Photo

Ruby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,783 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Ruby came into my life like an unexpected early spring on Valentine's Day~~ just like a flurry of fragrant lilacs, here and gone for the briefest of seasons.

as soon as I adopted her and took her home, I could see she'd be my next girlfriend dwarf~~ the title I gave female dwarfs who were extremely aware of my presence all the time, who ran to the door of their houses when they saw me, who learned their names almost instantly. who, as they ran on their wheels, kept looking out at me as if to ask, "are you watching me? are you watching me?" it had been a long time since my last girlfriend dwarf.

so, people ask me a lot how I *know* so much about hamster illnesses. I always say the same thing: my dwarfs taught me everything I know. and usually, the lesson is a painful one. it was no different this time.

after I'd had her for about a week and a half, Ruby started getting a bit round in the belly. she was 2 months old, and I automatically assumed she was pregnant. she frequently gave me a teeny nip if I insisted on holding her... nothing painful, just a little sensation of teefs on my skin. this too I assumed was another sign of her pregnancy. and her nest building.

last Tuesday was 21 days I'd had Ruby. she was now pretty big... and still no babies. 22 days. no babies. 23 days. she suddenly stopped her normal daily routine and went to her sandbox that she'd stuff with bedding. her eyes were closed and her expression was one of discomfort.

the heating pad went on and I tucked it under half of her sandbox. immediately she gravitated to it. I made up some of the rehydration solution and she consumed the 1.0ml in one minute. I got her to my vets on Friday. they x-rayed her and found no babies, only a massive amount of fluid from a source unknown. I picked Ruby up Saturday along with a small bottle of Lasix.

back on the heat. some more hydration solution. I also blended up some Critical Care for small herbivores into the hydration solution, and offered it to her in a wide-mouth syringe. she took 3 or 4 bites, then stopped. I was glad she'd tried to eat at all.

none of this mattered. the next day, Sunday, she died after it seemed something in her burst, flooding her body with the excess fluid. maybe there was a thin membrane holding all that fluid that wasn't visible in an xray. I could tell right away something horrible was happening... her eyes got really big and she opened her mouth wide, trying to breathe. I scooped her up and cried, Ruby, no! please don't go! but she went almost immediately... thankfully, for her, it was quick, under 1 minute.

tonite I buried her in my garden, next to the Japanese Anemones and the honeysuckle and the rose bush. all my beautiful flowers... they have a new beautiful flower in their midst now. goodbye my girlfriend. I knew I didn't have you forever. I just didn't expect it would be for so short a time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by missPixy, 16 March 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#2 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I know this can't be easy but we're here for you no matter what. I always hate it when I hear of hamsters dying before they got to live a full life. I'm so sorry. Rest in peace Ruby, your mommy loved you :angel:

#3 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Oh Miss Pixy, I wish you my deepest sympathies. :hug:

Little Ruby looked like she was always smiling in the photos that I saw of her, I am certain she loved the time that she did have with you.

Rest in peace little girlfriend.

Edited by hammyfriend, 16 March 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,345 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

She was a very special and lovely girl, you can tell that she knew how loved she was just by her expression in these photos. :heartbeat: My deepest sympathy to you missPixy. :hug:

#5 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Oh she was beautiful. Big hugs to you. And lots of love being sent to her at rainbow bridge x

#6 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

:grouphug: I'm so so sorry m'dear.

#7 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

This brought a tear to my eye :'(
I know what you mean by "Girlfriend Dwarf", my Syrian Millie was like that with me. When I went out and came back she'd be at her cage door waiting for me, looking out into the room. She'd nibble gently on the bars till I opened the door and she'd step tentatively onto my hand.
Blue's the same, too. From such shy beginnings she's become so bold now. She'll look at me when she does things, like she's tryna get my attention. The other day she pulled all the wooden beads and bits of logs off her hanging toy and grabbed the walnut, and when I approached her she came over to me, walnut in her mouth, and looked right at me as if to SHOW me what she'd done :) She seemed so proud of herself.
It's amazing the character they have, and how each hamster can be different, and capture your heart in different ways. It's like they all have their own ways of showing their affection, and trying to please their human masters.
I remember when you got Ruby. It seems like only yesterday. They give us so much love in such a short space of time don't they? And it's always precious, whether it's years, months, or just weeks.
Each hamster we get, each tiny friend we make, touches our hearts in different ways, even if they're with us only for a while. I think you and Ruby have given each other so much, and she passed peacefully, feeling your love and perhaps knowing that she'd helped you and given you some companionship.
Rest in peace, little Ruby :lovestruck: :heartbeat: :rose:

#8 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Oh missPixy I am so sorry to hear this. When you first shared her pictures I could see something special about her, it was in her eyes.
It's never fair when they leave earlier than they should, but she was certainly in the best of hands and was well loved while she was with you. Her time with you may have been short, but it seems like you both made a large impact on each other. <3

Rest peacefully little one.

#9 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby. I hope you're OK. :hug: It's obvious you too were really close and that you did everything you could to help her. May she rest in peace. :candle:

#10 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I know this can't be easy but we're here for you no matter what. I always hate it when I hear of hamsters dying before they got to live a full life. I'm so sorry. Rest in peace Ruby, your mommy loved you :angel:

it is so much comfort to have everyone on this forum to understand.

Oh Miss Pixy, I wish you my deepest sympathies. :hug:

Little Ruby looked like she was always smiling in the photos that I saw of her, I am certain she loved the time that she did have with you.

Rest in peace little girlfriend.

I do know that she was happy. that's what I try to keep in my mind.

She was a very special and lovely girl, you can tell that she knew how loved she was just by her expression in these photos. :heartbeat: My deepest sympathy to you missPixy. :hug:

thank you so much for all your messages and words, HH~~ :hug:

:grouphug: I'm so so sorry m'dear.

thank you very much.

Oh she was beautiful. Big hugs to you. And lots of love being sent to her at rainbow bridge x

:hug: :hug: :hug:

This brought a tear to my eye :'(
I know what you mean by "Girlfriend Dwarf", my Syrian Millie was like that with me. When I went out and came back she'd be at her cage door waiting for me, looking out into the room. She'd nibble gently on the bars till I opened the door and she'd step tentatively onto my hand.
Blue's the same, too. From such shy beginnings she's become so bold now. She'll look at me when she does things, like she's tryna get my attention. The other day she pulled all the wooden beads and bits of logs off her hanging toy and grabbed the walnut, and when I approached her she came over to me, walnut in her mouth, and looked right at me as if to SHOW me what she'd done :) She seemed so proud of herself.
It's amazing the character they have, and how each hamster can be different, and capture your heart in different ways. It's like they all have their own ways of showing their affection, and trying to please their human masters.
I remember when you got Ruby. It seems like only yesterday. They give us so much love in such a short space of time don't they? And it's always precious, whether it's years, months, or just weeks.
Each hamster we get, each tiny friend we make, touches our hearts in different ways, even if they're with us only for a while. I think you and Ruby have given each other so much, and she passed peacefully, feeling your love and perhaps knowing that she'd helped you and given you some companionship.
Rest in peace, little Ruby :lovestruck: :heartbeat: :rose:

I know you and Millie had this same relationship. and now with Blue! I love that
naughtiness, when they're so aware and know exactly how to get attention to
themselves! it shows how much we mean to them... I think that it what pulls my
heart so strongly, to see the reciprocal love from them.

Oh missPixy I am so sorry to hear this. When you first shared her pictures I could see something special about her, it was in her eyes.
It's never fair when they leave earlier than they should, but she was certainly in the best of hands and was well loved while she was with you. Her time with you may have been short, but it seems like you both made a large impact on each other. <3

Rest peacefully little one.

CH you are sooo right~~ we DID make a big impact on each other.
I have to keep telling myself that she was meant to journey quickly
through this time with me, and to on to her next adventure~~

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby. I hope you're OK. :hug: It's obvious you too were really close and that you did everything you could to help her. May she rest in peace. :candle:

thank you princesshamster~~ I know you've been through this too~~

#11 Owned

Owned

Junior Hamster

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Oh what a precious little girl and sad story. I'm so sorry for you.