Photo

Saphira.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

This is extremely difficult for me to write, given the circumstances of how subtle her death was... Last night I said goodnight to them both around 8:30 PM before I left to go hang out with some friends; they were both running rampant on their wheel like they always do.
Only half an hour ago, I went to go and change their food and say hello to them, as I did daily. I found Darmani sitting in the corner closest to where I found Saphira, eyes partially closed and ears down. I reached my hand into their house where I would find Saphira's cold body, lying peacefully curled up in their nest. The sight of her instantly brought me to tears, and even while I sit here writing this, I won't forget the unexpected tragedy.

Posted Image

I do not know how she passed. They have both been fine, and I have noticed nothing unusual in either of them. The last problems I had revolved around the separation of Nidorino. That's been about 4 months, and since then everything has been fine.

I adopted the two of them in April of 2011. They sat in a small 10 gallon tank in the pet store I work at for close to 5 months before I got a chance to take them. This should put them close to 2 years old, so I don't know that her life expectancy was quite reached. Given the circumstances. They lived a happy life, together as sisters. Entertaining me and everyone who laid eyes upon them.

She was the most tame of my pair, and would allow me to effortlessly handle her. It sometimes took a bit to catch her in their cage, but once I managed to get ahold of her, she had no problem with being petted. And would sit in the palm of my hand calmly.

In December, she won the HOTM contest for her cute little Christmas-bobo photo:
Posted Image
She also won in the Pet Depot "MAke Your Pet Famous!" contest I entered her into recently, winning her and Darmani free food for a year. Sadly, she won't be around to indulge in her winnings...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I worry about poor little Darmani, whose never known a life with out her sister. I don't think pairing her with another robo is good at this point, simply because of past experiences with introducing hamster much younger. The vicious cycle will never end if I introduce a new one, because I'll only need to continually (out of guilt) find a new friend for the poor little robo left behind.

I've been so busy lately with two jobs that I hardly have time for anything, this includes spending quality time with my pets. If it really was just her time, then I feel guilty I didn't get to spend her final days with her. Hopefully she'll forgive me.
I will never forget her. She was one of the first hamsters I ever owned, and I will never ever forget how happy I was to be their mommies. They put me through so much stress, making me worry over probably little things, but they also brought unrepeatable happiness to my life, in a difficult time.

The love animals give to people is completely incomparable to anything else. Their love is unconditioned, and all they ask in return from that is unconditional love back.

Rest in peace little Saphira, I hope you see Pezz the betta up there, and you two will wait for me.
I love you so much. <3 :candle:

#2 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm so sorry for your unexpected loss of Saphira. :'( I'm sure it's really hard on you and you loved her dearly. She was such a cutie and I'm still amazed at that photo you took of her in the sleigh. :lovestruck:

The love animals give to people is completely incomparable to anything else. Their love is unconditioned, and all they ask in return from that is unconditional love back.

This is so very true! I do hope you are ok, Jordyn buddy? :hug:

#3 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

I am so sorry for your loss!
Saphira had a happy and healthy life living with you and Darmani. :)
RIP Saphira

Edited by imi264, 23 March 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#4 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Oh I'm so sorry :'( It was so unexpected, I couldn't even imagine how I would act in that situation. Saphira loves you and always will. I pray that both you and Darmani will find closure in the good times you had with her. Rest in peace Saphira.

#5 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear this Jordyn. It is never easy when a pet passes away, but she was well loved and well cared for and that is what matters. <3 :rainbow:

Make sure Darmani keeps eating, sometimes they stop for a bit after a cagemate passes.

#6 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

I can understand how hard it is to find your pet seeming healthy and happy one minute, and then gone from you in the next. That suddenness is heartbreaking all on its own.

Wishing you and little Darmani all the best.

#7 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Jordyn.... I was in floods of tears by the end of this. :crybuckets:
This has to have been one of the most touching memoiriales that I have ever
read. Saphira was a beautiful, gorgeous hamster, that didn't deserve to die.
You did the best anyone could do to care for her.
I wish you the best for the future, and I hope, when another pet dies, that it is not
as sudden as this was.
Sophia xxxxx

#8 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

Words can't express how sorry, and broken I am about this, Jordyn. She was an amazing hamster and her beauty never ceased to amaze me again and again. She was so tame and peaceful; simply adorable in her kindness. Her HOTM picture was a heart-stopper, just like she was. :lovestruck: I never thought that she would pass so unexpectedly, and I am so deeply sorry for your loss, and everyone else's that had the pleasure of laying eyes on her soft cream coat, her soulful eyes, or her perky ears that always seemed joyful.

Rest In Peace, Saphira. :candle:

#9 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

Oh Jordyn.. :'( :crybuckets: :hug:
I remember when you first found Saphira and Darmani all those months ago, and everyone was so happy and so excited that you finally had hamsters! I feel like I've been on this great journey with you and Saphira, from when you first brought her home, to her final passing, like I've a part of a special family :)
I'm so sorry, Jordyn. She was so beautiful and such a character. She's gonna be so missed :(
~Hugs you tight~ :heartbeat:

#10 Owned

Owned

Junior Hamster

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

Words fail me.

I've had various pets before, but it wasn't until fate paired me up with my Hammy that I felt an almost spiritual bond to an animal. So all I can say to you now is: Hopefully you will find some comfort in the fact that there are many others - us - that know exactly how you feel and share the pain with you.

#11 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thank you all for your kind words. :hug: It's a difficult situation to deal with, because there isn't many people I can talk to about it in person...being as they've been hidden in my room for 6 months. I had to try so hard not to cry while my mom was home today before I went to work...it was really hard.
I'm going to bury her tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out a significant place where I can put her at rest, and that is special to me as well.

I'm really worried about Darmani. I haven't heard her run on her wheel all day, and she's acting pretty strange. It's not even been 24 hours. I've heard some hamsters after losing their cage mate--especially ones they've been with since birth--deteriorate in health a lot quicker. :/ I'm afraid I will lose her too...
But I work, and I haven't any extra time to spend with her; anymore than I already do. I wonder if that would help.

Anyways, thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the support. :hug:

#12 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Saphira is such a special hammy. I'm sure she'll remember you forever. :rainbow:

#13 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Jordyn, I'm so sorry about your loss. I hope you are doing well.
Saphira was truly an amazing hamster just from the many things you've said about her.
I regret being late in finding out. But even now, the incident pains at my heart as
well. Even if she wasn't my hamster, I feel that she almost was. She was just as sweet
as ever. It's sad to see that we won't see her pictures anymore, but her memories lay in
our hearts. I hope she's crossed to the Rainbow Bridge safely and is in a world without
pain now. I hope you and Darmani are both doing well with the situation at hand and may
Darmani enjoy life while cherishing the moments with Saphira

#14 anamaya76

anamaya76

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

I am so sorry about the loss of little Saphira, one is never prepared to the loss of our fury babies! I know how hard it is, and how much you miss her, in the span of two months I lost both my little hammies, and now my room feel so empty without the sound of their little paws on their wheels or scampering around the gage.
I am sure Saphira sister will be a bit sad at first but if you will spend some time with her I am sure she will be fine.
Unfortunately there is not much we can do to ease the pain, but time will help us, we need to remember how lucky we have been to have had these little loving crature in our life!!
Bug hug

#15 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Saphira, it's very late of me and I apologize.

She sounded like the sweetest girl and did live a full life, full of love. You gave her and her sister a home when they had not known what one was like, and a fabulous one at that! You truly have been such a great hamster mom. It takes a special kind of person to care for animals the way you do. Jordyn, you were so devoted to them. You gave them such good care and were very attentive to their health and well-being. You gave them a fantastic habitat and it's very apparent that you did spend a lot of quality time with the both of them- robos don't just tame themselves :tongue:

I can totally relate missing out on a hamster's final days- she knows you loved her very much and didn't want to worry you. Don't feel guilty because you were truly always there for her and you should have no regrets. The life you gave her was amazing and it was the environment she needed to thrive in. You can just see how content she looked in all of those pictures.

Rest in peace, Saphira. We'll miss you very much :candle: