Photo

Can a hamster eat this?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi HH ! :wave:

we have this 'Cream Of Wheat' cereal laying around and its basically tiny;fine wheat pieces. I already plan to feed regular oats, wheat germ, and flax seeds (a small pinch) every other day as part of my hamsters diet. This stuff is basically like oats and wheat germ, but I don't plan on making it part of his actual diet like the oats, WG, and FS, more like a healthy treat. If it is safe I plan on giving a pinch twice a week (every 3 days) added on top of seed mix, or a small teaspoon once a week.

here's the ingredients, nutrition facts... etc

Posted Image

*NOTE* I'm not going to give him this flavor, i'm going to give him the original one that we do have, but I just couldn't find it. Anyway... the original and this one have almost the exact same ingredients. Is this flavor ok too and can I give it as often as I planned?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Additional questions:
it seems to have a good amount of protein. Could I give him a tiny pinch on top of seed mix once or twice a week for his weekly protein?

could I soak it in water or milk? (when I soak it in water or milk, it clumps up and becomes kind of like a thick chunky stew or like clay potty litter when it clumps up) its essentially a porridge...

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 15 January 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#2 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hey Canine Cavy,

I am not totally sure on the nutrition info, but I know cream of wheat is really healthy for people (who don't have wheat allergies, lol)
If you decide to feed the hamster cream of wheat you would have to cook the cream of wheat according the the instructions, to ensure the distribution of the quick cooking agent. For this reason, I would not advise you to sprinkle it raw on his food; cream of wheat needs to be boiled in a pot of water or milk- it is similar to quick cooking oatmeal. Otherwise the cereal would soak up the liquid in the hamsters stomach, which could "clog" the hamster aka: constipation. :gasp: The fact that it is clumping when you put it in water means that the quick cooking agent is not being disbursed, but instead sitting there in big lumps- which is likely to be what a hamster would go for, which would not be good.

But if you cook it, I think it should be ok. :scratchchin:

Edited by hammyfriend, 15 January 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#3 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

The original flavor doesn't have the quick cooking agent (I'm almost certain) would the original be ok then?

Does the same thing apply for oats then? Because I'm using the oats that come in packets you cook with but it doesn't say quick cooking or anything like that, just says 'Quaker instant oatmeal' original.

#4 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Hello:

Yes, the same applies for instant oatmeal, just want to double check are you talking about the "single serve packets"?

I would not recommend feeding the hamster instant oatmeal, for the same reason as the cream of wheat, I have had friends who have gotten constipated from instant oatmeal- (as in the stuff in the packets that you add boiling water to and let sit for 2 minute) even when its cooked. If you could get raw oats like rolled oats or old fashioned oats, and even those need to be soaked in water or soy milk before serving to a ham, and not given in the raw form.

If you look on the quaker oats website, scroll down a bit and you will see all of their oat products. The "good" oats are the very first one (top left corner): Quaker Oat (aka Quaker old fashioned oats), the oats than would not be good would be the Quaker instant oatmeal, or any variation of it (the 4th one on the top row, to the left of old fashioned oats)

http://www.quakeroats.com/products.aspx

Are you absolutely sure that the original cream of wheat does not have a quick cooking agent? You want to be absolutely sure otherwise you could have a seriously "bunged" up hamster. Even then I still would not feed it to the hamster in the raw form, just to be safe- because cream of wheat, just like raw oats, needs liquid to expand.

But I think cooking a little bit of cream of wheat, and feeding it occasionally to the ham, would be ok.

I get all of my oats and flax seeds from the bulk section of my supermarket, this way I can get a tiny, little hamster sized amount, so it does not get wasted.
:wave:
Look forward to seeing your hamster when you get it!

Edited by hammyfriend, 16 January 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#5 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Oh! You should have told me that before I wasted 3 oatmeal packets :(

So is raw old fashioned oats ok? The oats are part of my diet.... And I dont want to cook them every other day just to feed my hamster :( I've seen people who feed their hamster raw oats all the time and they have been just fine? So I'm kinda confused...

I'll just steer clear of cream of wheat. (maybe sometimes I'll cook it in soy milk and give it to him as a treat :))

And is steel cut oats better than regular oats?

#6 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

(I am not usually on HH after 1:00 AM)

You don't need to cook up a batch of raw oats for your hamster everyday, but because oats expand, in my opinion I would recommend soaking the oats. By this I mean put raw oats in a little dish with some soy milk, or water or organic plain yogurt, and leave them sit for a few minutes, then serve. This way the oats will use the liquid from the dish to expand rather than using the liquid in the hamsters tummy to expand. I see many people on HH who do this with oats, including myself. Although MoMo does not seem to like oats...fussy.

#7 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

(I am not usually on HH after 1:00 AM)

You don't need to cook up a batch of raw oats for your hamster everyday, but because oats expand, in my opinion I would recommend soaking the oats. By this I mean put raw oats in a little dish with some soy milk, or water or organic plain yogurt, and leave them sit for a few minutes, then serve. This way the oats will use the liquid from the dish to expand rather than using the liquid in the hamsters tummy to expand. I see many people on HH who do this with oats, including myself. Although MoMo does not seem to like oats...fussy.

but people reccomend giving raw oats to prevent diarrhea?

#8 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

I understand that if a hamster is at risk for diarrhea, like for example because of excessive antibiotics, then YES feeding raw oats could help to solidify the bowels. This ties in to what I said , since raw oats expand, this could slow bowel movements by sort of clogging the digestive tract. But a healthy hamster is not going to randomly have diarrhea, and by attempting to prevent it, you could instead constipate the hamster.

Once more, I maintain, in my opinion, that you should soak the raw oats before feeding them to the hamster.

#9 masterofboots

masterofboots

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Like instant oatmeal, this product seems too processed to me. At least, i won't be feeding my hams with it, because I feel that while humans have the capacity to handle processed food, the less hams eat of it the better. I feed my hams regularly steel cut oats, or raw rolled oats, and they like it. I think it's a good high nutrition food that hams can eat.

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I agree with Hammyfriend, that oats are a two-fold dietary supplement. Dry oats are wondering IF your hamster has diarrhea, not to prevent it if it's not even a problem. It can cause too much expansion in the stomach which can, exactly, cause constipation and other problems. But oatmeal soaked in milk or water makes a great healthy-weekly treat. In small amounts, of course.

Of course I also agree cream of wheat isn't the best option, if you stick with just regular oats. Even rolled oats, or what have you. Anything works, really. As long as it's as unrefined as possible.

#11 skywilling

skywilling

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Wow, I've always fed dry oat flakes and never even imagined it might not be good! :O

#12 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

I agree with Hammyfriend, that oats are a two-fold dietary supplement. Dry oats are wondering IF your hamster has diarrhea, not to prevent it if it's not even a problem. It can cause too much expansion in the stomach which can, exactly, cause constipation and other problems. But oatmeal soaked in milk or water makes a great healthy-weekly treat. In small amounts, of course.

Of course I also agree cream of wheat isn't the best option, if you stick with just regular oats. Even rolled oats, or what have you. Anything works, really. As long as it's as unrefined as possible.

How long would you soak the oats for?

#13 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Well, I'm going to waltz into this thread and give a different opinion from the rest of you. :innocent:

1. Oats should not be constipating, provided you drink an adequate amount of water as you should be anyway. (And most people do not.) Oats, if anything, are roughage and GOOD for constipation; they are quite high in fiber!

2. I do NOT recommend giving steel cut oats to hamsters, or anything that is not instant for the reason: The instant oats are very soft and crumbly. The steel cut and larger ones that take longer to cook are pretty sharp along the edges. If they stuff it in their cheek, it could possibly cut.

I have given all of my hamsters just a pinch of plain, uncooked instant oats every other day on a consistent basis and have had NO problems. If anything their bowels improved from overly hard/dry to soft and moist. This is, of course, provided that you also give fresh food every night. By the way, when I say plain, I mean the ones that come in a round canister with no added sugars or flavors.

Nutrition is something I've studied intensely, and am really surprised at the bad rap oats has gotten on this thread? :scratchchin: That's just my opinion, but you are free to do as you wish. I don't trust people who say, "Oh oats are bad" and have never tried them before and just going based off of someone else's opinion. The proof is in the pudding, and I'm sticking with my oats. :yes:

And yes, you can also soak them in soy milk. It shouldn't be too long at all. Probably around a minute if that. :)

Edited by HoppingHammy, 22 January 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#14 ThinkMusic

ThinkMusic

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Oh! You should have told me that before I wasted 3 oatmeal packets :(

So is raw old fashioned oats ok? The oats are part of my diet.... And I dont want to cook them every other day just to feed my hamster :( I've seen people who feed their hamster raw oats all the time and they have been just fine? So I'm kinda confused...

I'll just steer clear of cream of wheat. (maybe sometimes I'll cook it in soy milk and give it to him as a treat :))

And is steel cut oats better than regular oats?

I use plain oats, not in packets, just in that big jar; I got mine at a health food store though

#15 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Please don't get me wrong (or take what I said out of context) I never said that oats are bad, in any way, shape or form, I know that natural oats are very healthy for people and for hamsters. In fact, I consume oatmeal 3-4 times a week myself, and I enjoy it very much. :thumbsup:

Everyone is entitled to care for their hamster as they please, and I choose to stick to a natural, holistic approach that avoids processed foods (such as food with quick cooking agents). All I am saying is that oats should be soaked or cooked, in order to be softened, before consumption, in my opinion.

Edited by hammyfriend, 23 January 2012 - 11:27 AM.