• Members
  • 3,320 posts

• My Syrian(s):1
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

What is a bin cage?

A bin cage is essentially a large plastic tub that people keep their hamsters in.
They are a lot bigger, easier to maintain, and supply adequate room for everything you'd need.
Most people prefer using this alternative over buying cages; as cages can be pricey, small and aren't always the best quality.

You can cover the floor with bedding, and add all of the necessary toys and furnishing your hamsters will need.
Bin cages are pretty much the same as tanks, only cheaper, and they can be attached together to provide more space.

How much are Bin's and where can I buy them?

You can get a decent sized bin for about $12-20. Some common places you can get them at are Walmart or target or Ikea.If you've got an IKEA nearby than their biggest SAMLA bin is plenty big.
If not than I recommend taking a tape measure with you and measuring the width and length of the bins at the store (from the bottom of the bin, not the top) since the labels aren't always accurate and figuring out the area. You want at the very least, 360 square inches of floorspace but bigger is much better.

Sized that should be aimed for

Remember here at HH we recommend people have at least 360 square inches of space of floorspace.
A 105+ quart storage bin: The quality of the bin is very important. Look for sturdy plastic, no corners that are rounded inward, and a locking lid. Bins come in a variety of sizes, but remember the bigger the better!
You can measure in the store, from the bottom of the bin.

Questions

Could I just drill holes in the lid instead of using the mesh?
Yes, you should use a 1/4 drill bit, and you should drill LOTS. But if you drill enough, it should be fine.

How would I attach the water bottle? Could I just use velcro?
You could do several things. First, you could modify the cage so that there is mesh on the sides, and then attach the bottle the 'normal' way, with the nozzle fitting through the mesh, and the bottle hanging on the outside.
You could also do something similar by drilling holes in three places- where the nozzle goes through, and two points for where the water bottle holder will fit. This does run a (usually minimal) risk of the hamster being able to chew the holes wider, though.
Or you could use a water bottle holder made specifically for tanks. The bottle fits into a cradle-like contraption, that then hooks (from the back) over the top of the side rim. This means the the water bottle is actually inside the cage, though, so you would need a sturdy one that can resist chewing.

Where to buy mesh?
You can buy mesh at your local hardware store, such as places like Home depot, Home Hardware or Lowes.

Here are some helpful links on how to make a bin cage
http://ilovemice.hub...age-For-Rodents

http://www.petwebsit...r Bin Type Cage
http://users.accessc...lsite/bins.html
Here's a Video

[b]Here are some Bins cages as Examples

DingDong516's bin
Posted Image

Azayles's Bin
Posted Image

Lacrima's Bins
Posted Image

HoppingHammy's Bin
Posted Image

SyrianPumpkin's Bin
Posted Image

Original Pinned Thread

Edited by SyrianPumpkin, 29 March 2013 - 04:34 AM.

• PinkPumpkinGirl, CaliforniaCole, Simi and 34 others like this

#2 Selina_chan

Selina_chan

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 551 posts

• My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

:) thanks so much this is really helpful ^^
  • chloeandemma likes this

#3 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

• My Syrian(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Great post! I'm making Snoopy a bin cage after Christmas :)
  • SunshineSparkle likes this

#4 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

you could of used a picture of my bin!!!! cos i have pics up
anyway cool bins, love em! :slaphappy:
  • Harryhamster likes this

#5 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

• My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

Great post and great bins!

#6 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

Fantastic post, very informative and clear, great thread to link new hamster owners to!
We didn't really have an informative topic on bin cages yet so this is great. well done.

Edited by MilkyFactory, 22 December 2011 - 03:16 AM.

• SunshineSparkle likes this

#7 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

Thanks a bunch! I'm in the middle of Smokey's bin :D

#8 kona

kona

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):3

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Has anyone made a bin-cage without wire mesh? If so, how many holes have you drilled to give ventilation? Do you have to take the lid off for a while every day also to help compensate?

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

When I used bin cages I just drilled a bunch of holes in. While there was a decent amount of ventilation it wasn't really enough. Leaving the lid off can work instead so long as you don't have any young children (those that might decide to play with the hamster on their own and aren't ready for this), ferrets, rats, cats or dogs. And as long as the bin is tall enough as well so that the hamster cannot climb out an escape. If I were to make a bin again I would use mesh or scrap pieces from a wire cage.

#10 kona

kona

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

I was thinking of drilling every 2 inches or so on the roof and the top 3 inches of the cage all the way around. we're uni students who're looking after our 3 babu's together, so taking the lid off for a few hours here and there shouldn't be a problem. They hardly live in the cages anyway when we're around!

#11 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I was thinking of drilling every 2 inches or so on the roof and the top 3 inches of the cage all the way around. we're uni students who're looking after our 3 babu's together, so taking the lid off for a few hours here and there shouldn't be a problem. They hardly live in the cages anyway when we're around!

I've never been a fan of ventilation holes for some reason...Is there a reason why you can't make a lid with mesh? If you think about it, the time you spend drilling so many holes is almost the same as the time you would spend making a mesh lid :)

#12 kona

kona

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm really not good with DIY and drilling holes is about the extent of my abilities. Making a wire mesh lid would probably end up with more injuries than are worth making it for. Either that, or I'll end up making a mess of the box so much it'll be unusable and escapable.

Edited by kona, 29 December 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#13 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm really not good with DIY and drilling holes is about the extent of my abilities. Making a wire mesh lid would probably end up with more injuries than are worth making it for. Either that, or I'll end up making a mess of the box so much it'll be unusable and escapable.

Oh... Do you have a box cutter? You can use those and just score again and again untill it cuts through.
  • ddereli, OIive and fxs like this

#14 kona

kona

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm re-thinking my Ventilation now due to having to stack 2 bins together. Can anyone advise on how to make doors in the side if I put wire mesh on so We can get in that way?

I'd rather not have to butcher our current wire cages, but if i have to, i suppose i will.
  • PuddinCup likes this

#15 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

• My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

Well Done, SyrianPumpkin! That is a very useful topic!