Photo

Cross Breeding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 09:38 AM

Isn't cross breeding of diff hamster breeds unethical?

I'm referring to cross breeding of say, a syrian female with a dwarf male ...

I have seen before a cross breed of england hamster and dwarf campbell and it looks ... weird.

It sure isn't good for the babies genes rite?!!

#2 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 09:48 AM

I have seen a hybrid of an England and a dwarf hamster at a pet shop. Dunno how they do it but it looks unnatural. Wish they hadn't done it coz it doesn't seem right. :(

#3 rebel226

rebel226

Rookie Hamster

• 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 10:10 PM

The breeding of a Syrian hamster and a dwarf hamster is an "impossibility.  These 2 species of hamsters don't "interbreed".  The only species of hamsters that can "technically" breed is a "Winter-White" dwarf and a "Campbells" dwarf but they are "subspecies" of each other and it ain't a good idea to breed them because breeding them will create  "hybrid" pups and "hybrid" pups will be subject to different health problems.

#4 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 12:01 AM

I see ... some workings of the dna? Then I am not sure why the pet shop claims it's syrian +dwarf.  Maybe they aren't sure themselves. But one thing's for sure, it sure looks reallyweird.

#5 Ling

Ling

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:29 AM

Do u have a picture of the crossbreed hamster? Keen to see how it looks like.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:28 AM

That would be an interesting picture as breeding a Syrian to a dwarf is impossible...

#7 DarkLink

DarkLink

Baby Hamster

• 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:04 AM

Yeah just like everyone else said it is 'Impossible'. Besides it would be very cruel to breed two different species of hamsters...

#8 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:49 AM

No picture. Not nice to take picture of a shop.

#9 gerbilLady6875

gerbilLady6875

Baby Hamster

• 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 10:21 AM

Even it if was possible, if the poor dwarf female gave birth to babies that were bigger do to the father being Syrian she would most likely die having the babies.

#10 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:34 PM

that's very true what Jess says about the dwarf dying in labor cause the babies would be oversized. in fact i read that this would be the same problem even between winter whites and campbells... if the female is a winter white and the male is a campbell, and they mate, there is a strong possibility the winter white female would die in labor cause the heads of the babies would be bigger due to the crossbreeding... doesn't sound worth it to me!

#11 Ling

Ling

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:25 AM

it's alright. don't worry. no one is saying that he/she is going to crossbreed their hamsters. :) even if so, i'm sure those crossbreed babies that result are of accidental situation. moreover, didn't most of u say that there's very little possibility in crossbreed situations? it's just that some unusual things just happen as it is.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:55 AM

"didn't most of u say that there's very little possibility in crossbreed situations?"

Ok, if I say this once more, maybe it might make sense. Breeding a Syrian to a dwarf hamster is not possible. It's like I cannot get impregnated by an armadillo.

#13 skippy

skippy

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

Adding onto what Jess has said about size differences, this would be a physical barrier in mating.  A male syrians penis would simply be too large to fit inside a dwarf female and a male dwarf would have problems getting on top of a syrian female and would probably not be able to mate with her.

This of course implies that the syrian doesn't just attack and kill the dwarf.

There are lots of post-mating adaptations which would also prevent successful offspring production.  

#14 CINDERELLA

CINDERELLA

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:49 AM

i never know what cross breeding was.

#15 Rockie

Rockie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

CINDERELLA>Please be more constructive in your comments & answers & DON't bring back old posts that are 2 years back