Photo

What Did Your Parents Think of Your New Pet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

My parents have always loved hamsters.

#32 ★PippinTheHamster★

★PippinTheHamster★

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

My dad didn't really care about Pippin although he didn't dislike her either, he has even offered to get me a new hamster although I'm not ready so soon after her death. My mom really liked Pippin and thought she was the cutest little Hamster.

#33 genie4277

genie4277

Baby Hamster

• 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

It all started when my friend got a hamster . I fell in love with her hamster and hamster babies . Then I begged my parents until they said yes.

#34 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

My parents were-and still are- afraid of Pepper. Pepper looks like a mini opossum so that may be why. :rotfl:

#35 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

My mom and dad didn't care much when I asked the first time, so they got me one. When it died, my dad was on a bussiness trip, and he called me and said, "I am so sorry. we can get another one when I get back." so, i'm guessing he either liked my first hammie, or just didn't care again. The second time I got a hamster, it died with in three days of staying with us. And this time my parents did not say a word. Mom is litterally fine with any animal in the house, my dad well... not the easiest to convince. I had to wait a long ti e to ask again, because I was nervous. =P But then I finally had the guts to ask and my dad said, "Why not another guinea pig?" cause I had a guinea pig and it only stayed with us for a month, but we fell in love with her. I wanted to try again on hamsters, so I said no. Then dad thought about it, and he said, "we can try again, but I am not toching that rat". I was offended a bit about him calling hamsters "rats", but I was happy too that we could get another hamster! My mom, well totally supportive. She even helped me convince my dad! So, yeah that's my story! Sorry it's so long. I have confusing parents! XP

#36 Rubyyyyyyyy

Rubyyyyyyyy

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

Two Sisters: Like the hamster but aren't as obsessed with her diet, handling, cage cleaning, etc..
Dad: Couldn't care less
Mom: Likes hamster and all rodents for that matter but doesn't care about hamster specifics, like sisters.

#37 ratedKG

ratedKG

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

My parents were very happy that I acquired a pair of teddies, my grandma is on the contrary though. :D

#38 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

My dad doesn't like any pets but dogs and fish and didn't allow any in the house (still wont, refuses to meet my hams, even calls them rats when I try to show him pictures). He thought I spent too much time and money on my fish, thinks I do the same with the hamsters.

My dad and my boyfriend both are the "why spend $50 on a vet bill for a $15 pet" types, but at least both of them shut up about it after I flipped out and went on a huge rant about how it doesn't matter how much I paid for the animal, the animal is my responsibility, so even disregarding emotional attachment, I refuse to not take care of something I have responsibility for to the very best of my ability. There wasn't much they could say to that. Posted Image

My boyfriend does really like the natural set ups I create for my hams. And he thinks Tess is cute and I think he secretly spoils her, so we both forgave him. :) My dad is the only person Tess hasn't won over, but I think that's only because he refuses to meet her!

#39 Rubidium

Rubidium

Baby Hamster

• 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

This may be a slightly longish story....to get to my hamster I must first tell the story of my rats.

Well my first rodents were rats. Two older male rats that were being rehomed on craigslist. I had been wanting rats and reading up on them and trying to convince my parents for about a year. My dad was fine with it "as long as they don't smell" and my mom was a little weary about it but trusted me enough to have done the right research and be prepared. Like I said my first two rats were off of craigslist and they were about 2 when I got them. I named them Shack and Smudge and they were the most docile, loving, intelligent little critters I have ever met. My mom who at first hated the idea of rats learned to appreciate them. She started telling everyone how clean and friendly and smart they were. I cleaned the cage once a week but my dad still complained about the smell and said that his allergies were acting up because of it. I had the boys for about six months when Shack developed a tumor under one of his front legs. It got to the point where he couldn't get around comfortably and wasn't eating so I had to put him down. Smudgie became very depressed and I was worried he would die too. I bought two baby male rats from a pet store and brought them home and put them in a cage next to Smudge. They seemed very interested and friendly towards each other so after a week I introduced them on my bed and they all got along great. The babies were named Ebb and Elijah. Smudge was around for about another year after that, he eventually died of old age. Ebb and Elijah both died of natural causes around 3 years later. I really wanted more rats but my father begged me not to get them because his allergies seemed to really act up around them. About a year had gone by and I was very sad about my lack of rodents. My family was visiting my aunt, uncle, and six year old cousin and my cousin had gotten a male syrian for christmas. I fell in love with him, he just sat in the arms of my six year old cousin and chilled. He was super friendly. I had always thought hamsters were adorable but never wanted one because all of the hamsters my friends had growing up were pure evil. I had been bitten by far too many hams and never once been bitten by my rats. However when I met little Sammie the syrian and saw how loving he was I decided maybe I should give hamsters a try :) Both my parents were fine with it, and my dad didn't seem to be affected by Sammie so a few weeks later (on my birthday actually) I went and bought Ruby. I initially wanted a male but I instantly fell in love with her so I had to take her home. Unfortunately the cage I bought her was too small (lesson learned, I should have found this website before getting her..) but I've since built a bin cage. Ruby is awesome. She's definitely different than my ratties, but I'm enjoying hamster ownership. My mom thinks she's adorable and wants to hold her but is afraid of being bitten (she hasn't bitten me yet just little nibbles). My dad is indifferent and refers to her as "your squirrel."

If anyone actually read that whole thing....kudos to you :)

Edited by Rubidium, 17 May 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#40 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

When I was living with my parents, there was a very strict "No pets other than dogs and birds" rule. Rodents and reptiles were specifically forbidden. The rodent part never bothered me, because I never really thought about hamsters as pets. I think part of that is that there were no pet stores within an hour of us. I never pushed the issue, because I was a good kid like that. Posted Image

Fast-forward to my senior year of college. My boyfriend and I were semi-living-together. We randomly decided to go into a local PetSmart. We saw two hamsters trying to run opposite directions on the same wheel at the same time. They weren't fighting or anything; they both just seemed confused at why the wheel wasn't working. We must have watched them for a good 10 - 15 minutes. Posted Image

After a few months of research, we ended up with Popcorn. And then 4 months later, we ended up with Mozzarella. Boyfriend was pretty open to the idea (Popcorn was his first ever pet!), and has really grown to love them.

Despite her earlier anti-rodent status, my mom thinks they're adorable and is totally fine with keeping them at her house for a few weeks when I come up to visit. Which is confusing as all get-out, but I guess I can't really complain. Posted Image

EDIT:

Oh, and I read your post Rubidium. I think it's awesome that you were able to convert your parents to rats. I can get away with hamsters, but I don't think rats would go over well at all.

Edited by The Taxonomist, 17 May 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#41 CollegeHam

CollegeHam

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Got Abigail recently.
Mom wasn't thrilled at first. I had to beg my dad. But my dad had a hamster named Judy growing up, and he likes her. Mom melted at first sight, and started talking baby-talk to her. She even came up with her name :P

#42 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Got Abigail recently.
Mom wasn't thrilled at first. I had to beg my dad. But my dad had a hamster named Judy growing up, and he likes her. Mom melted at first sight, and started talking baby-talk to her. She even came up with her name :P

Who wouldn't melt at first sight when you see Abigail? She is soooo floofy and adorable!!!! Posted Image I am ham-napping her tonight! Posted Image

#43 CollegeHam

CollegeHam

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Who wouldn't melt at first sight when you see Abigail? She is soooo floofy and adorable!!!! Posted Image I am ham-napping her tonight! Posted Image

Nooo!! Not my future dorm pal!

#44 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Nooo!! Not my future dorm pal!

Hehe! You win this time, but I will get Abigail! Soon! Posted Image

#45 Robolover13

Robolover13

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

My parents didn't really mind when I had my hamster. I took good care of him.

Now my parents are like:
Dad: The cat will eat it!
Mom: I know they are so cute, fine, you can have one.