Photo

Is it really impossible to keep Syrians together?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hello, my Syrian hamster Lucy had babies about 10 or 11 days ago. I read that it is almost near impossible to keep them in groups, but I want to know is it really? Because I bought a 5 gallon tank to keep the babies in after I seperate them from mom but I know I can only keep them in there so long before they start to outgrow it. My plan is that once they start to, to possibly put the dominant gender into a bin cage and the other gender into a slightly bigger cage. I know they won't be able to live with each other forever(although I have hope that they will) and I'm starting to look for homes for them. So my other question is will they be okay with each other for awhile while I try to find homes for them? And if I'm not able to find homes for all of them, will it be impossible for them to live with each other? I really don't want to have to give them to some random pet store.

Edited by L&B's Mama, 16 March 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

You can keep the babies together for 6 to 8 weeks (of age, that is) in same-sex groups. If you ask around starting now, I think you'll be able to find homes for all that need them :)

#3 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Oh okay :) I've found two possible homes and one almost guaranteed home :)

#4 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hey L&b. Where are you based? I'm looking for a Syrian and am reluctant to go to a petshop! X

#5 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

I believe L&B hails from the US, judging by her flag icon.
If you live near a Pets@Home, they often have hamsters up for adoption :) At least the one in Crayford does, if you're anywhere near there.
Anyway that's me done thread-jacking for today. As you were :)

#6 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:43 AM

Yes I am based in the US.

#7 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Sorry I'm on my phone so there is no little icon! Thanks for your help. I will remember to look for that when I'm in PC.

Thanks for the PAH suggestion. I have been looking (we have two local) but its usually just rabbits in ours! I will keep my eye out though.

I've just adopted two Chinese which were being terrorised by a cat! So am after a syrian after the recent loss of my lovely Dixie.

Thanks again :) x

#8 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

Lol you're fine Littleali I use my phone most of the time on here so I am unable to see icons as well :)

#9 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yeah it's so different on the phone, there's so much that doesn't work as well, or at all :(
Things like profile comments you can see, either.

#10 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Or updating statuses :/

#11 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this page and is still wondering, it is not best to keep Syrians together after 6-8 weeks of age. Once they mature the risk of fights will increase and if they do not fight than the stress of living together can compromise their immune system.

#12 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this page and is still wondering, it is not best to keep Syrians together after 6-8 weeks of age. Once they mature the risk of fights will increase and if they do not fight than the stress of living together can compromise their immune system.

Oh, boy I think I did my hamster some justice or at least I hope I did; she's 4 months old right now and I got her when she was 3. She seems to be doing really well for being with her litter mates for that long. :sweatdrop: