Photo

Cage Input!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hello (:! Here's a picture of the current setup I have for my hamster!

Posted Image

Top View

Posted Image

I'd really love any sort of input on the cage! I couldn't find ANY bedding except Spruce... she's been okay so far and that's all they sell for small pets o_o I hope it's okay.

Also I really want to make use of the ceiling and so I was thinking of buy this and adding it to the cage on the right side and moving some of the stuff:

Posted Image

Link to where I saw it: Hamster House

Do you think it'd be a good idea? I wish it said what kind of wood it used... I hope it's not Fir ;x

Edited by Apples, 22 March 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#2 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

That cage alone is unfortunately too small. :(

Here at HH we recommend your cage be a bare MINIMUM of 360 sq inches. (you multiply the length and the width. If you don't get 360, the cage is too small) some hamsters show signs of boredom being kept in a cage that's 360 sq inches so bigger is truly better.

I'm 99.9% sure that cage you have can be expanded. I saw it at the petstore once and I've had it before. So you might want to look into adding a couple more levels.

That house is a good toy! It's like 2 level house that you can fold. It really doesn't matter what wood the toy is made out of.

Ive never heard of spruce bedding before so I'm not sure if it's safe or not. Maybe another member can help you. Is it a softwood bedding?

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 22 March 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#3 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hmm thank you for the response! Unfortunately the house isn't a crittertrail or anything where you can like add tubes and such. It's a random cage I found at the pet area I went to at a department store (I live in Korea, so it's kinda hard to find anything American wise for pets). If you had any suggestions on expansions, I'm open to them, but if there isn't any way, I'll probably just scrap it for say a large fishtank or something.

Ah I'm definitely getting the house then! Thanks!

Well I did some research and apparently it's okay. It's 100% spruce. I have no idea if it's a softwood bedding or not. The brand is Allspan animal bedding for pets?

#4 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Hi! Welcome to HH! A cage that you will 100% be able to do is a bin cage! All you have to do is find a 105 quarter storage bin and put mesh on the top and there you go! You don't even have to add it on to that cage! :D
Hope this helps!

#5 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

I agree that a bin cage would be great! My hamsters were in similar cages to the one you have, and I just recently made bin cages for them and they have so much more space. Pictures of one of my newly made bin cages is in the "proud of your cages" sticky thread.

#6 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

YEA! a bin cage would be a good solution for you :)

here's our forum topic about bin cages: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67372&st=0

#7 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hello! So I did read the bin cage thread, but it seemed really tough for me (drilling/ hot gluing etc) and I have no idea where to buy these things and I don't really have anyone to help me use them heh.

So today I looked around and found that you can actually pop out the side circles it has and attach tubes, so I will be attaching it to another identical cage to give her double the space (: I feel this will be enough (I don't quite remember the exact numbers, but I calced it in the store and found it to be around 360 sq feet so I'm happy with that!

I'm actually unsure if I want to put the second cage sideways or on top, because I'm worried she won't be able to climb up the tubes to get to the second cage. It doesn't have too many foot holds from what I've seen.

#8 AccioGuitar

AccioGuitar

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

That's great that you're putting a new addition on! I'm sure she'll love the extra space. But just remember that when calculating the floor space of a cage like that, you have to take the measurements on the inside. So you may find out a third cage will be necessary. Or better yet, just keep adding and adding more cages as time goes by. Then she'll definitely have enough space.

#9 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Haha of course more is always better! I can always add more tubes to places so I think it'll be fine (:

#10 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

Great! Post pictures of your new cage set up when it's done :)

#11 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Posted elsewhere*

Edited by Apples, 30 March 2012 - 11:46 PM.