Dwarf hamster ate rat poison
Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:27 AM
I have another dwarf living in the same cage. Right now they are both sleeping but should I separate the one that ate the poison? I don't want my other dwarf getting sick too.
Thank you for your help :/
Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:41 AM
Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:47 AM
Hopefully she can make it through.
Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:49 AM
HOWEVER, by the time we found my hamster, she had ingested quite a bit of poison. I'm not sure at what doses the poison becomes toxic, but your hammie might be okay if she only had a nibble. From what I understand, there's no antidote for rat poison (I'm assuming its main ingredient is Bromethalin), but typical symptoms of poisoning are seizures.
I'm hoping someone else here will be able to give you better advice - things might have changed for the better since 10 years ago.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:43 AM
if it's warfarin, you need to get lots of vitaminK into your
hamster. NOW. warfarin is an anti-coagulant. vitaminK
will build up the clotting action and counteract the poison.
warfarin is the most common poison i'm aware of for
Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:52 AM
Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:09 AM
Spinach, cabbage and broccoli are best for this. If your ham won't eat them, chop them up and drizzle them with olive oil. If she still won't, try blending into a smoothie with some strawberries and giving it to her with a syringe.
rabbit, thank you for adding the most important part of the answer
which i left out !
also, kale is another green high in vitaminK.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:18 AM
The spinach and brocoli all have vitamin k in them ?
I have her romain lettuce today since it's the only greens we have at the moment.
I noticed her discharge is green compared to my other dwarfs. I think it's because the poison was a green block since I don't think lettuce would change the color. I will go buy some broccoli right now.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:36 AM
Does the poison not come with any kind of label or packaging? Do you have any more of it around, or do your parents remember the name? Figuring out what kind of poison it is could be the single most important way to help your hamster, and it's something the vet will definitely need to know in order to do anything. The kale and broccoli will only work if it's an anticoagulant like warfarin - other kinds of poisons have different antidotes, and some have none at all. I Googled "green block rat poison" and got a few pictures. Does it look like this?
This is bromadiolone, a second-generation anticoagulant. This means it is more potent than warfarin. If you can get your ham to a vet he may give an injection of vitamin K1, which will help counteract the poison more quickly than kale. You can possibly obtain pure K1 yourself, but I've no idea how to dose this in a dwarf hamster. This type of poison also accumulates in the liver and kidneys (whereas regular warfarin is eventually excreted), so you may need to keep giving your little one supplemental vitamin K for a long time.
"Luckily," these poisons are not designed to take effect until a day or so after ingestion. This is so a rodent won't take a small bite, realize it is getting sick, and fail to eat the rest of the bait. However, dwarf hamsters are much smaller than rats, and you might start seeing symptoms much earlier. Have you noticed any behavioral changes yet? You may still have time to save your hamster if you act quickly.
Also, I've read that hamsters sometimes consume their own poo in order to absorb nutrients they didn't get the first time. I don't know how this works when multiple hams share one cage - if they only consume their own or also others. You should consider separating your hamsters for now in case any of the poison comes out in the poo and is eaten by the healthy one.
EDIT: Just read this on Wikipedia, sounds interesting.
Sometimes, anticoagulant rodenticides are potentiated by an antibiotic or bacteriostatic agent, most commonly sulfaquinoxaline. The aim of this association is that the antibiotic suppresses intestinal symbiotic microflora, which are a source of vitamin K. Diminished production of vitamin K by the intestinal microflora contributes to the action of anticoagulants. Added vitamin D also has a synergistic effect with anticoagulants.
While I take most things on Wikipedia with a grain of salt, I don't think it would hurt to offer your hamster a bit of plain yogurt. This will nourish the beneficial bacteria in her digestive tract that these antibiotics would target.
Edited by Rabbit, 25 August 2010 - 09:51 AM.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:53 AM
The brand is tomcat according to the pictures.
I just got back from the grocery store and bought some broccoli. She did not eat it so I think I'll do what you suggested regarding the olive oil. I looked for kale but wasn't able to find any.
I haven't noticed any behavioral changes. She has always been very energetic compared to my other hamster. She continues to run around in her wheel while the other just sits around being lazy.
In about an hour or so it will have been a full 24 hours since she consumed the poison.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:54 AM
Edited by Yukionna, 25 August 2010 - 10:00 AM.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:17 AM
Tomcat offers a poison control hotline that you can call if your pet accidentally ingests it. I suspect they won't be able to tell you anything more than "go to a vet," but if you'd like to give it a try - 1-877-854-2494.
Furthermore, their website states that a rodent will usually die in 4-5 days after consuming a lethal dose. Dwarves are so small that this may be shortened, but hopefully you caught it in time to make a difference. If you can get to the grocery again, I'd consider getting spinach and kale as well. Maybe she will like one of those better - and if she doesn't, well, you get more vegetables to eat. Your parents should approve of that. Kale is found with lettuce and spinach - it comes in large leaves.
Edited by Rabbit, 25 August 2010 - 10:22 AM.
Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:43 AM
Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:47 AM
Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:12 AM