Photo

IDEA for a new board

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#16 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I don't mean to sound retarded, (and I'm sorry if I do) but how would time zones effect the board? Whether it's 6:00 AM, or 6:00 PM, If you say,

"What to wear to a party? -8 hours"

8 hours is still 8 hours. Right?

I agree... but maybe if someone said by like 8 PM that would be a problem.

#17 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I agree... but maybe if someone said by like 8 PM that would be a problem.

Yeah... well then that could be in the guidelines then. Not to say "By 8 PM" and to say "In 8 hours"

#18 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

yeah cos, think about it say you post at 11AM right and you need it for
8 hours later right?
It won't matter what time you have posted your topic, whether its 11AM or 11 PM,
its still 8 hours deadline... get me?!

#19 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

The term "emergency" makes me think someone's hurt or dying. What to wear for a party doesn't qualify as an emergency, kwim? Maybe "urgent" or "time sensitive" would be better. No one should rely on forums for actual emergencies (with the exception perhaps of hamster emergencies when the vet is closed).

#20 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

^That is absolutely correct GG. :) However, if someone in the mid U.S. were to post an 8 hour emergency at 10 pm, this would mean the deadline is 6 am their time. However, since the majority of U.S. members probably go offline/to bed around this time, it would mean there would be VERY few replies from members in that country. However, for members of Singapore (which I believe is 6 hours ahead), this would mean an 8 hour time span for them is 4 am - 12 pm that your message would show up and you may get some replies from people in that time zone. Does that make sense? :)

So basically each member would have to look at the time stamp on the message (which should show up in their local time), and estimate the amount of hours from the time of posting to see what time is left. This is one of the reasons why the posts would have to be locked at the end of the time to help keep confusion down.

But, I definitely see all of the negatives of this idea as well, which people have brought up. I dunno, it was just a thought but maybe wouldn't work the best. :scratchchin:

#21 MsCrumby

MsCrumby

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

I think it's a good idea but maybe instead of an entirely different section, maybe use it to hype up the 'other hobbies and interests' section? It seems to be a pretty quiet area of the forums anyway and it'd be nice to get more people in there. At least that way too, you rule out the 'is it an emergency or not' debate because it'll be in the right section anyway and you don't have to spend forever sorting through the various different subject matters. I think no matter what people are always going to disagree on what they define as an emergency so having a general sort of panic board will maybe get a bit confusing, or like others have said, just to get a faster reply.
Like perhaps have a 'time sensitive' sub section in each little bit, I think there's near enough a section for near enough every problem that could come up.

As for the time zone issue... I don't think there's much to do about that at all, but we have enough members from all over the world to be able to contribute in some way :)

#22 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

I like the idea of a "time sensitive" section in "other hobbies and interests". For hamster care, urgent matters generally go in "ailments and injuries" anyway. The other areas of the forum don't need an urgent section, as far as I can tell.

#23 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

I also agree on having it in the "other hobbies and interests"section. It'll bring in more people to that section as I also agree that it's not used very often. :)

#24 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Yes, this is very good thinking MsCrumby. :thumbsup: Sounds much better, though I'm still not 100% sure on any of this, at this point. But alas, sometimes ideas stay just that.....ideas. :cheeky:

Edited by HoppingHammy, 09 February 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#25 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

instead of a sub section why not a topic in each section?