Photo

Mazuri Lab Blocks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

I was thinking of getting this brand of lab blocks for my hamsters. Does anyone use them, and any reviews on this product made by mazuri?

Anyone who has used Mazuri hamster blocks, mazuri rodent pellets please say your experiences.

All inputs will be greatly appreciated.

The code for the products are 5E10 for hamster/gerbil, 5E09 and 5663 for rodent pellets.
I have compared the rodent pellets and hamster food, and they have very very similar nutritional content. The main ingredients are also almost simillar.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:41 AM

From what I know they are pretty good quality. However my hamsters didn't like the taste much and it was difficult, for me and my hams at least, to transition them from seed mix to lab block.

#3 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thats interesting, did not know hamsters do not really like them. However, i just got a large shipment, and i will have to wean them to a block diet.

Anyone else use it?

#4 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

I never fed my hamsters Mazuri lab blocks, however, when I had rats, I gave them Mazuri Lab blocks for rats. My ratties loved them. However, I heard of some rats hating them. I think it just varies from hamster to hamster. Some like them, some don't.

#5 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

I never fed my hamsters Mazuri lab blocks, however, when I had rats, I gave them Mazuri Lab blocks for rats. My ratties loved them. However, I heard of some rats hating them. I think it just varies from hamster to hamster. Some like them, some don't.

Actually, i keep rats too, and my rats are one greater reason why i got them, as i want them to have better nutrition. The entire shipment is not cheap, a 25lb cost Us$70 per pack, even when the sg dollar is so strong. Will you updated once i receive the shipment whether my hamsters like it or not. But thats dec.

#6 ~*Regina*~

~*Regina*~

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

I feed Mazuri lab blocks. My hamster loves them and will clean out the whole bowl no problem. I used a mix of Mazuri and Oxbow when I had my chinchilla too, awesome products.

#7 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

I'm adding these to my Hazel Hamster, as it's healthy. BUT it's been about a week or so since I got them, and neither of my WW's have 'warmed up' to them.

#8 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

^That's probably because you have a mix in there as well. If they aren't given options, they'll eventually eat the blocks, since that's the only thing they have to eat. :P

#9 WinterbellHamstery

WinterbellHamstery

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

I feed RMH 2000 lab blocks that a special order. They are higher quality and actually made for lab animals, but made by the same company. I have been feeding a block diet since 2001 or 2002 and swear by it. The hamster does not get the choice to be picky. I feed lab blocks as a main diet and then make my own seed mix that they get about 2 times a week. They also get fresh veg, fruit, eggs, tofu, a few times a week.

#10 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

I feed RMH 2000 lab blocks that a special order. They are higher quality and actually made for lab animals, but made by the same company. I have been feeding a block diet since 2001 or 2002 and swear by it. The hamster does not get the choice to be picky. I feed lab blocks as a main diet and then make my own seed mix that they get about 2 times a week. They also get fresh veg, fruit, eggs, tofu, a few times a week.

I suppose you feed 2000 as 3000 has ethoxyquin?

Might get 2000 next time.

#11 WinterbellHamstery

WinterbellHamstery

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Ooop. I made a mistake. I feed the 3000. The 2000 has less protein than the 3000 but quite a bit more fat. Wasn't liking the 2000 with the added fat. And I don't believe either have ethyoxyquin? But I have been feeding RMH since 2001 and there are other breeders I know have been using it just as long, if not longer. Do you have enough hamsters to go through 50lbs? Or someone to split it with. If not, the nutrient value will go down over time. You may want to portion it off and freeze some.

#12 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

Ooop. I made a mistake. I feed the 3000. The 2000 has less protein than the 3000 but quite a bit more fat. Wasn't liking the 2000 with the added fat. And I don't believe either have ethyoxyquin? But I have been feeding RMH since 2001 and there are other breeders I know have been using it just as long, if not longer. Do you have enough hamsters to go through 50lbs? Or someone to split it with. If not, the nutrient value will go down over time. You may want to portion it off and freeze some.

That's one problem I have taking the big 50lb(22kg) bag. I doubt my freezer has enough space too. I currently have around 15 dwarfs and 2 rats. But I think I am stuck with the mazuri blocks for sometime. Regarding ethyoxquin, rhm does not contain it, but they do contain BHA, which is suspected to be cancer causing. But i guess results are still not conclusive.

Edited by leexiongan, 30 September 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#13 WinterbellHamstery

WinterbellHamstery

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Wellm I swear by it. I send it home with all of my new ham owners, and most as for more. :)

#14 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Wellm I swear by it. I send it home with all of my new ham owners, and most as for more. :)

I heard and read that many people say that RHM 3000 is a very good food, maybe even better than mazuri. I would get it after my mazuri finishes.

#15 leexiongan

leexiongan

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

A last question, does anyone know how much food does a dwarf eat in lab blocks daily?

Could calculate how long my food could last.