Photo

why is my hamster chewing the bars of his cage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

my hamster keeps chewing on his bars at night he has plentyy of toy so i might put in a tank but i would still like to know why he,s doing it and how to stop him

#2 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Well, do you let your hamster out to play in an inclosed area, like a playpen?

Syrian Pumpkin posted a similar topic Here and I think her problem was solved

#3 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

yes

#4 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

How big is his cage? He may be chewing that much if the cage is too small for him. :thumbsdown: Also, does he have anything to chew? Milkbones are a good solution. & rubbing lemon juice on the bars can prevent him from chewing.

#5 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

yes he has chew toys and i will try the lemon

#6 Baileybails

Baileybails

Baby Hamster

• 42 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

My hamster Gracie does it all the time it's normal it's just get sharpening her teeth all hamster do that you should buy some snacks that she can chew on thats hard cause it will sharpen her teeth

#7 Fouffour

Fouffour

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

it's normal it's just get sharpening her teeth

Hi Baileyballs - it's true that a lot of hamster in wire cages chew the bars, but it's not considered normal behavior, it does not sharpen their teeth but rather leads to their deformation which can cause painful problems later on if left untreated. That, and it drives most owners insane ;)

Chewing on wire bars is usually a sign of boredom, and often lack of space - studies have shown that hamsters, especially Syrians and especially female hamsters, will only stop this kind of destructive behavior once their cage reaches a certain size. Unfortunately, a lot of pets hops still sell cages the size of a large shoe box... :(

teddybear24, chew toys are a really good short-term solution: milk bones, or clean sticks and branches from outside, i.e. hazelnut, or untreated apple and pear trees...
But if the cage size is the issue you won't have a happy hamster until he has more space, or the possibility to play in a large playpen sufficiently. I do think that getting a tank would be a good idea, but only if you can get a large one, at least forty gallons: New ones are expensive though! You can ask for used tanks in petshops and check the classifieds in your area, you can often get a huge tank that is leaking and therefor useless for fish, but perfect for hamsters, for little money. Then fill it high with bedding, at least 10 inches, and your hamster will have the possibility to dig real tunnels, as it'd do in the wild...

All the best to you and your hamster!

Edited by Fouffour, 08 January 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#8 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Excellent post, Fouffour :yes: I'd like to add that if you want a cheaper, lighter, and slightly less nice looking alternative to a tank, you can use a large plastic storage bin. Aim for something 360 square inches large or, preferably, more.

#9 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Perfect Fouffour,
exactly the way to go!
I would definitely find
a large tank that with be sufficient
enough for your hamsters needs.