Photo

Stray cat. Please help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Whisper<3

Whisper<3

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

Hi everyone,
So yesterday on a bike ride on my street I came across a cat laying in a ditch on a curb. When it saw me it stood up skinny and ungroomed. It slinked fastly across the street. Today I saw it again crossing the same street. I left water and dog food out for it in the ditch where I first saw it( I have no cat food. ) Please help! I want to help this cat and catch it and bring it to my local humane society. I'm not sure if it is stray, or feral. It does look sick. Our local shelters arn't open on Sundays sadley, so can any of you think of a safe, humane, and inexspensive way to capture it? Thanks so much :) It hasn't touched the food yet, and I haven't seen it for about 4 hours. Should I put a more smelly food such as chicken or tuna out for it? Thanks so much,
Whisper1998. :)

#2 Rachel_Morgan

Rachel_Morgan

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

If you could afford one, a human live animal trap would be the easiest method to use.
Otherwise, put some tuna in a can down and see what happens. I usually try shaking a bag of treats - it surprises me how some strays just know regarding those! Others will be too skittish for these methods, however. Likely the cat will eat the tuna, but as soon as you approach, they will run. This is where a humane live animal trap would work best, as you have a much higher chance of catching him/her, especially if it turns out to be a feral cat.

I've heard of family friends setting food for the cats out on their deck/stoop and over time earning the trust of the cat. When they're able to approach, they will catch the cat and take to the shelter or a clinic, depending on the area.

Wish you the best of luck!

-Rachel & The Zoo.