Photo

How Much Fresh Foods?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

MODS NOTE: This thread has been updated over HERE. smiley.gif

Fresh foods are an absolute MUST in the diet of any hamster. They offer the greatest nutrients and vitamins directly from the source, because they are fresh! Ingredients put into food and treats lack in their 'natural' nutrients, and through processing, they lose a staggering 65-80% of it.
Below, thanks to the help of a few members with their helpful information and, CanineCavyLover for puting it all together, we have a helpful list of foods you can feed to your hamsters and an approximate amount to feed:
NOTE: Please keep in mind this is a mixed list for syrians and dwarves. Please be mindful of what list you're looking at before you offer anything to a dwarf hamster/chinese hamster!!!

SYRIAN FRESH FOOD/DIET LIST

(a special thanks to HOPPINGHAMMY, CHRISTMAS_HAMSTER, AND JORDYN!) this chart really puts together everything I know about hamster nutrition. It took me a couple of hours to put together. I’d also like to give credit to LunarFlame, mostly everything in this chart is from her topic ‘’Hamster Food List’’)

IMPORTANT: The serving sizes mentioned are for SYRIAN hamsters, NOT Dwarfs/Chinese hamsters.

I will Feed my Syrian 3 different types of veggies (un-watery and un-sugary) (the amount of 3 nickles) every other day. Each veggie is the size of a nickel. Fruits will be fed weekly, (2 pieces- dime size) watery veggies will be fed every 3 or so days (a dime size amount) I will also add in a sprinkle of flax seeds, wheat gem, and oats (a small pinch) to seed mix every other day. Meat/protein foods will be fed twice weekly (a dime size amount) Seed mix will be fed daily, (a table spoon) and treats will be given accordingly.

FULL DIET:

-2 table spoons of regular seed mix with 2 pellets (Mazuri pellets) (daily)

- Tiny pinch of flaxseeds, oats, and wheatgerm added to seed mix every other night

- Every other night give about 3-4 different types of veggies (a nickel size each veggie) and watery veggies/sugary veggies every 3 days the size of a dime. So, Every other night Syrian gets about 3 nickel sizes of veggies and if I include some watery veggies, it would be a little less. If I don’t have 3 different types of veggies, each veggie amount increases slightly to substitute for the lack of veggies. Fruit can be given every 3-4 days, or once a week (1 or 2 pieces the size of a dime each),added into the fresh foods that are given every other day, (or as you think fits into your hamsters lifestyle).

- Twice a week (Monday and Friday) I give one meat/protein food. (a dime size.)

KEY:

*** = regular veggies. ( The amount of 3 nickel sizes can be every other day, EACH veggie is the size of a nickel. *a mix of 3 can be fed every other day*)

*** = watery/sugary veggies and fruits. (1or 2 pieces the size of a dime every 3-4 days)
(Note about fruits: Fruits are better off given weekly, (a dime size amount or two) as a treat.)

*** = meat/protein foods. (feed a dime size amount twice weekly)

*** = other foods which can be fed.
(how often and how much vary, look at individual food to see how often and how much it should be fed)

*** = NEVER FEED

Veggies:
Asparagus
Basil
Bean Sprouts
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Clover

Cabbage (in small amounts. Some people say it causes an upset stomach and gas, feed rarely in VERY small amounts.)
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumbers (cuccumber, watermelon and celery are only to be offered as a source for water. If you hamster is dehydrated, or showing signs, OR if you're transporting your hamster these actually make great replacements for water)
Watermelon
Dandelion flowers and leaves
Endive
Green Beans
Green Pepper
Chard
Chestnuts
Chickweed
Chicory
Kale
Orange Pepper
Parsnips
Potatoes (cooked)
Radicchio
Red Pepper

Romaine Lettuce
Spinach
Swiss chard
Turnip
Water Chestnuts
Water Cress
Yellow Pepper
Zucchini

Other Foods:
Alfalfa - a small bale once a week
Almonds-(only sweet almonds, or almonds sold for human consumption. Bitter almonds contain cyanide in the peel). - 1 or 2 every 2 weeks. Several sources say the are poisonous, feed sparingly.
Baby Food (no onion, garlic, low sugar, and containing NO preservatives) -a small teaspoon once or twice a week
Buckwheat - a few kernals a week
Bran or Wheat Germ - a small pinch with your fingers every other night.
Brown rice (cooked, plain) - a small teaspoon once a week
Cereals (low/no sugar) - a few individual pieces a week
Cheese (mild, lower fat, small quantities) - one corner piece, if regular cheese or one dime sized amount if shredded every 2 weeks
Dry Toast (whole wheat, NO white) - small corner piece a week.
Flax seeds - small pinch every night or every other night.
Hay- a small handfull a week
Lentils - a few once a week.
Millet- Put a big spray in the cage and replace whenever its gone.
Nuts (except almonds) - a few whole nuts a week. (Depends on the nut you're giving) most nuts are already included in MOST seed mixes, you don't really have to worry about nuts, just whenever you buy them.
Oatmeal (plain, dry, or soak in skim/soy/low fat milk) - soaked in milk or water for a few minutes, and offer about a teaspoon a week-- or small pinch every other day.
Pasta (cooked, plain, wheat or spinach) - a few pieces whenever you make it
Peanuts (plain, unsalted) very fattening, feed sparingly - already comes in most seed mixes
Pumpkin seeds - 1-2 pieces once a week already comes in most seed mixes
Sesame seeds - a dime sized pinch once a week is good enough. (no real nutrition value)
Soybeans (roasted, salt-free) - 3-4 (or so) every 2 weeks
Squash Seeds - 1-3 a week.
Sunflower Seeds - 3-4 daily (already comes in most seed mixes)

Meat/Protein foods:
Cooked, unseasoned ground beef (lean preferred) (a little more than a dime size amount can be given, but only ONCE a week)
Baked/Steamed, unseasoned Turkey/Chicken (a little more than a dime size amount can be given but only ONCE a week)
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Grasshoppers (pet shop only!)
Mealworms (pet shop only!)
Crickets (pet shop only!)
Eggs (boiled/scrambled, plain!) (1/4 of white part once a week. Or very small amount of yolk; the yolk is high in cholesterol, and very high in protein, Shouldn't be given often.)
Plain Tofu
Plain Yogurt (no sugar added)
Dog Biscuits (make sure there is no garlic/onion in these!)

Additional Foods which should only be fed to Syrians:

Fruits:
Apple (seedless)
Banana
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cantaloupe
Cherry
Grape (seedless)
Honey Dew Melon
Lychee
Mango
Papaya
Peaches (remove pit)
Pear
Plums (remove pit)
Raspberries
Star Fruit
Strawberries

Veggies:
Carrots
Corn
Peas
Squash
Sweet Potatoes

FOODS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE FED:
Chocolate (toxic)
Onion (possibly toxic in some animals)
Garlic (possibly toxic in some animals)
Peanut Butter (can get stuck in pouches)
Sandwich meats (contain too much salt, high nitrates)
Apple Seeds
Citrus fruits (too high in acidity, can put them at risk for ulcers)
Canned foods and other processed foods
Candy/ Junk Foods
Pork
Potatoes (raw)
Kidney Beans
Eggplant
Fool’s Parsley
Grape Seeds
Avocado
Raw Rhubarb
Tomato leaves
Citrus fruits (including orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, grapefruit, etc)
Fruit pits/ most fruit seeds
Jams/jellies
Salt
Spices/Seasonings
Leeks
Scallions
Chives
Pickles
Bitter Almonds (contain cyanide in the peel)
***ICEBURG LETTUCE: Far too high in water content.
[/color]

DWARF/CHINESE FRESH FOOD/DIET LIST

(a special thanks to HOPPINGHAMMY, CHRISTMAS_HAMSTER, AND JORDYN!) this chart really puts together everything I know about hamster nutrition. It took me a couple of hours to put together. I’d also like to give credit to LunarFlame, mostly everything in this chart is from her topic ‘’Hamster Food List’’)

IMPORTANT: The foods and serving sizes mentioned are for DWARF/CHINESE hamsters, NOT for Syrian hamsters. (The list for Syrians is above)

FULL DIET:

- 2 table spoons of regular seed mix with 1 Mazuri pellet (preferably broken in half for easier pouching/handling) DAILY.

- Tiny pinch of flax seeds, oats, and wheatgerm added to seed mix every other night (optional, but beneficial)

- Every other night give about 3-4 different types of veggies (a nickel size each veggie). For variety, follow the chart below on what is and isn't acceptable.

- Twice a week (Monday and Friday) I give one meat/protein food. (a dime size.)

KEY:

*** = regular veggies

*** = watery veggies

*** = meat/protein foods.

*** = other foods which can be fed.
(how often and how much vary, look at individual food to see how often and how much it should be fed)

*** = NEVER FEED

Foods Safe for Both Syrians and Dwarfs:
Veggies:
Asparagus
Basil
Bean Sprouts
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Clover

Cabbage (in small amounts. Some people say it causes an upset stomach and gas, feed rarely in VERY small amounts.)
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumbers (cucumber, watermelon and celery are only to be offered as a source for water. If you hamster is dehydrated, or showing signs, OR if you're transporting your hamster these actually make great replacements for water)
Watermelon

Dandelion flowers and leaves
Endive
Green Beans
Green Pepper
Chard
Chestnuts
Chickweed
Chicory
Kale
Orange Pepper
Parsnips
Potatoes (cooked)
Radicchio
Red Pepper

Romaine Lettuce
Spinach
Swiss chard
Turnip
Water Chestnuts
Water Cress
Yellow Pepper
Zucchini

Other Foods:
Alfalfa
Almonds
Baby Food
Buckwheat
Bran or Wheat Germ
Brown rice (cooked, plain)
Dry Toast (whole wheat, NO white)
Flax seeds
Hay
Lentils
Millet
Nuts (except almonds)
Oatmeal (plain, dry, or soak in skim/soy/low fat milk)
Pasta (cooked, plain, wheat or spinach)
Peanuts (plain, unsalted) - RARE TREAT.
Pumpkin seeds
Sesame seeds
Soybeans (roasted, salt-free)
Squash Seeds
Sunflower Seeds

Meat/Protein foods:
Cooked, unseasoned ground beef (lean preferred)
Baked/Steamed, unseasoned Turkey/Chicken
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Grasshoppers (pet shop only!)
Mealworms (pet shop only!)
Crickets (pet shop only!)
Eggs (boiled/scrambled, plain!) (1/4 of white part once a week. Or very small amount of yolk; the yolk is high in cholesterol, and very high in protein, Shouldn't be given often.)
Plain Tofu
Plain Yogurt (no sugar added)
Dog Biscuits (make sure there is no garlic/onion in these!)

****Fruits (remember, fruits are high in sugars and should be fed to your dwarf or Chinese hamster on a very rare basis...perhaps once a month) REFER TO THE CHART IN SYRIAN FOR WHAT IS SAFE...Stick to a thumbnail sized piece no more than a monthly basis

FOODS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE FED:
Chocolate (toxic)
Carrots
*****Fruits (too high in sugar...unless offered on a rare basis--see chart above in SYRIAN for reference to which are okay)
Corn
Peas
Squash
Sweet Potatoes
Onion (possibly toxic in some animals)
Garlic (possibly toxic in some animals)
Peanut Butter (can get stuck in pouches)
Sandwich meats (contain too much salt, high nitrates)
Apple Seeds
Citrus fruits (too high in acidity, can put them at risk for ulcers)
Canned foods and other processed foods
Candy/ Junk Foods
Pork
Potatoes (raw)
Kidney Beans
Eggplant
Fool’s Parsley
Grape Seeds
Avocado
Raw Rhubarb
Tomato leaves
Citrus fruits (including orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, grapefruit, etc)
Fruit pits/ most fruit seeds
Jams/jellies
Salt
Spices/Seasonings
Leeks
Scallions
Chives
Pickles
Bitter Almonds (contain cyanide in the peel)
***ICEBURG LETTUCE: Far too high in water content.

A lot of what is on this list can be offered daily. Dry ingredients such as nuts and seeds should be added to your standard daily mix, and then adding vegetables, protein and fruit (syrians/robos ONLY) every few days.
Remember that too much of any one thing is also harmful! Offering too much fruits and vegetables can cause diarrea. The diarrea is caused by excess moisture, this is not to be confused with wet tail.
Make sure you wash all fruits and vegetables and nuts thouroughly before offering!

Edited by HoppingHammy, 19 June 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#2 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

WOW! Thanks! I will definitely save this and put it up on my wall!

#3 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Great list bravo! :yes:
I have a few questions though...
- why not pork?
- I have also heard watermelon (as well as cucumber) can be given during transport for example as a source of water.
Why is it on the bad list here?
- Why are some names in black? Did you just forget to put them in green or is there a reason?

(sorry for being a pain :laughing:)

I think it would also be useful to mention Iceberg lettuce in the no-no category.
If we think of other foods is it ok to say so so they can be added on the list? The longer the better right?

Edited by MilkyFactory, 29 December 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#4 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Thanks guys.

No Milky that's exactly what this thread is for! :) We just wanted more up to date lists and threads for new comers, as a lot of our older threads contain outdated information.
Pork, I am actually not sure. This is opinions from a few different members, so I'll leave that until I know for sure what is what.
As for the black words, yeah I don't know! They have colored tags but for some reason they're not showing up in color! I will try to fix it lol.
I'll add a note beside watermelon, cuccumber and celery about that.

But yeah no, add and debate as you like. That's the purpose!

#5 bleu_emeraude

bleu_emeraude

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

I do have a question. I'm not sure if anyone familiar with this food, but I'll ask anyway.

Can hamsters eat tempeh? Tempeh is basically a fermented soybean; some call it soybean cake. It is made from soybean, yeast, a little bit of vinegar (which is tasteless after the fermentation done), and a little bit of flour (as the starter medium for the yeast to grow). Wikipedia has a good summary of it: Tempe
Nowadays tempeh has been used as main ingredients in vegetarian food.

I figured that hamsters can eat soybean, tofu (a processed soybean), fermented food (yogurt), bread (that contains yeast). So, do you think it's safe to give tempeh as part of their fresh food meal?
I made some fresh tempeh, and I would like to confirm if I can give it to Snuggle.

Thanks a bunch! :)

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:13 AM

Jeez, that sounds delicious! :laughing:
I would think it would be fine, but is it possible to make with whole-wheat flower? I know that plain, or even all purpose flour, contains bleached ingredients, and is often converted directly into sugars/carbs in the body. Whole wheat is a little better, that's why it's good to stick with whole wheat everything: breads, pastas, etc.

Otherwise, I don't think a small amount occasionally would be a bad thing!

#7 bleu_emeraude

bleu_emeraude

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:34 AM

Yes, whole wheat flour would work too. And I don't think it would give much different as the flour is just very little amount compared to the whole soybeans. The solid thing that is formed between the soybean is actually the result of the fermentation itself.

Thanks for the quick reply, Jordyn :). I'll keep it small amount occasionally!

#8 mercgirl

mercgirl

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

I'm wondering about pineapple. I didn't see it but I assume it's too citrus-y?

#9 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

...Pork, I am actually not sure....

Pork is very high in fat and calories, that's likely why it's not reccomended :toast:

Great list also! I will definitely use it!

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

I'm wondering about pineapple. I didn't see it but I assume it's too citrus-y?

Pineapple is very high in acidity. :) Much like citrus fruits!

Pork is very high in fat and calories, that's likely why it's not reccomended :toast:

Great list also! I will definitely use it!

Thanks Zoe's Zoo for clearing that up!

#11 mercgirl

mercgirl

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

:thumbsup:
Thanks, Jordyn!
:veryhappy:

#12 stuffedwheel

stuffedwheel

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the list. Just used it to pick up a bunch of fresh foods for Buttercup. She approves. :thumbsup:

Love the feeding schedule, too. I wrote it down and am working on creating my own.

#13 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

The list and schedule was put together by CanineCavyLover, I really can take no credit for it lol.
He did a really good job of puting it together for sure! Very accurate and helpful.

#14 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

Well that actually depends on the cut, as for all meats there are fatty and non fatty parts to pork...
It really doesn't clear things up for me. :scratchchin:

#15 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

Good list! :D