Photo

How to trim their teeth?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 GTE

GTE

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hello, I have two female gerbils :), a black and white one called Milkyway plus a tan and white called Cinnamon. they are sisters and both a little under two years old. I was searching on how to trim my gerbil's teeth and I found this forum full of hamster info. seeing that they are similar rodents with same teeth... can someone please help me on this issue?

what happened was that I've noticed Milkyway having trouble eating seeds, so I checked her teeth (I check them regularly). I found that one upper is missing, and that the other upper and the two lower are growing longer than usual... it seems she has trouble keeping them trimmed herself (I checked Cinnamon's teeth and they look fine). At the root of Milkyway's missing tooth... I saw a small white bit of teeth which means that it seems to be growing back, and I think I have to keep the other three teeth trimmed until they all grow back to the same length... however I have never done this before. I had previously taken Cinnamon to a vet for checkup on her tumor (I was told it was benign), but my point is that the checkup alone cost me $80+..... which I won't be able to afford again. for now I have given Milkyway some grinned seed mix, fresh corn and banana so on because she has trouble chewing.

if anyone has any experience on trimming their teeth, I would really appreciate any and all advice.... I have been reading some info and believe I need to use a nail clipper (the ones that look like wire clippers with handles because they are stronger and has more precision?). Milkyway is generally pretty calm and steady so I do have some confidence... but it would be great if someone could give me some details on the exact how....

Please help me... and thank you very much for reading this

#2 winternite

winternite

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

my frenz told me the vet here using the following to trim her hamster's teeth:

Posted Image

as for how to i am not very sure cos i never see how the vet done before sorry.. :no:

maybe you try to call your vet and check with them if only teeth trimming how much will it cost..??

#3 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

I was able to successfully trim a bottom tooth with just regular nail clippers. They are a bit bulky, however, and its tricky to get everything positioned just right to avoid cutting the tongue and lip. For an upper tooth, I'd highly recommend using something with more precision since you have a lot less room for error.

Scruffing your gerbil would be the best way to immobilize her and also expose her teeth. However, you might want to have an extra pair of hands to help you.

#4 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

I was able to successfully trim a bottom tooth with just regular nail clippers. They are a bit bulky, however, and its tricky to get everything positioned just right to avoid cutting the tongue and lip. For an upper tooth, I'd highly recommend using something with more precision since you have a lot less room for error.

Scruffing your gerbil would be the best way to immobilize her and also expose her teeth. However, you might want to have an extra pair of hands to help you.

I was told to get a pair of small animal nail clippers with the rounded blades that form an O. I had some success using those, but they were still bulky, and I nipped Fuzz's tongue once. After that scary experience I let the vet do all the trimmings.

If you want to do it yourself a very tight scruff is a must. One should scruff, and another should cut.