Photo

Is pork bad for you?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

Okay, first of all I want to say this is not intended to offend any Muslims, vegetarians, or other people who avoid pork for any reason. I'm just confused!

So I was reading about pork (because someone mentioned it in a thread that pork can be bad for hamsters, so I started reading and wondered if it was bad for humans too), apparently some people claim it is bad for you.
I first googled "eating pork", and indeed a lot of results were talking about how pork is terrible for you. But all of them had one thing in common, they all talked about how God said to the Muslims not to eat pork, or something along those lines. So next I tried "eating pork is bad -muslim -god -bible" (the - in front of a word makes it so that only results not containing those words show up)...and nothing else talks about the 'terrors' of eating pig.
I went back to one of the other articles and noticed they had their facts wrong. One, pigs don't roll around in their poop voluntarily. The conditions most are housed in leave them with no choice. Two, just because they roll in mud doesn't mean they're filthy creatures. They do it to cool off and contrary to popular belief, mud and dirt is NOT as dirty and disgusting as most people make it to be (there are even articles talking about how eating dirt can be good for you but that's for another story). Three, because pigs are scavengers apparently their diet makes them bad to eat. Man, I should stop eating mushrooms too then, those rotting-vegetation-eating fools. Four, apparently when you cook pig meat, bacteria and parasites and their eggs in pork don't die? Oh sorry I must have missed the whole point of what cooking meat is for, I didn't realize we only cooked meat because we like to play with fire.

I mean, I don't know whether to believe this or not...:rolleyes: Can anyone help? Should I be avoiding pork or are these all just myths?

#2 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

ewwww...maybe i should stop eating pork...

#3 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

I think you're missing the point CHG. :/

Besides the usual 'proper vegan/ vegetarian' diets are healthier for you, I think as long as you are keeping a balanced diet and not overdoing pork-eating then it is ok. I haven't heard anything about pork being bad for you and if it was I feel that my science teacher would have found it fun to tell us if it was, if only to bother us. It sounds (based on your research, I'm too lazy) like people are making excuses or drawing from false facts it say that pork is bad.

#4 rehka

rehka

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

To the best of my knowledge only raw/ under cooked pork is bad for you, as it can potentially contain the eggs of liver flukes(a parasite)which have a nasty life cycle, that completes in the human body. Totally gross. They DO get destroyed when properly cooked. Other than that, and perhaps the fat content, (which isn't really bad for you, per say, you do need SOME dietary fats to be healthy, so its only bad if you over do it) theres nothing inherently wrong with eating pork.

#5 Furkies

Furkies

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Killing of parasites on porks can be easily done with freezing it up to 72 hours in the fridge :)

#6 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

I think pork is avoided in hamsters due to it being fattier than most other meats, I don't think a little bit would hurt but again moderation. ;)

#7 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hehe, ok just to clear a few things up.

In the Old Testament, God told the Jews not to eat certain things (one of them being pork) due to the fact the animals were considered unclean and God was trying to protect them from certain diseases and such. Pigs ARE an unclean animal, most of the time, and are fed all sorts of nasty foods that we humans would never dream of eating. The same goes for crustaceans such as shrimp and lobster, as they are scavengers and eat rotting carcasses, etc.

In the New Testament, Peter had a vision and God told him that the old "law" was gone and that they were free to eat anything they wish. Some Orthodox Jews still, to this day, follow the old law of not eating certain meats as well as eating Kosher food. (Meat can not be mixed with dairy EVER.)

With all that said, yes pork is considered an "unclean" meat, in comparison to fish or chicken. However, everything in moderation is fine. To have pork a few times a year (or shrimp or whatever) is perfectly fine, though I wouldn't recommend it to be your main source of protein. Just like every other food, no one particular thing is "bad", it's more-so how often you have it. :)

EDIT: I edited my original mistake of saying "Paul" when it was "Peter". :)

Edited by HoppingHammy, 11 August 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#8 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

Actually is was Jesus with the Sermon on the Mount that cleared up the 'no pork' law. At this time however they were starting to learn that cooking meat was important and the majority of people were cooking their meat at this point where as prior to that a lot of meat was eaten raw or not properly cooked. ;)

#9 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

Actually is was Jesus with the Sermon on the Mount that cleared up the 'no pork' law.

Sorry to disagree, but Jesus never had a sermon about the pork law.

I apologize for making the mistake of saying "Paul" in my first post, when it was Peter. :) At least I knew it started with a "P".

From Acts 10:9-16

The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.” And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

^That was the first time mentioned, in the Bible, about doing away with the old law and allowing the Jews to eat whatever they wish, as they were no longer under the old law. :)

#10 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

At the Sermon of the Mount Jesus mentioned not following the majority of the laws from the Leviticus (I may have that name wrong it's been so long since I learned about the Old Testament). It may not have specifically said the eating of split-hooved animals but it was indicated there that the Beatitudes were more important than some of Moses's laws. At this point some of his followers became concerned about breaking such sacred laws and many doubted his words. It's what I learned in religion class at least.

But what ever way it is, pork was not eaten due to the law in the Torah/Bible and was made law due to many people falling ill or dying after eating pork. Now a days as long as kept moderate and cooked properly pork is not unhealthy.

#11 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

This went from pork being bad for hammies to the bible???? Lets get back on track...

#12 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

We are on track! :) We're discussing where the "pork is bad for you" theory came from. lol.

#13 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

My gosh. (No pun intended hahahahaha.) You guys know so much about the bible, way more than me! @_@ I'm barely following this conversation, LOL.

#14 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

I went to a Catholic high school and Religion was mandatory in order to graduate, it was an easy glass to use to get my average up. :P

#15 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Lol Plushie! :laughing: I guess your question has been answered now?......It's probably more then you bargained for. :tongue: