get an infection, and hopefully Pet-Co will provide free vet care (15 day warranty)

Well sometimes hamsters just dont get along. Once they start fighting it's very likely it will get worse. The only setup where i had absolutely no fighting whatsoever was the detolf, with around 900 sq. inch

#9 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

wow... well I tried to get a glimpse of what would happen when they were put back together... when i saw bloo even go near tweek it was over
well I have to go to church, and tomorrow will show his progress
i must be peaceful Posted Image

#10 Raigne

Raigne

Baby Hamster

• 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, do you have two of everything that's in the cage? Wheels, food dishes, water bottles? If not, it could be that the other is trying to display dominance so that they have all access to those things.

#11 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,774 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I would still use the thyme tea. it will help prevent infections.
soak the corner of a paper towel in the tea, and then gently
press it against the cut. hold it there for at least 5 minutes
(it doesn't have to be 5 minutes straight, it can be 1 minute,
time out, another minute, time out...)

is the manuka honey not possible because of finances?