Photo

Hamster Cages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

I am getting money to buy new cages-one for Dwobble - and one for a new hamster when I get one-For Dwobble, right now she has a crittertrail 1. I was planning on getting her another crittertrail 1, becaue hers is cracked 2 times(nothing big). And I have the older version of it. So I was wanted a new one. But then there is the Crittertrail 2, for only about 5 dollers more. Do you think I should get that or the cage she has now. Will it do anything to her if I just change the cage? Because I don't want her confused. Can ya help? ???

#2 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 10:58 PM

Why do people view it, but not answer it?

#3 Bunny Lover

Bunny Lover

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:56 AM

:rainbow: I don't think Dwooble Would Mind switching to a ct2 because its bigger and more of an adventure! Maybe you can connect the ct2 to his cage hes using now for a few days so he can slowly switch, that way he can get used to the new cage and still have the comfort of his old home! THen If you want you can disconnect them!

#4 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 08:58 PM

Thanks, yeah thats a good idea. I just think that she will get used to having 2 cagess, and the old cage will be going to my freind caitlin, because we both are getting new winter whites (when we find someone who has ww babies). --it will be hard to find them-

#5 The Hawk

The Hawk

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:06 PM

I do not like crittertrails. They are cheaply made, hamsters like to hide in the tubes in hard to get at places, the plastic can absorb oder, hamsters can easily push open the door or bite through the plastic, and they break very easily. I would suggest that you buy either an cage made by "Hartz", or buy a ten gallon aquarium cage.

#6 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:40 PM

No, normal dwarf hamsters cannot push open the door. And if your hamster has plenty to do in the cage at night, then biting he cage sould not be a prob. I like the cages becaue they have much better air flow.

#7 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:44 PM

Monkeygirl has a teddy bear hamster. She is using two Habitrails connected by a 13" vertical tube. They are stacked on a 3 tier rolling cart, which is really nice because it can be moved from room to room.

I preferred the Habitrail over the Crittertrail because it seemed to be better constructed.

We first bought an aquarium and No Name HATED :mad: :devil: it with a purple passion! She would just stand there on her back legs trying to climb the walls to get out. She is much happier and contented now!

P.S. We use the bottom Safari Habitrail for her home area and the Space Station Habitrail for her play area. We had the space station first but she prefers the Safari so we keep that as her main living space.

#8 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:46 PM

HOw much are those ones?

#9 rodent_crazy

rodent_crazy

Junior Hamster

• 160 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 05:50 AM

I'd go with ct2 and ct1 add a lazy lookout if u can
btw i dunno y some ppl just veiw it annoys me lil

#10 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:04 PM

Yep I know

#11 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:47 PM

The Safari was $35.00 at a local feed store and the Space Station was $29.99 at Petco. The tubes all range in prices and you can get quite extravagant and creative with them...if you plan on spending some $$$$.

Also, I found that SAM tubes can be used on the habitrails also. That is the bubble loop that I have shown in some of No Name's pics.

You can see a picture of No Name's cage (in its old configuration..they are now stacked and off the floor on a rolling cart) in one of the posts on the board. It's under "No Name's Palace".

#12 Hamtaro_Gurl

Hamtaro_Gurl

Adult Hamster

• 263 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:07 AM

I have just a plain wire cage with a ladder to the top so he can crawl up there i got mine @ Petsmart 4 only $20.00 it wuz a good deal

#13 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:53 AM

Was it one of the blue or purple ones in the gray tub? If so, a friend of ours has that one and they seem pleased with it. I just like the Habitrails because there are so many fun things you can do with them! :boat:

I am sure your cage will be just fine for your little one Megan..You will have to post a picture of your little hammie!

#14 lcarls71

lcarls71

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:20 PM

Watch E-Bay for REALLY cheap cages and accesories.

#15 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 05:12 AM

But on e-bay you cannot tell if the item is a good item or not, like if it is broken or usable.