Photo

Against PETA?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

PETA is an organization that supports animal rights that include ending fur and leather use meat and dairy consumption, fishing, hunting, trapping, factory farming, circuses bull fighting, etc... But after reading several comments from fellow members and several protesters, should we really trust this campaign? Researching, I've read about PETA killing animals by the thousands, framing pet stores like Petsmart and Petco by making fake videos, and not taking action for animals. Of the year 2000, PETA president Ingrid Newkirk complained that actually taking care of animals costs more than killing them.

So, what do you think about PETA? Good or bad? Here's their site: http://www.peta.org/

I am being biased, but good info about them seemed to be hard to find. Yes, they have hamsters in their care too. :hamster3:

There's only one thing I like about them... new super chick sisters game! It's on petakids website. :veryhappy:

It takes a raindrop to start a ripple... so combined we can take action! :)

Mod's Note: Please don't double post. If you need to add something than please use the edit button in the bottom right corner of your post. I have merged your posts together.

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 08 October 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#2 HamsterSavvy

HamsterSavvy

Rookie Hamster

• Banned
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:35 AM

I don't much care for Peta to be honest. They are trashing the good name of decent hard working farm folk like my grandfather ( who was a dairy farmer before he retired ) and my mother's cousin who works his family farm raising beef cattle and pigs. I come from a long line of farmers. Its sad really, as farming is vast becoming a thing of the past. Sure you have those that will grow crops, but they usually have a day job to supplement what little income comes from the harvest. More and more farmers are selling off what livestock they have as the cost of keeping them is far more than what little profit they can get at market. I think we should support our farmers. Not the big industrial ones but the small family owned and operated ones. Our farming heritage is disappearing at an alarming rate and we need to preserve it.

#3 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

I'm not a fan of PETA. In my opinion they're just too extremist. Their intentions are okay for the most part, but the way they're trying to get to their goals isn't.

You'll find lots of different opinions but generally with pet owners you might see that we don't like PETA, since they're all up in their "keeping pets is cruel" act :P

Also, did you know that PETA is trying to petition the US Gov't to spay and neuter ALL cats and dogs until the ones without homes have homes? Seems like a good idea but what about the breeders who breed to improve the species, and what the heck are people going to do to get new pets after all these pets have homes? Redomesticate animals from the very beginning? :boggled:
(Or maybe it's their secret plan to completely eradicate household pets...:mindblowing:)

Edited by Plushie, 08 October 2011 - 05:29 AM.

#4 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

For those that want to hear more from the "otherside": http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

This topic in the past has been known to get heated. So behave guys and respect each others differences.

I myself do not support PETA. They are extremists for starters and for the most part lead a rather hypocritical life. Most people that follow them love animals and see PETA as symbolic for such... love. Most don't understand what they really do and what their actions really mean. It used to be on their home page, though last time I checked it was, that they had some quote saying something along the lines of "adopt until their are no more". They went on to explain that they sought to slowly let domestic animals die out- to stop breeding them at all and let animals only be wild- separate from humans completely. It is not a group that I would ever choose to support, for other reasons as well. Not when there are other groups and rescues that promote animal welfare over animal rights; that promote education over extinction.

#5 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:36 AM

I'm not a fan of PETA. In my opinion they're just too extremist. Their intentions are okay for the most part, but the way they're trying to get to their goals isn't.

You'll find lots of different opinions but generally with pet owners you might see that we don't like PETA, since they're all up in their "keeping pets is cruel" act :P

Also, did you know that PETA is trying to petition the US Gov't to spay and neuter ALL cats and dogs until the ones without homes have homes? Seems like a good idea but what about the breeders who breed to improve the species, and what the heck are people going to do to get new pets after all these pets have homes? Redomesticate animals from the very beginning? :boggled:
(Or maybe it's their secret plan to completely eradicate household pets...:mindblowing:)

That's kinda scary!

#6 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

I'm not a fan PETA either

#7 Aluyasha

Aluyasha

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

I also do not support PETA. As others have said, they go to extremes to try to make their point.
They are also trying to pass a law banning people from owning any animal as a pet. And when asked what would people do with the animals they have now their idea was to euthanize everyone's current pets.

Edited by Aluyasha, 08 October 2011 - 06:26 AM.

#8 ♫Hamster On a Piano♫

♫Hamster On a Piano♫

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

I personally think yes, as repeated above, they are way too extreme with their opinions. We are part of the food chain. That's how nature works. I seriously don't believe you can get the WHOLE of North America to be vegetarians. Seriously.

PS: This was a quick post, please understand that I might be a bit vague or biased with this

EDIT: If you think of it this way, plants are ALSO "lives". But they can't communicate to us and make us think they are adorable, so people think "oh by having the whole world vegan we are saving so many cute lil' piggy faces!". End of story.

Note: I did not mean to insult any vegetarians/vegans. I apologize if I did.

Edited by MaliciousVanity, 08 October 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#9 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

Ekk! Really? I always thought they were a good site! :'O

#10 ♫Hamster On a Piano♫

♫Hamster On a Piano♫

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

No offense, but are they telling us not to have pets?

#11 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

If you think of it this way, plants are ALSO "lives".

Posted Image

#12 ♫Hamster On a Piano♫

♫Hamster On a Piano♫

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

LOL I laughed so hard I spat out my ice cream...XD

#13 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I don't much care for Peta to be honest. They are trashing the good name of decent hard working farm folk like my grandfather ( who was a dairy farmer before he retired ) and my mother's cousin who works his family farm raising beef cattle and pigs. I come from a long line of farmers. Its sad really, as farming is vast becoming a thing of the past. Sure you have those that will grow crops, but they usually have a day job to supplement what little income comes from the harvest. More and more farmers are selling off what livestock they have as the cost of keeping them is far more than what little profit they can get at market. I think we should support our farmers. Not the big industrial ones but the small family owned and operated ones. Our farming heritage is disappearing at an alarming rate and we need to preserve it.

PETA does want to make people vegetarians, which I agree is damaging profit from farming. I understand the low pay of farmers as well. Hopefully, PETA will be stopped but it's also the choices people make to follow them.

#14 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:50 AM

Wow, I didn't know any of the stuff you've explained. It does sound like a secret plan...but it may take a while for ALL dogs and cats to be spayed and neutered. I don't think the government wants to pay for these animals' treatment, but many households own pets and to "erase" all household pets will be kinda unlikely. Breeders from other countries may "smuggle" pets in America too.

For those that want to hear more from the "otherside": http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

This topic in the past has been known to get heated. So behave guys and respect each others differences.

I myself do not support PETA. They are extremists for starters and for the most part lead a rather hypocritical life. Most people that follow them love animals and see PETA as symbolic for such... love. Most don't understand what they really do and what their actions really mean. It used to be on their home page, though last time I checked it was, that they had some quote saying something along the lines of "adopt until their are no more". They went on to explain that they sought to slowly let domestic animals die out- to stop breeding them at all and let animals only be wild- separate from humans completely. It is not a group that I would ever choose to support, for other reasons as well. Not when there are other groups and rescues that promote animal welfare over animal rights; that promote education over extinction.

It seems they do want household pets to disappear , but their "mission" is going to take a while.

That's kinda scary!

I know! But there will be people like us ( hopefully) who will stand up against them! :starry-eyed:

I'm not a fan PETA either

Agreed. :veryhappy:

I also do not support PETA. As others have said, they go to extremes to try to make their point.
They are also trying to pass a law banning people from owning any animal as a pet. And when asked what would people do with the animals they have now their idea was to euthanize everyone's current pets.

Euthanize??!! No pets?! Not surprising... :sweatdrop:

I personally think yes, as repeated above, they are way too extreme with their opinions. We are part of the food chain. That's how nature works. I seriously don't believe you can get the WHOLE of North America to be vegetarians. Seriously.

PS: This was a quick post, please understand that I might be a bit vague or biased with this

EDIT: If you think of it this way, plants are ALSO "lives". But they can't communicate to us and make us think they are adorable, so people think "oh by having the whole world vegan we are saving so many cute lil' piggy faces!". End of story.

Note: I did not mean to insult any vegetarians/vegans. I apologize if I did.

You are so right! :scratchchin:

Ekk! Really? I always thought they were a good site! :'O

I thought so too a long time... until I researched some facts. A lot of facts that changed my mind. But since I love animals, I don't blame anyone for following PETA.

#15 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not for PETA at all. I think it's all been said above.

There are some animals I am, however, against keeping as pets, but that's just my personal opinion blah blah lol.