Photo

Good aspen Beddings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 aazo5

aazo5

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I was wondering what brand of aspen bedding would be best. I am using Premier Pet and Grreat Choice right now. Are those ones good too?

#2 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

I've heard that both of the brands your using now are low quality; they're dusty and, just not good quality aspen. Im not 100% sure, though, as I've never actually had this aspen.

A good brand that I have, and that everybody says is a very good aspen bedding, is 'Planet Petco Aspen' It's cheap and very good quality. Another is 'Kaytee aspen bedding and litter.' Maybe when your bags of aspen are done you can look into it. Grreat choice and premier pet make Pine and/or Cedar shavings which are HIGHLY TOXIC to small animals. . . Especially cedar. So there's always a chance that some cedar/pine oils are in the aspen if they are made in the same machine. You don't want that. :no:

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 06 March 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#3 aazo5

aazo5

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I've heard that both of the brands your using now are low quality; they're dusty and, just not good quality aspen. Im not 100% sure, though, as I've never actually had this aspen.

A good brand that I have, and that everybody says is a very good aspen bedding, is 'Planet Petco Aspen' It's cheap and very good quality. Another is 'Kaytee aspen bedding and litter.' Maybe when your bags of aspen are done you can look into it. Grreat choice and premier pet make Pine and/or Cedar shavings which are HIGHLY TOXIC to small animals. . . Especially cedar. So there's always a chance that some cedar/pine oils are in the aspen if they are made in the same machine. You don't want that. :no:

Do you think what I am using now is ok though?

#4 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Do you think what I am using now is ok though?

Yea. . . its fine for now. :)

#5 aazo5

aazo5

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yea. . . its fine for now. :)

Also, is CareFresh Wood bedding good? It doesn't say what kind of wood shavings are in it but it looks dark like aspen.

#6 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Also, is CareFresh Wood bedding good? It doesn't say what kind of wood shavings are in it but it looks dark like aspen.

Oh no :no: It's not. Even though Carefresh alone is a good bedding, The Carefresh with wood shavings is unsafe. Any softwood shavings are un-safe.

The safest bedding-- and pretty much the only bedding you should use, (with a few exceptions,) is aspen bedding, some type of paper based bedding, and cellulose based bedding like Carefresh. :)

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 06 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#7 aazo5

aazo5

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Oh no :no: It's not. Even though Carefresh alone is a good bedding, The Carefresh with wood shavings is unsafe. Any softwood shavings are un-safe.

The safest bedding-- and pretty much the only bedding you should use, (with a few exceptions,) is aspen bedding, some type of paper based bedding, and cellulose based bedding like Carefresh. :)

So regular carefresh is good though?

#8 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Carefresh Basic is the one that has the softwood shavings. As long as you are using Carefresh Natural (the brown paper type), Carefresh Ultra, or Carefresh Colors, you are safe. For aspen, Premiere Pet and Grreat Choice are very low quality and often have mites in them, from what I've heard. Kaytee brand of aspen is the best, in my personal use and opinion.

Kaytee has a new one that is a spin-off from Carefresh - this is also safe. :)

#9 aazo5

aazo5

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Carefresh Basic is the one that has the softwood shavings. As long as you are using Carefresh Natural (the brown paper type), Carefresh Ultra, or Carefresh Colors, you are safe. For aspen, Premiere Pet and Grreat Choice are very low quality and often have mites in them, from what I've heard. Kaytee brand of aspen is the best, in my personal use and opinion.

Kaytee has a new one that is a spin-off from Carefresh - this is also safe. :)

"Premiere Pet and Grreat Choice are very low quality and often have mites in them." Okay, this scares me. Lol. I'll get Carefresh natural next time. Are mites dangerous? Can they hurt hammys?

#10 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well, from what I've read, they mostly affect hamsters with low immune systems, and yes they can be horrendous to get rid of and also cause fur loss and lethargy (I think from sucking the blood?) I'm not fully educated on mites, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think that info is correct. As long as you don't see any black dots moving around in the bedding (or excessive scratching from your hamster), you should be fine. :)

#11 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was going to get aspen to day but I was afraid to chance mites too. I just got the huge thing of CareFresh which should last me a while. When I add the new cage though I am going to put aspen in there and CareFresh in the old one. Now I know what brands to stay away from and which are good :)