Photo

Has your hamster ever escaped?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

Has your hamster ever escaped? Where did you find him? I once left one of the caps to my Habitrail Ovo Loft loose and Pepper got out in the middle of the night -.-
Luckily after two hours of searching in the morning I found him in my piggy bank...LOL :laughing:

#2 negar

negar

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

Gholi once escaped . I found him after 5-6 hours under the fridge Posted Image

#3 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

My current girls have never escaped before. I have had some Houdini hams before. All of their escapes were my fault, leaving doors open, tubes not done right, etc, except for one hamster that could open is habitrail (older ones not the ovo or twist)doors himself and could also escape some other way- though how I never figured out.

#4 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:52 AM

Jingle once escaped. Wait I take that back twice actually.

The first time she chewed through her mesh and climbed up onto her house and escaped but all she did was stay on the rim and then go back in. How did I know she escaped? Lots of poop on the rim of the lid.

The 2nd time she chewed through the mesh again [after this I got her a smaller house :) ]climbed up onto her house jumped about 7 feet down crawled down a flight of stairs and was found in a huge pile of poop [like 50 pieces] as I went upstairs. I didn't know she escaped I just walked up the stairs and saw a fuzzy little sleep girl in a pile of scat :P

#5 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:52 AM

I once caught Millie dangling out the hole for the gate on her cage after I forgot I'd left it open.
I'm pretty sure I broke the land speed record as I leapt, literally leapt from my office chair the other side of the room to grab her before she got (fell!) out.

#6 BlueEternity

BlueEternity

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

None of my recents hamsters (or pets in general) have escaped. However when I was 10, my dwarf hamster escaped. We looked and looked and never found her! 1 1/2 years later I spotted her living in my basement, but could never catch her. We knew it was her because she was cream colored and had red eyes. By then I just assumed it was better to leave her be because she had been "wild" for so long. We found her passed on the stairs one night (about 2 years after her escape) and buried her in my backyard. We have always had mice living in my basement, and to this day my family still jokes that there are mouse/dwarf hamster hybrids living in the walls of our house :rolleyes:.

Edited by BlueEternity, 22 July 2011 - 06:19 AM.

#7 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Aww that's so sad!
When you found her on the stairs, it's like she was saying "I'm ready to come home now" :crybuckets:

#8 BlueEternity

BlueEternity

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Aww that's so sad!
When you found her on the stairs, it's like she was saying "I'm ready to come home now" :crybuckets:

It was sad. :undecided: I was always amazed though that she survived on her own (although after I discovered she was alive, I left hamster food mix out for her in the basement every week or so.) and that she managed to live 2 years by herself! Pretty amazing for an animal that has been domesticated for so long.

#9 Dr.Hammie

Dr.Hammie

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Well, my hamster was in its playpen, chewed the cardboard and was home free. LOL The playpen was upstairs and I was afraid she fell down a floor and died, luckily, she became a ninja hamster and climbed down the stairs ( I think ) and was chewing on a wooden cabinet :slaphappy: We found her 2 hrs after she made the great escape. :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

#10 hamstery

hamstery

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

Please dont ask me how many times mine have escaped lol I even found one outside some how! Mine just amaze me sometimes

#11 Genevie

Genevie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Luckily not yet, if any of them did I'd probably freak out! My best friend's Chinese hamster Daisy escaped recently (after she forgot to lock her door and the cats got in), she was traumatised by it. Luckily she found Daisy behind her syrian Oliver's cage after a few hours, she had to miss school to look for her though.

#12 ♫Hamster On a Piano♫

♫Hamster On a Piano♫

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Gholi once escaped . I found him after 5-6 hours under the fridge Posted Image

Oh my, I found my Eggy once under the fridge too!

#13 negar

negar

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

they hide in the smallest places everPosted Image

#14 Laura101

Laura101

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

Almost every one of my hamsters, when they got out, would crawl into my closet. I once found one of my hamster's Mocha, in my clothes drawer, I dont know how she ever got in their, but when I opened, her little head popped up as if to say "Hey whats up?"

#15 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:33 AM

Please dont ask me how many times mine have escaped lol I even found one outside some how! Mine just amaze me sometimes

I know! It's so weird and cool how they can fit into such tiny spaces but it can also be inconvenient :P