Photo

Help Me Decide? Syrian or Dwarf?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#16 masterofboots

masterofboots

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Either you have a high tolerance for pain or you've never really been bitten by a dwarf. :cheeky:

Oops! Really? My girls are all so docile! They squeak a lot at one another but don't actually fight either.

#17 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

If they want to, they can hurt. A lot. Most of the time the farthest they go is a test nibble to help make sense of their surroundings. But if you get a grumpy, untamed, cage aggressive dwarf. Beware. :cheeky:

#18 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

a youngsyrain hamster 2m-3m

#19 BabySinclair

BabySinclair

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

I would choose Syrian eventho now I have both Dwarf and Syrian.. Syrian u can hold and cuddle them longer.. My dwarf not even 1 second they would wanna wriggle out of my hand! And syrian easy to tame. :)

#20 Hamsterrs101

Hamsterrs101

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Def get a syrian preferably male but its your decision. Good luck! ;)

#21 Starlight

Starlight

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

Robo dwarves are very small and have a long lifespan but are not the friendliest.Syrians are big and friendly but have a short lifetime and are prone to diabetes. But winter whites are medium sized(3-4 inches), are friendly, and have a long lifespan. So I would recommend a Winter White hamster.

#22 Robolover13

Robolover13

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

Robo dwarves are very small and have a long lifespan but are not the friendliest.Syrians are big and friendly but have a short lifetime and are prone to diabetes. But winter whites are medium sized(3-4 inches), are friendly, and have a long lifespan. So I would recommend a Winter White hamster.

Wrong! Sorry but Syrians usually don't get diabeties as much as dwarf hamsters. RC hamsters are most suseptable to diabeties. I like dwarfs personally but I am thinking about trying out a Syrian hamster.

#23 bibble hamster

bibble hamster

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

Syrians are great.I find them easyer because they are better to handle.they are a great beginners hamster.Posted Image

#24 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Wrong! Sorry but Syrians usually don't get diabeties as much as dwarf hamsters. RC hamsters are most suseptable to diabeties. I like dwarfs personally but I am thinking about trying out a Syrian hamster.

Syrians are great.I find them easyer because they are better to handle.they are a great beginners hamster.Posted Image

JUst wanted to tell you guys that is topic is from Dec 09 2011, please try not to bring up old topics :)

#25 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

I find this topic very controversial. I have had 2 Syrians and 2 Dwarfs. Both Syrians have been great. Dave was the Syrian who came from a family with little kids. He never even tried to bite me. Shelly has gotten a few nips in, but nothing serious. I had the friendliest dwarf ever. He was a Winter white named Bloo. He wanted to be held and petted and loved on all the time. His brother who was bought the same day in the same cage, was the complete opposite. The only similarities were that I was never bitten by either hamster, and they were the same species. Check and hold your new friend before you buy them. I made the mistake of not doing that, and now I have a social hamster and an unsocial hamster. It frustrates me because Bloo got sick and we couldn't keep him, so we kept Tweek. Tweek is antisocial and does NOT want anything more than food and bedding. Please check them before committing. Antisocial hamsters (GO FIGURE HE IS SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!) are NOT fun. (make sure they don't bite either! I got lucky on that one!)