did peppermint oil/clove extract kill my hamster???
Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:15 AM
What exactly is toxic to hamsters--I've had them continuously for 20 yrs and am totally upst over this Vets Best product--were the ingredients fatal?? Please reply asap, I need to bathe my dog!
Thankyou so much,
Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:38 AM
What kind of hamster was Lucky? If he's a dwarf, then it could of been that his time was just up and not because of the shampoo. Dwarf hamsters usually only live 1 year.
Im so sorry for the loss of Lucky :( RIP Lucky
Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:36 AM
Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:47 AM
Dwarf hamsters don't have a life span of 1 year, more like 1.5-2 years. Even then it depends on the species of dwarf. Roborovski dwarf hamsters have a lifespan of 2-3 years, many living closer to three years. The theory behind that is that since they are so newly domesticated, they haven't been overbred and inbred enough for such issues to plague the species. As they become more popular their lifespan could decrease.
There is also no such thing as teddy bear hamsters, they are just a nickname used by pet stores and back yard breeders to make them seem fancier and sometimes to even charge more money. They are actually Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus).
Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:53 AM
Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:32 PM
As far as toxicity, I found references to one study where mice were fed clove oil to treat pneumonia. I found other information about the increase toxicity of clove cigarettes over regular cigarettes, as well as a study on lethal dosages for rats. Peppermint oil seems to be a similar story: a little won't hurt but a lot is harmful. However, in the toxicity studies on rodents, the mice or rats were being fed a fair amount of clove oil or peppermint oil. Given that the rodents needed to consume X amount of the substance before dying, I think it's safe to say that exposure to a little secondary vapor wouldn't be fatal. Vapors from "the toxic flea stuff" may be worse, I couldn't say.
Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:07 PM
Please avoid peppermint at all cost. My condolences to you and your family. I know what it's like to lose a pet. :(