Photo

People who judge "cheese" me off. (; (Rant)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

So I guess besides first grade, I've never really been called names.
Like seriously, when did people become THIS judgmental.
I knew people were, but I never thought it would be ME they were judging.
So here's the story,
I ended up talking about a singer, hero and friend; to my friend. About how he is a hero to me and stuff (: Well a girl who was next to me kinda started joining into the conversation and was talking about how everything I listen to is emo and how he is too. Then she started criticizing my bracelets (which are completely normal ._. She started being insanely rude. 'Ya know, I would like you so much more if you didn't wear those bracelets.' that's when I couldn't take it. So I pretty much said " I really don't care if you like me or not. I'm going to be myself. So if you don't like me, that's your problem. And Drake (my singer, hero, friend LOL ) ISN'T emo. I don't even know what emo is. Drake is DRAKE. He is an amazing person. You don't KNOW him. So stop stereotyping me, Drake, and everyone else that I look up to."

I've been called emo, goth, hipster, weird, etc.
All because of the music I listen to. I mean seriously. Those people clearly do not KNOW me. "My music preference doesn't show who I am as a person. Do you know what emo stands for? EMOTIONALLY DEPRESSED. Am I depressed? Doubt it. If you're in my home base, you know that 90% of the time I'm laughing. The other 10% is me silently laughing because I laughed to hard and my stoumach hurt. I don't listen to screamo. It's okay if it is like, one lyric of a song, but the genre doesn't appeal to me. I listen to rock. Black Veil Brides, KISS, Radio Head, Nirvana, Etc. Those bands are amazing. Better than the auto tuned things you listen to. They don't use a lot of screaming and their music has a message. I listen to Owl City, HelloGoodbye, NeverShoutNever, and CatchingYourClouds. They are HAPPY. Stop judging me if you don't know me. Because seriously,I don't care. I'm only writing this so you stop judging other people who may actually care. And to the people who actually don't judge me, thanks. It really shows who you are as a person and I'm so glad to know people like you (: ♥

I adore my music. It makes me stronger.
Mainly Black Veil Brides and CatchingYourClouds and NeverShoutNever.
I have finally stood up for myself. And I am so glad I did.
I owe so much to these musicians. I've met BVB and they have replied to me. And I constantly talk to Drake (CatchingYourClouds). Also, the singer of NSN has noticed me a couple times. ;D

Yeah. Teens are screwed up. =____=

#2 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

I'm sorry this happened. Honestly I don't listen to music that much but when I do it's country, rock, or songs with actual meaning. I don't care for rap AT ALL. My little sister and little brother think I'm weird for it and my boyfriend thinks it's funny to rap to me. It just rarely has any meaning to it and sounds too robotic. Still I've never heard someone called names in school because they listen to rock. That person is just really messed up. It's great your favorite groups have actually taken the time to talk to you too :) You don't really see that much now-a-days.

#3 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

In life you will always, always have people who don't like you. I myself gave up on trying to please people long ago. I surround myself with friends that like the same musicians as me. I'm kind of to the point (Well, I've always been to this point..lol) where I don't care what people say about me. At all. I let it go. Now, when people bad talk my bands is when the claws come out.

That whole depressed thing is a very, very touchy subject for me so I won't get too into that but I've been called groupie before. A lot, actually. Because I'm very close with a few band members. It's even gotten to the point where my own family joins in on the teasing. But um, when I was still going to normal high school (Home schooled now..haha) a few people would bother me every single day about my band, Shinedown. So I decided it was either punch them in the face and get expelled or just walk away and leave. I chose to leave.

Um, but what I've seen it's better to just ignore those people. 95% of the time they're only saying those things to get a rise out of you. And I completely get it if you can't just ignore it. My bands saved my life many, many times so I find it hard to ignore when people bad talk them.

..but yeah I definitely get where you'd coming from with the stereotyping bands, etc. Everyone assumes that because Shinedown is a rock band that they're rude guys but they're actually the sweetest, most hilarious, and adorable guys I've ever met.

But my advice to you is just ignore those people and enjoy your music. :)

#4 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Lol not sure where this started either. It's funny, because I see girls who are dumber than nails go a bout wearing rock shirts (even if they've never actually hear them), and get away with still remaining off the radar. I don't think it's always a matter of musical style, sure I think it matters somewhat, but people judge about first appearances the most. I think.
I've been bullied since grade 6. So I can sympathize. I was quiet, and hung out with mostly guys, and had no interest in being one of the girls. Because you're either an outcast, or a plastic-cookie cutter mold of the rest of the population. Personality wise, anyways. Style really means nothing. Dumb girls stick together you know? Lol.

High school is tough. I suggest you just do what you want, and don't let anyone bring you down. Chances are extremely high, the ones who cause you the most trouble will peak in high school, and that will have been their highest moments in their life-time. Which is sad. So think of it that way. People who KNOW who they are enjoy life more. Although we have to make sacrifices to do so, but once you're done you'll look back and laugh and how ridiculous everything was.

For some reason music does reflect how a person can perceive another person, though. Most people conform to a style specific music genres reflect. Not all. I still listen to screamo and punk rock, but since I graduated, I've grown more confident with who I was, and quit hiding behind the image that people gave me through the 6 years of school/torture. Because that's what it is usually...you can start to believe the things people tell you, and lose sight of who you are sometimes. Don't let that happen, just stay true to yourself. ;) And don't think you need to dress the part to play the part either lol. Just be yourself!