Photo

Recycled hamster pouch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 yuki34543

yuki34543

Baby Hamster

• 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

I've looked around on the internet and I've seen some hamster pouches. I had a bunch of old cloth and clothes so I'd make one and now I want to share how i did it with everyone else!

You will need: A pair of good scissors, Thread, A needle (or a sowing machine, I'll be telling you how to hand sow it.), Spare cloth or old clothes or both, and your Imagination!

Note: Do not use a running stitch. use an overcast stitch. To tie a knot, put your needle under the previous stitch and before you pull your thread all the way through, put your needle through the loop that is created and pull tight.

First off, you will need to choose cloth or a piece of old clothing that you want to use. There are a few ways you can do it.

The first way is to use the sleeves on a long sleeved shirt (this is by far the easiest to do) You will cut your choice size of the sleeve, turn the sleeve inside out and then sow along the bottom (the bottom will be the part without the cuff, if your sleeve does not have a cuff then you get to chose which part the bottom is) Leave the top open.

When your done the outside should look like this. (this is when it is inside out first way)
Posted Image

The second way to do it is to fold your cloth in half, or, if you use an article of clothing use the seem to be your half. When you cut it, you should have one long piece of cloth folded in half. Make it so the side that you want on the outside, is on the inside, this will make a clean seam. Then sow up the sides. You want to keep the outside inside out for a while.

cloth, not sown, outside facing in.
Posted Image

When your done, it should look like this. (This is when it is inside out)
Posted Image

If you want to have just the outside part, then turn it right side out and your done~! However, if you want to make a lining, There is more.

For the lining use your outside part as template and cut as close as you can to it. Then you repeat the steps for the first way if your using sleeves, or the second way if your using cloth. You can mix and mach the ways of course, (i did the second way for the lining and the first way for the outside part) Then, you will turn the lining so it is right side out, and keeping the outside inside out, you will put the outside part into the lining, then, if your lining is a little bit bigger then the outside part, fold down the lining so the end of the lining is the same or shorter then the outside part. around the opening sow the lining to the outside part. when that is done, turn your hamster pouch so your outside part is now on the outside. Then hand wash it and let it air dry. When its dry, Time to play!

Lining right side out
Posted Image

Lining right side out, outside part inside out
Posted Image

the outside part that is inside out, inside the right side out lining
Posted Image

Lining sown to the outside part.
Posted Image

Finished product
Posted Image

Yukio says hello!
Posted Image

If you make one or have made one post it here!

#2 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

it's a portable sleeve! Excellent work, Yuki :D

#3 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

That's cool! I gotta try that, thanks for the idea :yes:

#4 mercgirl

mercgirl

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Very simple, yet creative and fun - Thanks! :thumbsup:

#5 Aluyasha

Aluyasha

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

I bet Hannibal would love that!
Is there any fabric that should be avoided?

#6 yuki34543

yuki34543

Baby Hamster

• 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Try to avoid fabric that frays, or pulls apart easily after you cut it because the hamsters can ingest the threads. You should cut a test piece and see if it frays easily before you use it. If you use a fabric that frays I would recommend using a sowing machine instead of hand sowing it. I would also try to avoid things that cant be sown together easily like silk which also frays. Personally I would use fabrics like fleece, Thick cotton, or flannel.

#7 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Wow! That is a really clever idea! Good Work!

#8 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Great work, I have one somewhere, but muffin hates it ...LOL!

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

And for tho0se that cannot sew:
No Sew Accessories
Instead it's a serious of knot tying, and ends up looking rather nice. I used to make them for my rats.

#10 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

That is so awesome! You are a really talented sewer. I'm going to make one! :D