Photo

Satin coated Syrian hamster has red spot on he's back.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 hammimammi

hammimammi

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

We bought a Syrian hamster 5 days ago. He looked fine and active like all 7-week old hamsters. I have been trying to tame him by giving food from my hand and we have not picked him up much to let him get used to the new place. On the first day we let him to run around the floor a little and the next day we introduced him the training ball. I it was pretty loud when he bumped into walls with it and it might of scared him. He acted fine after 10 minutes of ball training. On that day we also put him toilet paper (non scented/colored/bleached) in to the cage because some people said they like to tear it and build nest to sleep (we have fluff too in he's house). The next day he was running around like something is bothering him and scratching himself a lot. We examined he's skin and didn't see any marks/spots then. I removed the toilet paper thinking it might of caused the itch (allergic?) because it was in he's house and the only new thing after few days. After that I haven't noticed him scratching himself unusually but he does wash himself a lot (probably normal for hamsters). So today I noticed this red spot on he's back. It doesn't look like a fresh wound, neither is there any blood. Just a red spot, little higher of the skin... no redness around it and no hair loss. Also, he's back hair have been very greasy- maybe just because he can't reach to wash that far? I also tried to take pictures but it was hard to keep him still and did not want to disturb him too much. He looks normal just the spot and greasy back (the back wasn't greasy when we got him). We are feeding him with Wagg Hamster Gerbil Mouse Munch and yogurt drops for a treat, in cage we use Wilko Pet Bedding Wood Shavings and also the bedding fluff in little house- all from Wilkinsons (UK).
Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60188383@N04/5756461044/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60188383@N04/5756465480/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60188383@N04/5755925607/in/photostream/

Thank You for reading.

Edited by hammimammi, 25 May 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#2 lacrima

lacrima

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Firstly throw away the fluff, it's dangerous for hamsters!

Secondly your hamster could be allergic to the bedding or the food or have mites or a skin dryness. However unless he has symptoms of any kind he may just be a normal satin Syrian that could have been a result of a litter with two satin parents, causing his fur to be thinner and finer then normal satins, even sparse. He could be ill or a double satin with sensitive skin.

It could also be an abcess, a bug bite, even a nick or scratch that just got redder and more swollen as he messed with it. Lots of wounds I see here at work are self inflicted accidentally after tying to bring relief to themselves.

Edited by lacrima, 25 May 2011 - 08:03 AM.

#3 Buttercup Bento

Buttercup Bento

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

From what I have heard on here, Satin hamsters can look a bit greasy so I wouldn't worry about that. From what I've seen with my non-satin Syrians, they can reach everywhere to cleanse themselves.

Regarding the red spot, I take it your Syrian is male. Does he have this on his hip/back area and one on either side? I can't see too well on the pic. If so, they're probably scent glands. My little boy's didn't show up until we'd had him for a few weeks. Due to his colour, Buster's show up as grey and are about 4mm wide on each side. On this topic, it was incredibly comical when we first put him the bathroom as he insisted on scenting every section he could reach by rubbing these patches on him.

#4 lacrima

lacrima

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:25 AM

From what I have heard on here, Satin hamsters can look a bit greasy so I wouldn't worry about that. From what I've seen with my non-satin Syrians, they can reach everywhere to cleanse themselves.

Regarding the red spot, I take it your Syrian is male. Does he have this on his hip/back area and one on either side? I can't see too well on the pic. If so, they're probably scent glands. My little boy's didn't show up until we'd had him for a few weeks. Due to his colour, Buster's show up as grey and are about 4mm wide on each side. On this topic, it was incredibly comical when we first put him the bathroom as he insisted on scenting every section he could reach by rubbing these patches on him.

Satins "look" greasy but are actually velvety soft, it's just a shine. Also males and females both have scent glands on either hindquarter that can range from flesh color to dark brown and seem a tad textured like a mole.

If her hamster is a juvenile it makes sense for them to appear suddenly and get darker - however she is explaining symptoms of itch and dark (almost irritated) skin. Scent glands don't cause this.

All hamsters - satin or not - can reach their bodies to cleanse themselves, the Satin "sheen" has nothing to do with cleanliness it's just thinner, hardier single hairs that have a neat phenotype that causes them to reflect light differently then normal hairs. Hamsters can look greasy if they are dirty or have too many dirty oils on their skin but that is accompanied with a "dirty" or "oily" feeling when you touch or pet them.

#5 hammimammi

hammimammi

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hello again. Thank You for all the advise. Today he was running on a big blanket and started to wash himself a lot again and after that there was a wet spot of fur and same kind of red spot on the other side too so I assume it has to be the scent glans. He looks fine just washes himself a lot- and he's back looks too dirty to be natural grease... tried to brush the hair with soft toothbrush- didn't make any change and he didn't let me to do it much. Well, I'll just give him time and we will see if he will eventually get it clean. Do you think giving him a bath in few days (if it's still greasy) would be a silly idea?
P.S. Also removed the bedding fluff.

Thank You everybody.

#6 lacrima

lacrima

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hello again. Thank You for all the advise. Today he was running on a big blanket and started to wash himself a lot again and after that there was a wet spot of fur and same kind of red spot on the other side too so I assume it has to be the scent glans. He looks fine just washes himself a lot- and he's back looks too dirty to be natural grease... tried to brush the hair with soft toothbrush- didn't make any change and he didn't let me to do it much. Well, I'll just give him time and we will see if he will eventually get it clean. Do you think giving him a bath in few days (if it's still greasy) would be a silly idea?
P.S. Also removed the bedding fluff.

Thank You everybody.

I am a Hamster breeder and I see this behavior as they begin their heat cycles. The "grease" could just be from the new glands working. They take that oil and put it all over their body and on things in their cages that they claim. Some hamsters have more "oils" being released then others and need more sand baths then others. This is normal.

Never bathe a hamster, as they are never meant to be wet! They are desert animals that live in dry grassy steppes or in sandy desert areas. Never wet a hamster. To bathe, they roll in sand. I suggest buying Chinchilla SAND (not DUST) or some play sand from Toys R Us for them to bathe in. The Play sand needs to be washed before hand and dried out naturally before you can allow your hamsters to roll in - but the Chinchilla sand bath is already cleaned and ready to go (Animal safe). Do this sparingly or when necessary as some hamsters get allergies or the sand in their lungs if used too often.

I think your hamster will grow out of this "dirty/greasy" stage as he matures. His hormones are just going crazy - kind of like puberty eh?

One of my males during his "greasy" stage:
Posted Image

Now:
Posted Image

Edited by lacrima, 26 May 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#7 Jaybee

Jaybee

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

I have a satin hamster. If you want to try and make the fur look less greasy, you can try to rub some baby powder into it. Also, my satin will urinate in his bed, and after a couple of days that will make him look dirtier. Does your hamster do this? I fixed it by cleaning out his bed more than the rest of the cage.