Photo

your very first hamster that started it all..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 Delilah

Delilah

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

what happened to you that started it all? for me I found a hamster cage and supplies at a yard sale when I was really little and my mom bought it for me and then I got my very first hamster, Chester..thats what started my whole hamster obsession. what about all you?

#2 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

A friend of my mom had a group of hamsters in a huge tank, and I couldn't take my eyes off them.
When I was allowed my first pet, I chose a hamster, knowing how fun they are to watch. I got a black & white syrian, called Coco.
After that, I couldn't live without a hamster anymore.

#3 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

I had always wanted a hamster when I was little, when I turned eleven I decided that I wanted a pet of my own so I did research and saved up my money and was aloud to get a hamster. I ended up with a long haired sable syrian named Dash. Ever since then I've had a hamster in my life, I've learned a heck of a lot since then too.

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

My dad spontaneously found an ad for a Syrian hamster on Craigslist so he asked me if I wanted a hamster and I said yes. Of course I was stupid (9 years whoot) so I did a bunch of stuff wrong though xD

#5 Magi_Axi_Ruin

Magi_Axi_Ruin

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

My mom's friends didn't want their 3 hamsters anymore and since they gave us mice a few years ago, they thought we'll be capable of caring for hamsters. --> Hamster care all the way.

#6 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

Plushie: You should leave a criagslist ad for a hamster open and see if he does it again. :P

#7 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

LOL, I wish. He said, after Pebbles and Skittles passed away, that I could have another hamster only if it was free. And now he's changed his mind so no more hamsters. D:<
It's okay...I can still hide them under my bed right?? :cheeky:

#8 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

I am so jealous of all of you... :sad:
I've never actually owned a hamster in my life... I've begged and pleaded for the last like 6 years when I first joined the site, but even now they won't cave. My mom's always said: "they stink, what if it escapes? You can't even make your own bed, what makes you think you can take care of a hamster?". :cheeky:
Yeah.

But an old friend of mine had a dwarf hamster that I used to love spending time with. I hamster-sat him for a week while she went on vacation, but that was the closest I've ever came to owning one. She inspired me to join the site, and learn about hamsters even though I haven't own one!

#9 HaruChan

HaruChan

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

For me it all started out when I was 7, well anyone who knows me knows that I have been with animals all my life (literally), my brothers owned budgies when I was born and I have never lived a day w/o a pet, and since my bros had so many pets I asked my parents for my own and they said "no you are too young". So I did research on CATS anyways(well only on the basics though) and whenever we went to the pet store for supplies for my bros' birds I would always be at staring at the Hamsters and Cats (I don't know why I stared at hamsters out of all pets because I have always asked for a kitten and not a hamster) so randomly one day my bro went to the pet store alone and brought back all the supplies a hamster would need and set it up but he kept everything in his closet, so the next day my bro didn't have school but I did so he went and bought a hamster and put her in her cage and left her in my room so when I came back from school and entered my room there was a cute light cream/brown and white banded hamster (which I named Fluffy) in an adorable cage and so from then on I have been in love with hams.

Note: Sorry for the EXTREMELY LONG post but this was one of the best things that ever happened in my life so I kept on typing. And don't worry even though I didn't research on Hamsters my oldest brother taught me how to take care of a hamster since he owned one before I was born.

Edited by Katara, 29 December 2010 - 02:52 AM.

#10 yamashitamasita

yamashitamasita

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:25 AM

I had 2 Syrians between 2002 and 2006. :hamster5: Always had to go on an empty stomach just so I could buy their monthly supplies of food and bedding since I was a schoolgirl with paltry allowance and no parental support on pets.

Showered them with love nevertheless and when they finally passed on due to old age, I was "banned" from keeping anymore hamsters cause my parents couldn't bear to see me so deeply affected by the loss.

Now that I'm staying away from home, I have recently returned to keeping hamsters. Currently blessed with 3 tame dwarf hamsters! :D

#11 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

I am so jealous of all of you... :sad:
I've never actually owned a hamster in my life... I've begged and pleaded for the last like 6 years when I first joined the site, but even now they won't cave. My mom's always said: "they stink, what if it escapes? You can't even make your own bed, what makes you think you can take care of a hamster?". :cheeky:
Yeah.

But an old friend of mine had a dwarf hamster that I used to love spending time with. I hamster-sat him for a week while she went on vacation, but that was the closest I've ever came to owning one. She inspired me to join the site, and learn about hamsters even though I haven't own one!

It's pretty sad that your parents won't let you get one... It's not like you're asking for a horse or a dog!
Although if your mom doesn't like rodents, I guess as long as you live in her house you have to deal with it... shame.
I hope you'll be able to have one someday.

#12 Jaybee

Jaybee

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

i really wanted a dwarf hamster when i was younger and living at home with my parents, but they had some weird rule where they wouldnt let me have any caged pets. when i moved out with my boyfriend, i got lonely because i was used to having pets around. we couldn't get cats or dogs, so i decided hamsters. i did some research and picked robos because they were soo cute. i didnt care if they would be hard to handle. we went to the store to see them in person and it was set in stone. they were far too adorable to pass up.

#13 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

I begged for a pet for ages and I finally got one 5 days ago... :)

#14 Momiji

Momiji

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

I've been wanting a hamster for 2-3 years and this year I decided to do more research on them. My mom had refused to give me a hamster since she doesn't like rodents since we used to live in a house where mice come often. I was never even afraid of mice as a child but more fascinated with them. So I had finally gotten my step-dad to support my decision on getting a hamster because I had told him I had done a lot of research. So we went to Petsmart and I picked the smallest out of the bunch. He was so cute and cuddled up with I was thinking was his brothers. They put him in the box, we took him home and I named him Momiji. I've had him for about a month now and it took me a month to fully tame him. He only bites when you wake him up too early. Other then that he's only bitten me twice. I feel like adopting 10 hamsters but for now I'm only allowed 1. I'll try getting another one once I have a job to pay for everything, I plan on getting one from a shelter or a breeder.

Here's the little guy who started it all: Momiji :lovestruck:
Posted Image

#15 Genevie

Genevie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:54 AM

My cousin (9 years my senior) bred syrians and possibly russians (I think, it's hard for me to remember) when I was really little. She got pregnant when she was 16, so she was probably an awful breeder too! She's always been an animal person though; she's had dozens of horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

So naturally, I got one from my cousin. I think I was about 4 - 6 years old. Her name was Candy and she was a biter haha. So I switched her for a male who I named Pepsi (to go with my nan's dog, Coco - like Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola!). Pepsi was a shorthair syrian, cinnamon (if I remember correctly) and he lived with me at my nan's house. Pepsi's colour went from cinnamon to cinnamon banded frequently over the years (no idea how many years that was), so I can only assume that he died and was replaced many times without me knowing :laughing: Pepsi(s) was a sweetie though, always calm and playful, I don't think he ever bit me.

After Pepsi died for good, I didn't get any more. I got two zebra finches, and had those until I started living with my mum full time.

Then recently, about a year ago, I suddenly decided I wanted another hamster. Probably because all my friends had them. After ages of trying to get the money, and LOTS of research, I got Olivia 4 months ago. And now I'm hooked :D I plan on getting one or two male Chinese at the beginning of 2011 (probably Feb) and possibly two or three Russians in the spring/summer. And I want to try a robo or two at some point! :)