Photo

Rate/recommend movies/t.v programs.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

BRINGING THIS BOARD BACK...LIKE A BOSS.
So I've had little to do with my boring life the last few weeks, because I've become (out of no where) incredibly nerdy and stuff with these two classes in school...LOL and only working less than full time? Well. I just have too much time on my hands.
Along with reading, I have taken to watching ALL the Jeremy Irons movies, and getting into new t.v. programs. Well, old. It seems Criminal Minds has a marathon on every other second, and I. Well, I am always doing nothing for 24 hours at a time and I partake in these. LOLOLOLWHUT.

Anyways.

So. Rate and recommend/be a critic to the movies and t.v. shows you've seen so others can get a taste of what they're getting into. More so t.v. programs, because. They're longer running. Unless we get all Harry Potter on everyone, but I mean. Who doesn't love Harry Potter.
Typical rules, don't add spoilers with out spoiler tags, blah blah.

Movies:

Sherlock Holmes (2009).
Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, Rachel McAdams.
Posted Image
DO NOT TALK TO ME ABOUT GAME OF SHADOWS...I GOT CALLED INTO WORK FRIDAY AND DIDN'T GET TO GO TO THE PREMIER. DON'T EVEN. NOT A WORK. GET OUT. GO HOME.
Ahem.
This is probably one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. THe acting was fanominal, the plot was amazing, and it was completely charming. I've seen it several thousand times. I recommend it to anyone who likes a good mystery-suspense with a little bit of action. And bromance. What.
10/10. :star:

Appaloosa (2008)
Jerremy Irons, Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Rene Zelwegger.
Posted Image
Based from a novel by which I have never read. LOL. Uhm. Anyways. I have never been a western-fan, ever. My grandmother used to watch it all the time and I used to hate it. SO dumb. But I was flipping through channels one fine day and this preview came up and I was like. YEPP. WE'RE WATCHING IT. IT HAS JEREMY IRONS. Only to find him again the bad guy, and once again getting shot and killed. LOL. But no really, I quite enjoyed it. I thought it was funny, highly entertaining, and completely as far away from a stupid western as you could get. Loved it.

Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
Jeremy Irons, Lenardo DeCaprio, John Malkovich, GĂ©rard Depardieu.
Posted Image
I have seen almost all adaptations of the Three/Four Musketeers. This one was rather interesting, and quite unexpected. I hate Lenardo Dicaprio with a passion... first of all, he RUINED Romeo and Juliet, and I just. Do not like him. I think he is a terrible actor, so this movie could have done a lot better with out him. I didn't particularily like (see spoiler). I really liked (see spoiler #2). Overall, great movie. The plot is kind of dumb at first, but as the film moves on it gets better. All for one, and one for all.
Spoiler

Spoiler

9.5/10. :star:

Die Hard with a Vengaence (1995)
Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons, Samual L Jackson
Posted Image
OH GOD. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this movie, it could possibly be one of the most perfect I have ever seen. It's got suspenseful action, completely uncut and uncensored swearing which makes it just. Great. Hahah, I found it so entertaining and just hilarious. I would quote you some really good lines, but I couldn't give you one with out the use of the F word, LOL. You just have to see it. Seriously. I find Bruce Willis very entertaining; John McClane's sarcasm is that to envy, for sure. Whoever wrote the screening for this movie was a geneous. It was this movie that aided my understanding that Jeremy Irons may possibly be the most amazing bad guy, ever.
34320743204734/10. :star:

Romeo and Juliet (1963)
Michael York, John McEnery, Leonard Whiting.
Posted Image
Ahhh, absolute classic. I might be one of the only ones who appreciates Shakespear OUTside of school, but I don't even care. I own this DVD, and you can all just be jelous your mom didn't buy it for you on your 16th birthday, LOL.
Anyways, so. Again, I have this you know, love for old men. Apparently. And Michael York, wow. I loved him in this movie, quite simply put. Tybalt was always one of my favorite characters in the play, one again, despite him being almost villianous all in himself. The fight scene was my favorite. Mercutio and Tybalt die, then I die a little inside. If you love Shakespeare or romance, you'll love this movie. The Lenardo Dicaprio one, SUCKED. It does the play no justice, and completely ruined it with ghetto NONSENSE. NO. MEN WEAR TIGHTS.

The Four Musketeers (1974)
Oliver Reed, Michael York, Richard Chamberlain, Frank Finlay, Raquel Welch
Posted Image
This adaptation is one of my favorites. I actually haven't seen it in awhile, and the thought of it puts me into a state of nostalgia. The acting was great, it was great. Ah, unfortunately I don't have much more to go on, I haven't seen this in yeaaarss. Probably going to have to go to the ol' library and see if they still have the copy. THis may be one of the only world's greatest movies I don't actually own. DAYUM.
Anyways, if you're a fan of the musketeers, just watch it. It's really awesome.
8.5/10. :star:

Eragon (2006)
Jeremy Irons, Ed Speleers, John Malkovich, Gerette Hedlund.
Posted Image
Yepp. This has to be the world's greatest movie. I don't care what anyone says. Ever. Anywhere. Go home. Before I go into a 50 hour speal about how much I love everything there is to love ever about this movie, I'll say this.
Just watch it, damnit.
100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/10 :star:

Television:

Criminal Minds (2005 - present)
Thomas Gibson, Matthew Gray Gubler, Shemar Moore, Joe Mantegna.
Posted Image
Greatest crime drama series, EVER. Every single one of the characters, I love to pieces. They're all so wonderful. One doesn't dominate the rest, and they don't wear their sunglasses at night, and. Other things. The cast has changed a bit; before with Gideon and then Elle and I think the newer episodes have some new chick? Haven't really seen any new episodes, I always seem to miss them and then they never come on again. I really like Rossie and Hotch, I think they're definitely my favorites. But like I said, I just like it so much because all the characters have equal proportions on the show and it's not just one or two, there's like 6... So.
Plus the episodes and the crimes are so in depth and believable. Seriously. It's just an awesome show.
I will say, it has some competition with Law and Order SVU, just because I think that Christopher Meloni is so great. And that Jeremy Irons costarred in two episodes. However, it will never beat Criminal Minds.

Share yours!

Edited by Jordyn, 19 December 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#2 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Yes!! Yes yes yes!

Sherlock Holmes was a masterpiece. A MASTERPIECE!
The acting was brilliant, and the character development was well executed. The clever use of "mind narration", slowed camera shots and "blow by blow" scene development really worked to draw you in, not only into the story line, but into Holmes' very mind and method of thinking. The technical aspects, the way Holmes pulled apart and analysed each scene, were done beautifully and flawlessly. You WAS Holmes you BECAME him and you learnt to think like he did and enjoy the movie and the storyline through his eyes.
:shootingstar: :shootingstar: :shootingstar: :shootingstar: :shootingstar:

Eragon was a great film, I thoroughly enjoyed the fantasy aspect and the storyline.
I'm currently reading the book at the moment and it's amazing, so in depth! I don't want to harp on with the classic "the book is better than the film" because a movie review should be about the film in its own right, and as this film stands, it's very good!
I love the relationship which develops between Eragon and Saphira over time, the way their bond becomes stronger. I think as a pet owner, that's something I can relate to quite strongly. The way the relationship between Eragon and Brom is portrayed is good, too. There is this air of mystery which continually hangs over their relationship and it makes you think about a lot of things. Keeps you on your toes.
Visually stunning imagery and great camera work. Excellent plot and executed well.

Edited by Azayles, 19 December 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yes!! Yes yes yes!

Sherlock Holmes was a masterpiece. A MASTERPIECE!
The acting was brilliant, and the character development was well executed. The clever use of "mind narration", slowed camera shots and "blow by blow" scene development really worked to draw you in, not only into the story line, but into Holmes' very mind and method of thinking. The technical aspects, the way Holmes pulled apart and analysed each scene, were done beautifully and flawlessly. You WAS Holmes you BECAME him and you learnt to think like he did and enjoy the movie and the storyline through his eyes.

Eragon was a great film, I thoroughly enjoyed the fantasy aspect and the storyline.
I'm currently reading the book at the moment and it's amazing, so in depth! I don't want to harp on with the classic "the book is better than the film" because a movie review should be about the film in its own right, and as this film stands, it's very good!
I love the relationship which develops between Eragon and Saphira over time, the way their bond becomes stronger. I think as a pet owner, that's something I can relate to quite strongly. The way the relationship between Eragon and Brom is portrayed is good, too. There is this air of mystery which continually hangs over their relationship and it makes you think about a lot of things. Keeps you on your toes.
Visually stunning imagery and great camera work. Excellent plot and executed well.

And THIS, is exactly why I married you in the first place.
I JUST....CAN'T. :')

#4 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

I LOVED Sherlock Holmes (haven't seen the 2nd... yet.) just amazing. The slow mo, that ACTING! It was all phenomenal.

and who doesn't love Diehard? (4 was my fave.) It was great, and the racial aspect of it was great.

ERAGON. OH YES. I know that it didn't follow the book at all, but the movie by itself was AWESOME. I LOVED the special effects.

;D

Edited by GangstaGirl, 19 December 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#5 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:19 AM

ERAGON! *faints* Such a great "dragon" tail, with a large helping of awesome sauce and a million gold stars! :starry-eyed:

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

Why is it I am suddenly meeting all these eragon fans?!?! Everytime I mention the movie, I get shot.
LOL.
Holy....

Uhm.
Okay so I have a new review:
Margin Call - 2011
OH MY GOD.
Well, the first like half of it. I bought it on my tivoPayPerView thing and, I go to watch it and FIRST of all it apparently didn't record the first like, half an hour... then I'm watching it and it's getting all intense and the power goes out and completely. DOES NOT LET ME WATCH THE REST. I WANTED TO KILL SOMEONE, SERIOUSLY.
So.
For the first bit I saw, I really liked it, actually. It's about like the American stock market and how a single company was going to sell off assests in order to alter the nasty situations to do with mortage securities, and such. It's actually quite interesting. It's an independant film, but it was based on true events.
Then I went to Wal Mart today and saw it on sale for 30$ blueray. I has no money. :crybuckets: I was quite upset. SOON. It just came out on DVD Tuesday.
I guess when I aactually get to finish watching it I'll have a better synopsis... uhm.

Edited by Jordyn, 24 December 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#7 duckjustice

duckjustice

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

Know what everyone should watch, and no one does:

Posted Image

First off Andrew Lee Potts is bloody beautiful and as Connor he's completely adorable. Also it's about dinosaurs and time travel and is generally epic. It's one of like 3 TV programmes that has ever made me cry because I got way attached to the characters. I wish more people had seen it.

And on a Andrew Lee Potts related note:

Posted Image

Me and 2 of my friends kind of love anything Alice in Wonderland related and we all loved this, I've heard a lot of people say it's rubbish but pffft, it's great. Ok the CGI is a bit bad sometimes, but it's still awesome. And if you like Alice in Wonderland it's cool to watch and see where from the books they got stuff... and yeah.

I suck at writing about things..

#8 Cheeky

Cheeky

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

How about BBC Sherlock?

Posted Image

There are only six episodes at the moment, but they all run for 90 minutes, so each is like a film. It's set in modern-day London, and oh my god, the writing is phenomenal. The editing is phenomenal. The acting is phenomenal. It's just SO GOOD. I can't even properly articulate how it good it is, because it's that good. So if you want to read some real reviews, see here.

It's really fast-paced, but if you can keep up, at the end of it, your brain is just like, "WHOA. WHAT DID I JUST WATCH. THAT WAS SO BRILLIANT I CAN'T EVEN." And I've been a die-hard fan of a lot of programmes, but they all dull in comparison to this.

BBC Sherlock kind of introduced me to Sherlock Holmes, and I'm currently reading the books, and I've since seen a lot of Granada Holmes as well, and I really like it all. All of the episodes of BBC Sherlock are just modern adaptations of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work. IF YOU LIKE SHERLOCK HOLMES (*ahem* JORDYN), you should definitely try it out.

Edited by Cheeky, 08 February 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#9 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

I've seen these advertised, and the series DOES look good :D But I'm so behind on them I've not watched any :( Are they still on iPlayer? If not I'll get the series box set from Sainsbury's if/when it's available :P

By the way greetings from down south! Always nice to mention things like iPlayer and Sainsbury's, and you know what the <basement> I'm on about :P

#10 duckjustice

duckjustice

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

Just to have a little bump..
I just saw The Avengers and it was amazing and everyone should see and I wish I was Iron Man.

That is all.

#11 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Me and 2 of my friends kind of love anything Alice in Wonderland related and we all loved this, I've heard a lot of people say it's rubbish but pffft, it's great. Ok the CGI is a bit bad sometimes, but it's still awesome. And if you like Alice in Wonderland it's cool to watch and see where from the books they got stuff... and yeah.

That movie looks awesome!