Photo

Miette

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

Posted Image

Miette has passed on to the Rainbow Bridge :rainbow: :crybuckets:

I just don't know what happened to her :crybuckets: I go to my dad's on Wednesday and Friday, and had play practice and was busy Thursday, so she could've passed as early as Wednesday evening. It was so horrifying seeing her; she was just out in the open of the tank and I think Mirabelle was trying to eat her (I know it's her instinct). She was just a heap of bones and skin, no fur or anything :crybuckets: My mom had to take her out of the cage, I just couldn't handle it. It was just so sad that she had only been with me for a short 20 days and it would've been her first birthday tomorrow :'( I thought that maybe she'd have a great chance at life with me, but I somehow feel guilty that she left so soon :sad:

Unfortunately Miette didn't have the greatest life, she was apparently from Petsmart, taken as a pair. Both of them were advertised as males, and she had one litter at their house and was surrendered to a local humane society where she had her second. She was a busy mom apparently and seemed very worked up. I found out a few days after adopting her that she was a 'stargazer', which means she uncontrollably did backflips every so often. Half of the time I held her she was a sweet girl, but the other half she just couldn't control biting me. I certainly hope her babies get any of these behaviors :sad:

It's so cold out and the ground frozen- we had to put her in a small box like we do for every hamster but we had to put her in the compost. I feel terribly sad for her that she didn't get a proper burial.

She was such a great mom that got along with her youngest daughter, Mirabelle, beautifully. She really was a sweet girl but unfortunately her neurological disorder must've gotten to her :crybuckets: She was such a great little hamster and I do not regret her and her life was just as valuable as any other, though certainly more heartbreaking :heartbeat:

Here are the only pictures I have of her:

Posted Image

#2 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Oh Luci. /hugs/
You did an amazing job with her in the short time !
:) I wish we could have gotten to know her.
I hope she's already gained her wings and features
back, happily playing over the rainbow bridge now.
I'll miss her, that's for sure.

#3 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

Oh, this is so so sad. :crybuckets: Miette was such a beautiful hamster, even amidst the neurological issues she had. Do not feel that anything is your fault please. At least she was able to receive love and tender care for the last days of her life, rather then sitting in the shelter. :hug: You did a great job with her and never forget that.

Rest in peace Miette. :candle: :rose:

#4 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Oh Luci I am so sorry to hear this my heart just dropped when I saw the name in the title. *hugs* She had a rough start at life, but you did everything right by her. She was well cared for and obviously loved. She knows that her daughter is in good hands and that she was not alone in the end. Someone really cared for her and that is what matters.

Rest Peacefully beautiful little one. :candle:

#5 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

I am so sorry to hear about Miette! Your were a great mommy to her. Rest in peace, Miette. :rainbow: :hug:

#6 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Luci.. I don't know what to say. Today has been a terrible day for you I'm sure. Miette was so lucky to have you fall in love with her, and to take her runt baby with. Hopefully little Mirabelle will be okay on her own. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. How unexpected :/ Take care of yourself and please do not punish yourself. xoxoxoxo

#7 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I am REALLY sorry for you Luci!
Just think of it this way,
she enjoyed her last days with you and with her baby!
Again, I am really sorry for you and I hope Mirabelle can enjoy a lovely life with you, just as Miette did in her last days!

#8 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

This coupled with what you wrote about Smokey and Ember made me cry.

A beautiful girl with a beautiful name who got a second chance at life with you, Luci. When we rescue critters from miserable pasts--and even when we don't--each critter is a new and unpredictable adventure, and sometimes that adventure ends far too soon. My Mallory was dumped behind a bird store in the rain, and three months after I got her she began with the symptoms of reproductive tumors that took her from me three months later. What you wrote at the end was just beautiful, about having no regrets. The pain is oh, so real now, but ultimately the fact that you owned them will warm your heart. I hope Miette plays peacefully now, and that Mirabelle thrives and reminds you of the charming things about her mom. And may Smokey and Ember frolic on the other side of the Bridge.

Here's a heartfelt hug to you in consolation. *hug*

Edited by malloria, 06 February 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#9 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

This is so hard on you, :hug: remember we all understand. You saved this beautiful hamster from death really, YOU made her life even longer than what it could have in the shelter. Luci, Miette was given a second chance which you gave her and never gave up on her though she was a stargazer and past life. It doesn't matter HOW you remove/bury the animal, as long as you loved her and her soul matters which is watching over you from RAinbow Bridge. At last, may Miette rest in peace. :heartbeat:
P.S. I hope little Mirabelle is doing well.

Edited by Creative Hamster, 06 February 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#10 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Oh Lucy I am so sorry, Miette was really a beautiful hamster. As others have said, don't punish yourself. Despite the neurological disorder, little Meitte did get to live out the last few weeks of her life with someone who loved her. I recall your concerned posts regarding her stargazing. This must be such difficult diagnosis for a hamster parent to handle, I can't imagine. Perhaps you can find solstice in the fact that if she had not fallen into your loving hands she may have never felt love at all, you gave her the gift of love. I am so sorry :hug: :hug:

#11 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Oh Luci. /hugs/
You did an amazing job with her in the short time !
:) I wish we could have gotten to know her.
I hope she's already gained her wings and features
back, happily playing over the rainbow bridge now.
I'll miss her, that's for sure.

Thanks :) It's such a shame that we all didn't get to know her better. On her good days she was such a sweet gal :lovestruck: I'm sure she's much happier now, though.

Oh, this is so so sad. :crybuckets: Miette was such a beautiful hamster, even amidst the neurological issues she had. Do not feel that anything is your fault please. At least she was able to receive love and tender care for the last days of her life, rather then sitting in the shelter. :hug: You did a great job with her and never forget that.

Rest in peace Miette. :candle: :rose:

She was such a busy mom, I'm very glad that she got to spend her last moments in peace at my home. Miette was so beautiful, too. Thanks :hug:

Oh Luci I am so sorry to hear this my heart just dropped when I saw the name in the title. *hugs* She had a rough start at life, but you did everything right by her. She was well cared for and obviously loved. She knows that her daughter is in good hands and that she was not alone in the end. Someone really cared for her and that is what matters.

Rest Peacefully beautiful little one. :candle:

Thank you, this really helped comfort me :hug: I hope she knows how much I cared for her.

I am so sorry to hear about Miette! Your were a great mommy to her. Rest in peace, Miette. :rainbow: :hug:

Thank you, princesshamster, she was a joy to be with.

Luci.. I don't know what to say. Today has been a terrible day for you I'm sure. Miette was so lucky to have you fall in love with her, and to take her runt baby with. Hopefully little Mirabelle will be okay on her own. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. How unexpected :/ Take care of yourself and please do not punish yourself. xoxoxoxo

It's been really hard on me these past few nights :'( Mirabelle seems to be doing well, actually. Thank you.

I am REALLY sorry for you Luci!
Just think of it this way,
she enjoyed her last days with you and with her baby!
Again, I am really sorry for you and I hope Mirabelle can enjoy a lovely life with you, just as Miette did in her last days!

Thank you, helping me remember the positives is great :)

This coupled with what you wrote about Smokey and Ember made me cry.

A beautiful girl with a beautiful name who got a second chance at life with you, Luci. When we rescue critters from miserable pasts--and even when we don't--each critter is a new and unpredictable adventure, and sometimes that adventure ends far too soon. My Mallory was dumped behind a bird store in the rain, and three months after I got her she began with the symptoms of reproductive tumors that took her from me three months later. What you wrote at the end was just beautiful, about having no regrets. The pain is oh, so real now, but ultimately the fact that you owned them will warm your heart. I hope Miette plays peacefully now, and that Mirabelle thrives and reminds you of the charming things about her mom. And may Smokey and Ember frolic on the other side of the Bridge.

Here's a heartfelt hug to you in consolation. *hug*

Thank you for the kind words :heartbeat: Although not my first rescue she was definitely the saddest case overall. I hope that the last 3 weeks of her life were comfortable and that she felt loved.

This is so hard on you, :hug: remember we all understand. You saved this beautiful hamster from death really, YOU made her life even longer than what it could have in the shelter. Luci, Miette was given a second chance which you gave her and never gave up on her though she was a stargazer and past life. It doesn't matter HOW you remove/bury the animal, as long as you loved her and her soul matters which is watching over you from RAinbow Bridge. At last, may Miette rest in peace. :heartbeat:
P.S. I hope little Mirabelle is doing well.

Thank you, all of these supportive words really are comforting me :hug:

Oh Lucy I am so sorry, Miette was really a beautiful hamster. As others have said, don't punish yourself. Despite the neurological disorder, little Meitte did get to live out the last few weeks of her life with someone who loved her. I recall your concerned posts regarding her stargazing. This must be such difficult diagnosis for a hamster parent to handle, I can't imagine. Perhaps you can find solstice in the fact that if she had not fallen into your loving hands she may have never felt love at all, you gave her the gift of love. I am so sorry :hug: :hug:

It's so hard, and I hope she knows how much I loved her. She really taught me unconditional love :heartbeat:

#12 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I know it's kind of late but there are a few other pictures of Miette that I'd like to have somewhere on this forum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They're not good at all, however they were the last pictures I have of her :heartbeat:

#13 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

She is beautiful. <3

#14 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

She is lovely! What I notice in those close pix is how her dark eyes have a red hue. . . . I'd say that she had the ruby-eyed mottled gene, which if present shows up in black-eyed hamsters as a red glow in the proper light. This would only have been of note if she had been bred to another ham with the gene--that genetic combination gives 25% eyeless, toothless white pups. My Mable must have the gene too. Her red eyes in flash lighting are like no other red eyes I've ever seen! Think Rudolph's nose! :rotfl: