Photo

Question about Sunflower seeds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

Earlier today I just bought Serenity Carefresh Hamster Food and I noticed there isn't any sunflower seeds; I am planning on buying some but the only thing I seem to find is salted sunflower seeds. Since I can't find unsalted or low salt how much salted sunflower seeds should I give her?

#2 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

You really shouldn't give her any salted ones.

Go to Safeway or another grocery store and go to their bulk food isle. You should be able to find unsalted sunflower seeds there.

#3 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Okay then, I'll have to go up to the Bulk Foods that is near my house to see if they have anything; why can't the places that are just walk a way have what I am looking for? Argh, it is frustating. :pullinghair:

#4 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

salted sunflower seeds are a big no-no.
Even one is just way too salted.
If you can't find any it's not a big deal, there are other fatty seeds out there such as pumpkin seeds, millet or black seeds that can be given.
Or you can give the occasional peanut for fatty oils.

#5 iAreTinaa

iAreTinaa

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Never, ever get salted sunflower seeds! I think it's great that there is no sunflower seeds in the bag, because it's just fat for the hamster.
Instead of searching for that in particular, you can get fruit bits! It should be served as an occasional treat (just like sunflower seeds are suppose to).
I know KAYTEE has the papaya treats. They're small orange cubes. There are also other flavors, too!

#6 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

I've just purchased some raw sunflower seeds and I've mixed it with the food; the hamster food outweights the sunflower seeds so she is getting them just as treats in her food.

#7 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Never, ever get salted sunflower seeds! I think it's great that there is no sunflower seeds in the bag, because it's just fat for the hamster.
Instead of searching for that in particular, you can get fruit bits! It should be served as an occasional treat (just like sunflower seeds are suppose to).
I know KAYTEE has the papaya treats. They're small orange cubes. There are also other flavors, too!

Sunflower seeds may be fatty, but those are good fats; sunflower seeds are highly beneficial.

@serinity
You should give your hamster about 3 sunflower seeds daily. (added into food or if you want to hand feed them)
My local Walmart has a bird isle and over there they have a HUGE bag of plain sunflower seeds. Maybe you could look in the bird isle?

Really any kind of sunflower seed is good. As long as its plain. :)

With CC food, you want to give your hamster a variety of extra nuts, and seeds, millet, hay, etc. CC doesn't contain to much of those beneficial seeds and nuts like Hazel Hamster does, so it's best to supplement them. (maybe a couple nuts/seeds a week) I have CC food too, but I have extra things like millet to feed him.

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 22 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#8 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Personally, if you are having to buy sunflower seeds in bulk, I would just save that money and instead buy another hamster mix that already has these in it, plus more variety. Carefresh Complete is really not a good food to use alone, in my opinion. There's hardly anything except pellets and corn in it. Maybe get something like Hartz Bonanza or Hazel Hamster, then you won't have to buy separate sunflower seeds. :)

#9 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

@HH: Ah, sorry for the late reply, actually what I've thought of is combining bird food with the Carefresh; if that isn't a good idea then I'll look into something else that I hope I can find in my stores that aren't the Kaytee foods.

@CCL: Thank you for the tips, I think I'm going to have to continue buying CC, and combine it with bird food or something else that adds variety to it.

I love the suggestions everyone has given me when it comes to Hamster Food but unfortunately half that stuff I have to buy online and I can't really afford buying online. The only food I can find in store is Carefresh Complete and all the Kaytee food trash. I am grateful I can find Carefresh Complete at all because I've been to three different stores and all seem to be pushing the Kaytee foods greatly.

Edited by SerenityHamster, 29 March 2012 - 02:22 AM.