Photo

Question about tank cage.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

So I just moved Lucy and her miniature clan into the new 20 or 29 gallon tank and the babies love all the new roaming space. I put new bedding, along with some bedding from the old cage. My question is she's been digging in the corners, which I know is because she's trying to find a good place for a new nest, but she keeps biting on the enamel coating stuff that is used to seal the seams of the glass together in one of the corners. Is this going to harm her in any way? If not, will she just stop chewing on it on her own, or is there something I can do to help stop it?

Edited by L&B's Mama, 20 March 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

First, I'm really glad they are loving all the new space! On to the question... well, as you know, you can't stop a hamster what it wants to do, they have a mind of their own. So, what I would do is try making a nest for her, or put her nest in a box or a hideout. Or, if that doesn't work try blocking it of with maybe some cardboard. I hope this helps!

#3 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I did make a nest for her because she was so busy chewing it that the babies tried to make a nest for themselves in the food bowl lol. My next investment for her is a little hideout. I shall try the cardboard idea. Thank you :)

#4 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Nope, that glue is nontoxic so it won't harm her. Silly hams! My old hamster when I had a tank awhile back used to do the same thing. Haha, they're like obsessed with that glue stuff. :laughing: A hideout should help, but some hammies don't use them. It all depends. Try giving her a plain Milkbone to chew, it may prevent her from chewing the glue stuff. :)

#5 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Well I threw three chew sticks in there and it seems to help. She seems to be fond of the blue chew stick versus the others lol.

#6 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

You might to try a simple Kleenex box rather than buying a hideout. My hamsters all shun the hideouts when I give them a Kleenex box. It's quite funny.

#7 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

I believe I have a Kleenex box. Thanks I'll try that :)