Photo

English. Ugh.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Okay. So my Emglish teacher "cheeses" me off. Like, she is the worst teacher I have ever had.
For my entire life, I was amazing at writing. Well, my teachers always said so. So, this year, my teacher CAN NOT TEACH.
She throws some subject at us (meaning the class) and expects us to know how to write a perfect essay using that subject..
Everything she says makes no sense. It feels...I don't know, hectic I guess?
She marks me down for the littlest of things.
For instance, we had to make a story board for four stanzas of "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe.
I spent SO LONG on it. I did the best job I could possibly do and she gives me a 95/100.
Now, this is still a good score but she still marked me down. BECAUSE I DIDN'T INCLUDE PART OF ONE OF THE STANZAS.
Like, seriously? I'm sorry, but I cannot describe and entire stanza with one tiny square. Each stanza tells a different part of a story.
I think of it like a chapter. I need a NEW square then. But NO we have to use the space we were given. 5 points off. UGH,
Also, I had to memorize these four stanzas in a month, Then we had to recite it. I decided to do it in front of the class.
She made me recite it with three other people WHO KEPT SAYING THE WRONG THINGS. I asked if I could do it alone and she was just like,
"Well, part of the "deal" was if you do it in front of the class, you must do it with other people."
She NEVER told us this. So, I got a 90/100. Not bad, but a stupid loss of points.
Recently I wrote a rewrite of an analytical essay (well actually two paragraphs) .
I spent HOURS on this rewrite and I get am 84/100.
I was like, WHAT, THE. FUUUUUU.
There were tiny mistakes that (in my opinion) should not have brought my grade down so low. Here it is:

​The short story “The Tell-Tale Heart,” by Edgar Allan Poe, cleverly guides the reader through a murderer’s mind and the crime he committed. The killer (who is clearly insane) argues that he is completely normal and not mad by explaining the procedure he uses to end an old man’s life.  The killer does not have much reason to dislike the old man besides the fact that his victim has a chilling blue eye, which makes him mad as a hatter. The protagonist’s reasoning for committing the murder unfortunately is not convincing, nor is it sane. This creates a mood of insanity. By using several tools such as irony and first person narration, Edgar Allan Poe demonstrates this mood wonderfully.
​E.A. Poe generates a mood of insanity by his use of irony. In this situation, Poe uses verbal irony, when a speaker's words seem to have different meaning than what listeners interpret as. The killer explains that he is sane, but he appears far different to readers. This clearly demonstrates what irony is. After explaining his procedure for killing the senior man, he states, “How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily-how calmly I can tell you the whole story” (78). Later after he describes the villainous eye, he says “I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever”(78). It is ironic that the protagonist says that he is not insane when an eye can drive him to the crazy state of mind to where he must destroy the life of the beholder of the eye. As direful as it is, most people will not go berserk over a disturbing object. Almost everyone can agree that such a reason for murder is insane, therefore giving the mood of this short story insanity.

In my opinion I deserve a 90. An A-. I have the most minor mistakes. e_e

This teacher also got mad at me for saying the statement, "You would be screwed" (if you forgot a certain paper) in class. She was like, "THAT IS INNAPROPRIATE. APPOLOGISE NAO."
All of my teachers have said that in front of the entire class at least once. PSH. My math teacher has said f*** and b**** (rhymes with witch) when I was in seventh grade.

I mean, I am not upset that she is strict or has high expectations. She just didn't TEACH us the information and therefor, I was not able to write as strong of an essay. If you mark me down for something I didn't know, it is unfair.

Am I overreacting? :<

#2 Momiji

Momiji

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

You are completely not overreacting. English is sort of an iffy subject that you really don't know what grade you're going to get it all depends on the teacher. It makes it even worse when you have a really sucky teacher. If she didn't teach you something then she shouldn't be grading you on it. Simple as that.

#3 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Something similar happened to my big sister, Bridget. To handle it she had our parents come in and talk with the teacher. Maybe you could ask your parents to email her or schedule a meeting. :)