Photo

Urinary Infection - Quick question!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 katieflump

katieflump

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi there,
Just a quick one, took my hammie to the vet after he had passed quite a bit of blood. Vet confirmed a urinary infection and that his bladder was a bit sore and he has had 2 does of antibiotics today and seems fine and now has no traces of blood in his urine at all. Just wondering how you know the infection is gone? Should I continue with meds if the blood is gone?

Many Thanks
x

#2 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hello Katieflump:

From my experience, generally, 2 doses of antibiotics will not cure an infection, antibiotics are only effective if you complete the full dosage for the full prescribed length of time EVEN if the outward symptoms may not be showing to you. How long did the vet say to give them to your hamster?

The deceiving thing with antibiotics, is that they will quickly clear the symptoms, i.e.: the blood, but they have not cleared the underlying infection until you complete the full cycle. So you must complete the full cycle of antibiotics, or the infection could come back.

On another note, you'll want to make sure your hamster is drinking enough water, to keep all "systems flowing" so to speak. It is important for him to take in the antibiotics, but it is also important for his system to flush (pees) them out.

Feeding a 1/4 teaspoon of plain, yogurt 3-4 hours before the antibiotic dosage will be good for his intestines and tummy. Although rare, sometimes antibiotics can upset these systems, and probiotics will really help him feel even better.

Get better little hammy!

Edited by hammyfriend, 08 March 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#3 katieflump

katieflump

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! Im still very new with my hammie so him being unwell has left me over analysing! Vet said carry out meds for 7 days, we are on 3rd day today and hes been great with taking them and was nice and lively last night after i bought him a playpen to encourage some more exercise!

Thank you for the advice, this forum is so helpful :)