Photo

My homemade hamster mix (finally)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I finally got all the ingredients together and made my own hamster food.
Thank you to thefeldhamster who helped me out on flickr by giving me the basic composition of the diet that should be included,
and thank you to a user of a french hamster forum (SeriousMoonlight being her username, just in case) for her useful thread with ideas to add variety to a hamster diet.
All the ingredients added up to a total of around 25-30 euros for 5.5kg, so 6 euros per kg which is 1 euro cheaper than the best hamster mix available here in France.

The mix contains (in weight rather than percentage, easier when it comes to buying the ingredients):

- 1.5kg of cereal, both flakes and grain: oats (flakes), barley (grain), wheat (grain), rye (flakes).

- 1kg of small bird seeds: flat millet, canary, flax, rape, black sesame, hemp, clover.

- 1.5kg of freeze dried herbs, vegetables and flowers: milk thistle, alfalfa, wheat grass, dandelion, ginko leaves, carrot flakes, bell pepper (will be adding dried zuchinni and dried brocolli when I find them).

- 800g of freeze dried animal protein: mealworms, grass hoppers, gammarus (small shrimp), silkworm larvae.

- 500g of fatty seeds and nuts: walnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

- 200g of "treats": dried sweet pea flakes, rice flakes, dried fruit (banana, apple, papaya, cranberries).

All in good proportions for a balanced diet.
This is a diet made for Syrian hamsters, a diet for smaller species of hamsters should contain a majority of bird seeds instead of cereal, and less fruits.
Smaller hamsters should not have any flaked cereal in their diet either aparently, although I have not researched why since I don't own any dwarfs.

This isn't the cheapest or the easiest solution, but it's a more balanced and natural one (all products used are organic apart possibly the bird seeds and insects which were purchased in a pet store).

Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compared to "Versele Laga Hamster Nature", top quality brand here in france:

Posted Image

I thought I'd share incase other users would like to make their own mix.
You can add in variety as long as you get the amounts right, it doesn't have to be the exact same ingredients.

Edited by MilkyFactory, 12 February 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#2 tiago200

tiago200

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Great, thanks! the only,problem is that it's more expensive than the stuff i will be buying and getting those ingredients will be difficult but really nice job! I will still try it when I get back so thanks a billion!

#3 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

You don't have to try, it' sjust that to me, it's much better than a commercial mix.
Not to mention that you can swap around the ingredients to change.

#4 tiago200

tiago200

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

no, i would love to and the stuff i get is from the vets or an hour drive into town so if the vets stuff isnt good it's great to know how to make my own!

#5 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

It sure looks tasty! I've been wanting to at least add-in some better ingredients to my girls' mix for awhile. I have gotten some ingredients, however the greens have been difficult to find. I know you're in a different country but what kind of store did you find them in? I'm thinking of resorting the making my own, lol. :P

#6 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Awesome! Do you have any more info on dwarf diet percentages or can we just use the same basic recipe after removing flaked cereal and most of the fruit (at least for campbells/wws)? I'm also not sure about locating dried greens, but I'd be interested in figuring out a dwarf recipe and seeing what the cost comes up to in the US. Are you freezing any of it? You must go through food a lot faster than I do. I just have the one robo, so 5.5 kg would be around for awhile. I should be able to get seeds and nuts in small amounts from the natural grocery store, not so sure about the other stuff.

#7 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

C_H: I got mine at a herboristery who can order any types of dried plants for you (but all I bought they already had in store).
If you dont have these shops you could try finding chinchilla food, some brands make packs of dry plants and berries instead of pellets for chinchillas.
If you have the brand vitacraft where you are they make a great natural chinchilla diet and packs of diferent dried herbs.
They also make a great hamster diet actually. (their hamster mix, their chinchilla mix)
Or you could grow or buy the plants fresh and dry them yourself if you have an electric dehydrator.

edit: as for the dry fruits and veggies I got them at an organic food shop for us humans.

Lillias: for now I'm not freezing any, I have to see at what speed the hams eat this new mix. If I see they're slow, I'll freeze part of it so that it doesn't get lost.
thefeldhamster made a mix for campbells which would also suit robos although you could add a little dry fruit and veggies.
She has a huge variety of seeds in her diet which is great, but dont panic if you can't find that much.
Her mix is here, I'm sure she will see no inconvenient in you basing your own mix off of hers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29840567@N03/6406182637/in/photostream/

Edited by MilkyFactory, 13 February 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#8 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thank you, I will look into this. :) I do have an electric de-hydrater actually. I might just do that if all else fails.

For a roborovski mix, you will want to ensure that you have some of the dried insects, they need a bit higher protein than other dwarf species. ;)

#9 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

That looks amazing!!! Did you have your hammies eat it yet? Do they like it?

#10 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Im mixing it to their commercial diet slowly. :)
They picked out all of the new diet, so yes they do like it. :laughing:

#11 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

Ohhh, I love this MF! I've been trying to put together a natural diet for my hams for a while! But I was worried about not getting all of the nutrients right, I am going to try this.

Just curious, is there a reason why you didn't put corn in there?

#12 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

corn isn't very nutritive to hamsters, just sugary, so it's not very important.
It's usually included in commercial diet because it's cheap.

Edited by MilkyFactory, 13 February 2012 - 04:34 AM.

#13 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

Good to know, MoMo loves corn- no wonder! I try not to give him to much though, I pick some of it out of his food mix. I will remember that when I attempt to make this food mix, Thanx :highfive:

#14 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Ohhh, I love this MF! I've been trying to put together a natural diet for my hams for a while! But I was worried about not getting all of the nutrients right, I am going to try this.

Just curious, is there a reason why you didn't put corn in there?

A lot of people add on to a commercial mix rather than starting from scratch. However reading on the German forums, homemade mixes are popular and thefeldhamster's is one of the best one's I've seen so far, so if this mix is based off of hers then I'm sure much research went into it on her end. MF is usually pretty good and doing her homework too after all. ;)

#15 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

A lot of people add on to a commercial mix rather than starting from scratch. However reading on the German forums, homemade mixes are popular and thefeldhamster's is one of the best one's I've seen so far, so if this mix is based off of hers then I'm sure much research went into it on her end. MF is usually pretty good and doing her homework too after all. ;)

Hello, I totally agree with you CH, I know MF is very knowledgeable, which is why I am very interested in trying to make her mix. This is also why I asked her about corn, not to question her, but because I knew she would know a lot about it, and plus I know I can trust her response because she does so much research- she is hamster smart! :thumbsup: :goodvibes: :thumbsup: