Photo

Venison?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 artchic528

artchic528

Rookie Hamster

• Banned
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

My uncle and his son, my cousin, go out every fall with friends, or at least try to, and hunt down deer. Its like a father son bonding time for them, even though the son is now an adult with a family of his own. Anyways, the meat that they bring back is given to a friend with a processing plant and it comes back packaged as sausage, jerky, venison steaks, ect. If we come to their farm, once a small family run dairy farm that my dad, the uncle and their other siblings grew up on in the southwest part of Minnesota, during the fall we get to have some of venison and take some back home with us. So far I have had venison sausage and deer jerky. Both are so delicious. They are blended with these spices that really brings out the flavor of the meat and has you craving for more. The best part? The meat is very lean and extremely healthy. The animals haven't been kept in stock yards and subject to the many diseases and injuries that come about from that, and they aren't given steroids and such to boost their meat productivity. Its also healthy for the natural deer population. As man has encroached onto their native homelands and killed off large numbers of wolves, coyotes, and pumas that keep the deer population in check and healthy, the population has come to be overwhelming on both the people, and their food sources. This leaves many deer suffering from a long and slow starvation, or illnesses, or even old age. Its much more humane to have the animals die swiftly in one go from a well aimed bullet that to have them stagger on for weeks, even months, slowly and painfully suffering.

Its basically win/win. Man gets a relatively easy to access source of delicious, low fat meat and the deer get a healthier, more controlled population. And as a bonus, man gets to enjoy being in the wilds and bond with one another as only men can. There is no downside!

#2 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

I've never ever tried it. My only contact with it was my dad's friend cooking moose meat when we were camping a few years ago. It smells like roadkill.
I could never imagine eating it, I know it's a very rich taste much different than what I've ever eaten.

I only eat chicken anyways.. as that's the closest I can get to being a vegetarian again. And due to my digestive issues, red meat and pork (usually) have been cut from my diet as recommended by my doctor.

But, as long as every useable part of the animal is used, I have no problem with it, lol.

#3 artchic528

artchic528

Rookie Hamster

• Banned
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Oh every part fit for human consumption is used, and the rest, like the lower legs, is given to the dogs and the antlers and head are saved to be mounted.

#4 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

Yes well I'm sure it's good and I'm sure it's good for like the deer population but I could never dream of eating a WILD animal. When I first learned that meat was an animal when I was 5 I wouldn't eat any until I was 7 when my mom convinced me that the animals I ate where bred to be eaten and given a eat good life before being put down to a painless death. I still don't like meat very much but my parents make me eat it. Anyway though animals like deer, wild turkey, and squirrel [yes people eat squirrels] are not raised to be killed and that is why I'll never eat them. In my opinion all animals are cute but the cutest ones are the most hard to eat. Like pigs. I love love love sausage but I have to close my eyes when I eat it and forget it's a pig. Anyway that's all :D

#5 Not-Here-Bye

Not-Here-Bye

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

No offense, but hunters saying they're hunting for population control is just an excuse to kill an animal. Deer are only thriving because hunters hunted the predators to low numbers or extinction in the first place. The deer population will steady itself through natural means. Doesn't need humans playing god.

That said, I would never had eaten any wild animal as a meat eater.