Photo

Allergy woes...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikachewie

mikachewie

Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:25 AM

So I got my Hamsters about 5 days ago. Since I've gotten them I wake up every hour on the hour needing a breathing treatment. I'm doped up on Singulair, Benadryl, Medical Steroids, Zyrtec and Advair and I still cannot tame this problem.

Oi. I just seem to always have some problem with any animal that isn't a dog. @.@

The problem is is I refuse to give up my babies. This morning I put my cage in the living room in the corner and if I make it through the night fine then ... I don't know what more I can do.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can deal with these allergies? I just have to do something because I can't live like this. One day I will find a happy medium, one day.

#2 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

:hug: Oh boy, do I know what you are going through!

Do you have the space to keep the kiddos in a separate room? It helps me a bit, but I have to take a couple other precautions to make sure I don't stop breathing at night. :sweatdrop: For sleep time, I've found that this helps to get me through: a couple hours before going to bed, open the bedroom window and/or turn on the air purifier (if you have one) and close off the room. During the summer, I also sleep with the window open. It helps if you can air out your apartment as much as possible too. Whenever I come home from work, I throw all the windows open for a couple hours. Might be not-so-nice to do during the rainy and snowy season though.

Also, are you using aspen shavings? I find that they compound my hamster allergy issues. Back when I had just a couple hamsters, I used just Carefresh and it helped ease the symptoms somewhat. I can't really afford to do that right now though.

#3 mikachewie

mikachewie

Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

Ohmigosh! Thanks so much Rhapsody! :hug:

I will talk to my roommate and play the convincing game. I think definitely having them out of my bedroom would help significantly because they were right next to my bed.
I'll also make sure to keep the windows open! During the winter this probably wont be plausible because of the wind of the "windy city" (teehee) but we do have overhead fans and I can put the air purifier right next to their cage! I do own one, but it's in the corner and has been off because it started zzztsing.

I'm using this eco-bedding because I thought I was allergic to the carefresh ... but since I'm still having the same problem as I had with my last ham-ham I'm just going to go back to carefresh because the eco-bedding (literal name) doesn't absorb smell that well. :no:

Again, thank you so much for the suggestions! I will try them and see if it helps alleviate some of the symptoms!

#4 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

I think definitely having them out of my bedroom would help significantly because they were right next to my bed.

Yup, having them that close for 7+ hours would definitely give you more problems than normal. Hope your roomie won't mind them being moved to the living room. Back when the hubby was the boyfriend/roommate, he wasn't too keen on having my kiddos out in the "common area" either - he didn't want to have to deal with them, and was afraid their presence would impinge on his "living room activities" (ie. watching movies, etc.). However, hearing me gagging for air soon changed his mind. :cheeky:

#5 mikachewie

mikachewie

Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

It worked! Them not being in the room was fantastic. I slept ALL night. Oh god it was so goooooood. :mindblowing: I woke up a little short of breath still, but I'm going to stick the air purifier next to my bed and hopefully that will get rid of all that silly.

... HAPPY. Now how to convince my roommate they can stay in the living room :scratchchin: ..