Photo

Tanks vs. Bin cages!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#91 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

Lol no it was just the tank. :tongue: Rediculous! Heh I should venture one down and have a look!

The one I have is bottom heavy, like excessively. And it's just awkward weight, I have to use two hands and I clean it in the bath tub so it's like a wrestling match LOL. Plus I'm scared I will break it. And the tank I have is on top of my closet on a shelf, so when I take it down (which is a few times a day) I'm always wondering when I'm going to take it to the face, haha.

I agree though! Cleaning hamster cages are muuuuch easier. When I clean the bettas, it's like. A chore that spans a few hours haha.

LOL. My hamster tanks are all low to the ground, thankfully. I've already dropped a laptop on my face and broke my nose... I can only imagine the damage I'd do with a tank! Also, you should go shopping here--I live kind of close to the Canadian border... it's only about a 9 hour drive to the border. No big deal. ;D

Another option for tanks, and one I am dying to try this spring, is adding potted plants to the hamster cage.

I suppose you could do that with a bin cage, though.

Edited by Amaryllis, 14 December 2011 - 06:56 AM.

#92 MsCrumby

MsCrumby

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm pretty proud that I managed to make 2 rather large bin cages for just under £15 this week, no major injuries either :veryhappy: I'd still much prefer tanks, but I'm useless at manoeuvring them for cleaning and I'm so clumsy I'd have them smashed within a week :rolleyes:

#93 MissAnna

MissAnna

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

If you think about saving money, i'll recomand bin cages. My bin cage, cost 70 dollars, and you can get it cheaper- If you life in suck in US, UK, ore just get it on sale! But if you don't mind the overflod of money to a glastank, then thats the deal. Posted Image Get minimun a 20 gallon tank, but i'll recommand more floorspace, to your hammie. Posted Image :)

Im thinking of making a bin cage, but I don't want to use the wire because it'll be hard to find around here. Does anyone have any ideas of something I could use besides wire that would be cheap?

You could use chickenfence? :)

#94 wystearya

wystearya

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I just want to make one point about bin cages:

Yes, a plain bin is not very attractive and you can't see your hamster that well. However, if you add a plexiglass 'window' to it, the problem is solved!

#95 Simi

Simi

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I've only had a bin cage because it was the only thing I could have fit in my room, I think they both have little things that the other doesn't, but they're both good options :P