Photo

Putting siblings back together?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Petsrme307

Petsrme307

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

My friend got two female dwarf hamsters from a friend, then a week later they BOTH had babies! I took one of the mommas and a couple of the smaller babies (since the bigger ones were getting all the milk/food) when they were 3 or 4 weeks old. I returned two of the larger babies a week later so the two smaller ones could have momma to themselves (the rest of the litter is at her house. The males and females are in two seperate cages.) I still have the mom and two babies.
One is a girl (in with mom) and one is a boy (now in a seperate cage to they wont make more babies!). Can I return the male to his litter mates (with the males) without them picking on him?

Edited by Petsrme307, 15 March 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

You could try it! :) There are no guarantees, because it will depend on the individual hamsters too, but if you want to try, give it a shot. How many males are you planning on housing together?

First, I recommend reading the Housing Multiple Hamsters thread, to make sure you have all the supplies and space to try and get the best results you can.

As for introducing them, I've never heard of a specific method used for hamsters. If there is a better way, someone please let me know. But you can try introducing them very slowly; at first, just swap their old bedding so they can get used to each others' scents.
Then, switch their cages for a few minutes/hours per day at a time (don't let them meet yet, but this is just so they can get more familiar with the others' smells).
If all goes well and none show signs of being stressed, I would introduce them in a neutral place (free of the scents of either hamster, such as a bathtub or playpen or plastic bin) with houses/huts placed inside so they don't feel vulnerable out in the open. Make sure to watch them. If you're introducing a group of hamsters to a single hamster, at the beginning introduce them one at a time so he doesn't feel overwhelmed.
Continue doing this for a few days, and after they seem well acquainted, you can try housing them in a neutral cage (so, a cage neither have been in before), monitoring closely to see if they get along.

Good luck, and if you do decide to house them together, post results! :)

Edited by Plushie, 15 March 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#3 Petsrme307

Petsrme307

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thank you so much. I read the entire thread that you posted and it really helped. I already have momma and the girl in the size tank that was listed, so I am good there. I will just need to rig up a bin cage (I have plenty laying around) for the males.