Photo

Hello

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am a new hamster owner. My boyfriend and I purchased a female Syrian hamster (Popcorn) about 3 months ago. We're both pretty new at hamster care. Regardless, we are not careless. We did months and months of research before getting her, because we want to give her the absolute best life we can. Things have gone pretty smoothly, but there have been a few snags. You will likely see some posts by me in the very near future asking about some issues that we've been unable to resolve.

I'll try to upload some pics of her soon.

I look forward to being part of this community. Since getting Popcorn, researching hamster husbandry has become kind of a hobby/obsession of mine. I always look forward to learning new things and sharing what I have learned.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Welcome to HH! :) It's always great to see new owners dedicated to researching and properly taking care of their new pets. You'll fit in well here--we're all kind of crazy for our hamsters and pets :P

Hope to see you around, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! ;D

Oh, and are you actually a taxonomist, or is it just a username? Just for curiosity's sake :)

#3 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to HH! :) It's always great to see new owners dedicated to researching and properly taking care of their new pets. You'll fit in well here--we're all kind of crazy for our hamsters and pets :P

Hope to see you around, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! ;D

Oh, and are you actually a taxonomist, or is it just a username? Just for curiosity's sake :)

Thanks!

I'm not a taxonomist (yet) in the sense that I don't actually have a stable job as a one. However, I'm a college student majoring in wildlife biology and taxonomy has proven to be my "thing," so to speak.

#4 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hello Taxonomist, so happy to see another animal enthusiast and keen researcher! Hamsters are curious little creatures, I too love researching about them.

Have you ever studied the wild hamster in your classes? That would be cool :headphones:

#5 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

Have you ever studied the wild hamster in your classes? That would be cool :headphones:

Not specifically, no. We got as far as Cricetidae in my Mammalogy class. We didn't go any more in-depth than family-level.