Photo

Would you give up keeping hamsters?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

So evidence is starting to show that hamster require a lot more room then most of us ever thought before. One study suggest that a syrian needs 1 square metre of floorspace, and a dwarf needs about 0.5 square metre of floorspace. Along with the space they need a wheel, lots of bedding to burrow in, and a stimulating environment. theFeldhamster talks more about this on her blog: Click.

So hypothetically what if right now I said that without a doubt hamsters require these cage sizes and setups. That what most of us have is without a doubt cruel and undersized. That in order to give your hamster what it deserves you need to upgrade your cages and soon. That anything smaller is cruel. Science was backing this up completely, study after study was coming in proving this. What would you do?

Would you try rehoming your hamster?
Would you upgrade?
Would you stick with what you have for now and then give up hamsters afterwards if you couldn't upgrade?
Would you just disagree and stick with what you have?

I started thinking about this earlier. If I found out right now that what I have (a 20 gallon long) is without a doubt downright cruel and then even my Detolf cage (about 1088sq inches) is still too small then well... right now I'd probably just upgrade my girls to the detolf and let them live their lives out in there. Right now I honestly don't think I would run out and buy new cage. I would probably feel guilty about it though, if it was absolutely true that hamsters needed more room. But I probably wouldn't upgrade until later on. And maybe this is selfish but I think I would still keep hamsters after that even without upgrading. I would eventually but not right away.

What about you guys?

*edit* The more I think about this, the more I disagree with myself. I would upgrade if I could. Right now I cannot upgrade from my detolf, but if I could then I would. However if I couldn't upgrade than I would let my girls live out their lives. And that would be it. It's hypocritical for me to say that I would keep hamsters in a cage that is (in this scenario) cruel and yet expect others in real life to upgrade from their habitrail or other small cage. So I think I would follow suit with thefeldhamster and just be a stop for hamsters needing a home, a foster home basically. That way I'm doing something great, I'm helping hamsters and I still get to have them in my life.

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 11 November 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#2 WinterbellHamstery

WinterbellHamstery

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hmmm. No I would not give mine up, and nor would I change they way they live at the moment because I breed and have many. I do not have the space to give all 15+ hamsters that much room.

#3 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

Right now I couldn't do anything because I live with my mother & my brother, so I can't take over their space much more than I already do.
I suppose I would let Kodi & Neu live their lives in their current cages, then not get anymore hamsters until I move out on my own and can get big enough cages. :sweatdrop:
I wouldn't give them away.

Edited by MilkyFactory, 13 February 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#4 Genevie

Genevie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

I would upgrade Olivia to the biggest cages I could afford / fit in my house, and I wouldn't get anymore hamsters until I was in my own place with enough space to keep them. I would never give up for good, nor would I ever give away my baby :)

#5 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

C_H, I think your math is a little off. Dwarves need 5 square feet (720 square inches) and you have a Detolf (1088 square inches). So how is a detolf too small?

#6 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:34 AM

I would probably get a new cage when I have enough money to spare.... wait this isn't true is it!? :sweatdrop:

#7 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:05 AM

wait this isn't true is it!? :sweatdrop:

If you read what C_H wrote, she says "Science was backing this up completely, study after study was coming in proving this" I really can't believe it either!

Edited by Luci17, 13 February 2011 - 06:06 AM.

#8 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

If you read what C_H wrote, she says "Science was backing this up completely, study after study was coming in proving this" I really can't believe it either!

I did read it, I just couldn't believe it! Well now I'm happy I'm making a bin cage. I can't believe how sad it is for a hamster who has a Crittertrail cage... :crybuckets:

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:29 AM

Sorry this is supposed to be slightly hypothetical. There is one study (that I know of) that mentions this but not everyone seems to 100% agree with it. I'll edit my first post to make that a little more clear.

Luci17: I was thinking of the 1 square metre setup in comparison to my detolfs. I think you have to add one floorspace when you have more than one hamster according to that study. Besides if syrians really do need that much room then I don't see why dwarfs wouldn't seeing as thy tend to be more active then syrians as it is.

I didn't think that many people, if any, would give up their current hamsters besides there's not a huge multitude of dedicated hamster lovers out when you consider the ratio of responsible and researched owners compared to those that don't research to rehome your hamster too.

I can see breeders or rescues not upgrading but most of the hamsters are temporary right? They find homes eventually while it might be a different story for permanent residents.

#10 Jaybee

Jaybee

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

the biggest i could even possibly go would be a detolf, but i'd have to make room for that. i don't think i'd give up my hamsters, esp not right away. i'd just do what i could to upgrade them to the biggest i could do.

#11 Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Banned
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

i would buy each of my hammies another bin and connect them so they'd have proper space :) I would love to give mine that much room anyway. If i could I would give each or my hammies a 40 long which is 4 sq ft

#12 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Well just as little perspective 1 meter2 = 10.76391042 feet2. So you would need about 2 and half forty gallon longs per syrian to give them each enough room according to this study/hypothetical situation.

#13 Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Banned
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

yeah i wanna give them forty longs just cuz ... I think for that kind of floor space they'd need a 125 gallon

#14 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Closer to a 180 gallon actually: 72"L x 25"W x 25"H

#15 Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Elli-Kodi'sMommy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Banned
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

thing is those are SO deep .. you'd be best custom building or you'd have to climb in with the hammy lol ... or make a c&c cage meshed over and make a homemade lid