Photo

Ice Skating!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hi! As many of you know I ice skate and throughout my time on HH I have found many people do too! I'd love to know how you got into the sport, what you like about it, when you started, ect. I even made a little survey thing that you can answer!

Why did you start ice skating? I watched the movie "Ice Princess" and I thought the girl was pretty so I signed up for lessons. :P
How long have you been skating? 5 years [since I was 6]
What level [if a level at all] are you at now? I am not in levels any more :) I take solo lessons
How often do you ice skate? Twice a week.
Do you do competitions? Yes, I have done several
Do you do shows? Yes, holiday and spring shows
What is your least favorite thing abut skating? I would say falling but that's never bothered me too much, to be honest falling is kind of fun. So the thing I hate is when I practice something over and over and then when I go to show my coach, I can't do it.
What is your favorite thing? Definitely shows, low pressure and I like to skate to worded music
What is the first thing you learned? To fall down and get back up... :rotfl: [do the cat pose, then the prince charming pose, then the hopping bunny pose :P ]
What is the latest thing you learned? Double and combination jumps.
What is your favorite jump? Waltz, that was my first jump and I love the speed I use to go into it.
What is your least favorite jump? Flip D:
What is your favorite spin? Sit
Least favorite spin? Scratch )':
Anything else: NOPE :D

#2 LeeLee

LeeLee

Baby Hamster

• 42 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

Yay for figure skaters!

Why did you start ice skating? I started because I wanted to have a way to exercise that was similar to ballet, but less rigid.
How long have you been skating? I skated for around 7 years I think. I sadly had to stop because of a back injury :(
What level [if a level at all] are you at now? I think competitively I was a novice
How often do you ice skate? I skated almost every morning before school. NOT a fun experience! :D
Do you do competitions? I used to, but they always made me so nervous!
Do you do shows? The shows were so fun to do! One year, I was Wendy in a Peter Pan show :)
What is your least favorite thing abut skating? Definitely falling. I fell so much that I actually became scared of practicing my jumps! And doing laps was never too fun...
What is your favorite thing? I would agree that shows were the best part! It was so fun to dress up and skate in a spot light.
What is the first thing you learned? To stop!
What is the latest thing you learned? Before I quit, I was starting to learn the triple salchow, but sadly that's the jump that injured me!
What is your favorite jump? Double flip! It was the only one I could do consistently lol.
What is your least favorite jump? Lutz!
What is your favorite spin? back spin :)
Least favorite spin? Flying camel! I remember during a practice I started to do a flying camel and ended up landing on my chin instead of my foot and had to get several stitches on my face :(
Anything else: It's awesome that we have skaters on this forum!

#3 AccioGuitar

AccioGuitar

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

Glad to see there skaters other than Princes on the forum. It was starting to get lonely. :)
Why did you start ice skating? I'd been skating recreationally for a couple months 2 years ago, but then the rink closed down. I started skating seriously a week ago. But I've loved the sport since I was like 4 or 5; when I first saw Michelle Kwan skating on the TV.
How long have you been skating? Cumulatively, about 4 or 5 months.
What level [if a level at all] are you at now? No exact level, but I think somewhere around Basic 3 or 4 (USFSA skills)
How often do you ice skate? Twice a week. One lesson, and a public session/
Do you do competitions? Not yet. I hope to do so in the future, though.
Do you do shows? Our rink is just getting established, so we don't have any clubs to put on shows. I hope we do in the future though.
What is your least favorite thing abut skating? Falling. I bruise easily.
What is your favorite thing? I love skating in general, and since I don't know many things yet, the only thing I could really go for is spinning.
What is the first thing you learned? How to stand up without repeatedly falling. I have horrible balance.
What is the latest thing you learned? Shoot the ducks and two-footed spins.
What is your favorite jump? Haven't learned any yet.
What is your least favorite jump? Haven't learned any yet
What is your favorite spin? Two-footed. It's the only one I can do.:)
Least favorite spin? Yeah, about that...
Anything else: Nothing, really. I'm still new at this so I know very little and there's not much else to add. I am getting my first skates though, any suggestions?

#4 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Great to hear from other ice skaters :D

#5 Delilah

Delilah

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

aaah this is old but I still want to do it!!

Why did you start ice skating? I was in Yosemite with my friends and we tried skating for fun. I was a natural (from rollerblading since I was 6) and fell in love right away! <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">How long have you been skating? just a few years<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What level [if a level at all] are you at now? I don't know, I don't do competition and I have never had a lesson in my life! One of my best friends who does competitions helps me out a lot, though. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">How often do you ice skate? Once a week<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Do you do competitions? nope. I wish! I live in a part of California where the closest rink is 3 hours away :( I'm living in Italy this year, so I got my own skates and live right by a rink that's open all year round :)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Do you do shows? I WISH<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is your least favorite thing abut skating? Being cold? Actually I really hate when you fall while wearing tights or something thin, and you get wet and cold :( <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is your favorite thing? Feeling so graceful...and...EVERYTHING! The speed, the adrenaline of learning something scary for the first time...everything <3 <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is the first thing you learned? To do a spin :D SO FUN<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is the latest thing you learned? Jumps! so exciting hahaha<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is your favorite jump? the Lutz jump is amazing to watch, but I haven't been able to do it...yet ;)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is your least favorite jump? ahhh I don't know...<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What is your favorite spin? Biellmann spin ...I can't do it though! It's just beautiful to watch...<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Least favorite spin? I don't have one<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Anything else: I LOVE SKATING