Photo

Major work rant....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

Trying not to smash my face against the desk, so this is how I'll express my anger....'non-violently'.

I was supposed to quit this place like, a year ago. I've hung onto it for far too long. But I am very picky with where I'll apply...This has been the only job I've had, not including the 3 days I spent working at Dollarama as an assistant manager, then quit because I almost lost my mind. Anyways.
So, like a monthish ago, my manager got fired...or as they put it, "laid off". BS. No, he was fired. Why? Really, I couldn't tell you. But I have a theory.

Before he was the manager, there was this other girl---who, don't get me wrong, I love her a lot. She's a lesbian, and is getting married to an equally awesome girl, so. I try not to let this situation cloud my opinion on them---she was, at the time, incompitent. She took weeks off work for being sick, she didn't get the work done, so she just quit randomly one day. So then my ex-manager got hired, and he did a <basement> of a job keeping that place afloat for over almost a year. So then this girl (my friend) comes in one day and has a meeting with my three bosses (yes I have 3 now o___O), and basically they tell them to fire Dustin. So they do, and now they come in and work two nights a week. What does this prove? Again, I couldn't tell you.

So my new-new boss (whose one of my boss' husbands) is a complete idiot. He knows nothing. He keeps telling me he's going to make this better, because I've done nothing but complain about how disgusting the place is. And it is, it always is.
All he's done in the last month is put price tags on the shelves. Woo. Good job bud. What about the orders of dog food that are weeks overdue, as well as all the other orders? We're losing customers, and it's like they just can't see it. So who do they blaim? Me. Why? Because my monthly sales are not as high as they'd like them to be.

o_______________________________O
Okay first off, I am hardly part-time. I work like two nights, and one half-weekend shift. Grand total? MAYBE 12 hours a week. And they're comparing me to the other two idiots who work there that are full time....REALLY? Like really?
And guess who does nothing but clean cages, because no one else lifts a finger. And I mean this with no bought of exaggeration. I clean everything. And we have probably about 20-30 animals (birds, reptiles, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas...excluding fish, but BETTAS TOO), at any one time. Tell me how I can do this alone with the hours I have, PLUS costomer service alone?

I can't even...
It's like the place is run by children.

So over the last three weeks, I've been bumped down to 4 hours a week. Not sure whose idea was this, but do they seriously expect me to be cool with this? How long do they think I am going to stick around with no hours? Any idiot could answer that, clearly I am dealing with people beyond idiocy.

So the other day I went in and tore this new boss a new one. I said flat out, I found a new job. Sort of lied, sort of diddn't. The manager at another pet store told me she'd give me a call back (with almost certainty that I got the possition) when she returned from holidays. She gets back sometimes next week.
So then he pipes up and says:
"If I give you full-time, would you stay?"
Okay so where am I goin to get full-time? You're just going to take time off of the others' schedules for me? Don't think so. I need a solid 40 hours a week EVERY week, or you're not worth my time. I told all three of them that months ago, they failed to listen. So I give up.

So then this week I am told I'm just taken off the schedule. So really I don't know what the <basement> to expect...whatever. I don't care. If I'm jobless for a week, no one will die. That 4 hours I might have had next week isn't worth my pain and suffering anymore.

Oh yeah, and I reported them to the humane society, and animal control came in and gave them a swift warning that if they didn't take the sick rabbit into the vet in 48 hours...<poop> hits the fan. I don't know exactly what they would have done, a fine probably.
That rabbit sat in the back room to die for probably 3 weeks. That's complete and utter cruelty, like they might as well just sent him out in the back for the dogs, honestly. And this becomes a monthly problem. They get sick and they leave them, or they just die. No one cares.
I would have taken him into the vet, but I had no money. Christmas kicked me hard this year, and I only see my cheque once a month because you know, they're so convenient and everything. And of course this month my boss couldn't get her thumb out of her <bottom> and give us our checks earlier than New Year's Eve so we could have our money then. So we got them the 31st, so the banks weren't open until the following WEDNESDAY... Seriously.

I need someone to seriously slap me if I ever try to go back there. Because I might try....whose going to take care of the animals? That's making me feel pretty bad right now.

#2 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

UGH!!!! :pullinghair: :pullinghair: Oh my oh my....where to begin?

I don't even know what to say, honestly! That's so messed up! Like, the thought of you leaving that place and no one helping the animals is incredibly sad, but at the same time (for sanity's sake!), you can't stay there with all that (*beep*) going on. :disappointed: If they would indeed hire you full time, that would solve your money problems AND help the animals, but you still would have to put up with all the lameness regarding your bosses and people who work there. *sigh*

Good for you for reporting them to the SPCA. Maybe if you keep doing so they can eventually shut down and you can find a good job without worrying about what will become of the critters. WHY do people get into the pet business and care only about money? Go sell lumber or computer parts for crying out loud. :hissyfit:

This is pretty much of NO help to you....sorry. I just don't even know what to say or how something like this could ever be fixed.

#3 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

This sounds, sooo sooo bad! :pullinghair: :mindblowing:
Poor you is what i'll say. :disappointed:
If that person with the other shop got back to you
Take the job.
(well I think you should do that)
I smiled when I saw that you reported them! :goodvibes:

Edited by muffin hamster, 07 January 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#4 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

UGH!!!! :pullinghair: :pullinghair: Oh my oh my....where to begin?

I don't even know what to say, honestly! That's so messed up! Like, the thought of you leaving that place and no one helping the animals is incredibly sad, but at the same time (for sanity's sake!), you can't stay there with all that (*beep*) going on. :disappointed: If they would indeed hire you full time, that would solve your money problems AND help the animals, but you still would have to put up with all the lameness regarding your bosses and people who work there. *sigh*

Good for you for reporting them to the SPCA. Maybe if you keep doing so they can eventually shut down and you can find a good job without worrying about what will become of the critters. WHY do people get into the pet business and care only about money? Go sell lumber or computer parts for crying out loud. :hissyfit:

This is pretty much of NO help to you....sorry. I just don't even know what to say or how something like this could ever be fixed.

I know, that's what's driving me insane right now. :sad: And now my two friends working there are heckling me and actually being quite rude to me...Ugh. I went in with Emma to get her food, and of course it STILL wasn't there...and all I wanted to do was just leave me key, and call in sick Sunday. Because I am not on anyone's good side, and really I don't understand any of it. I owe them NOTHING, and because I want to move on they treat me like this? I'm actually afraid my bosses will be in Sunday and I'll just snap. I just need to pull through one more day.

I did also hear my other boss---the one I've always loved and who actually likes me---has gave all of them <basement> about how who'se going to look after the animals when I leave, and if they don't pick up the slack she's just not ordering animals anymore. I sure hope she keeps her word, because I will be checking back and keep reporting to the humane society. And I am very anal about my "expectations" of clean, and they're very high. So I hope they can eventually just be not allowed to sell animals anymore. That would be great.

Thanks for your reply HH, I am glad you think the same! :hug:

This sounds, sooo sooo bad! :pullinghair: :mindblowing:
Poor you is what i'll say. :disappointed:
If that person with the other shop got back to you
Take the job.
(well I think you should do that)
I smiled when I saw that you reported them! :goodvibes:

Of course I will take it. At the drop of a hat. I texted my mom today (she's in Mexico) and I told her I quit, and she seemed okay with it. So, it gives me more confidence. She always heckled me because I kept trying to to quit but never had a job to back me up. But it's to the point where enough is just enough. Like I have to draw the line. If I have to go work in a grocery store until I can find another petstore or vet office to work in, I think I can handle it. Anything is a step up from that place. Ugh.

Thanks!

#5 SouthPaw

SouthPaw

I AM smarter than a 5th grader !

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Welp. To put it bluntly, you can't worry about the animals.

I'm assuming it's not your intention to work there the rest of your life, so it doesn't really matter if you leave today or leave 1 year, 5 years from now. Eventually you're going to leave. You only need to do what is best for you and if it is money and sanity that you need, it doesn't sound like this place delivers on either of those...

That is not a job I would hold on to. That is a job I would run from, and run fast. JMO.

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Welp. To put it bluntly, you can't worry about the animals.

I'm assuming it's not your intention to work there the rest of your life, so it doesn't really matter if you leave today or leave 1 year, 5 years from now. Eventually you're going to leave. You only need to do what is best for you and if it is money and sanity that you need, it doesn't sound like this place delivers on either of those...

That is not a job I would hold on to. That is a job I would run from, and run fast. JMO.

You're right, but it still bugs me. :\
LOL, and no it's not something I could ever commit to staying for very long, and you make a valid point...I would quit eventually, whether it be now, or two years from now.
And no it doesn't, I just cannot seem to win for lose around there.

LOL, and oh I plan to run fast and far. Except, it does beg the question where I will get rodent/fish/dog supplies. I wonder if Petcetera carries the brands I valued, or perhaps we just send dad in, no problem. :) Well, for dog food, anyway.

Thanks SP!