Photo

How do you lower ketone levels?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 sunshine76

sunshine76

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

Well, I must say the fenugreek SEEDS are definitely working! Yaaay! But...even though Gizmo has no sugar in his urine whatsoever, his ketones are off the charts! How does this happen? I have read WHAT keytones are but I can't seem to find anything on how to lower them when they are high except to give unflavored pedialyte so they don't get dehydrated. It is my understanding that when there isn't enough carbohydrates that supply the body to burn as sugar then we start to burn fat and the ketones are made. If that's the case Gizmo doesn't have very much fat to burn (he's lost a lot of weight with the diabetes). So how do I lower the ketones but still keep his sugar down? Do I give less fenugreek? I've been giving him about 11 per day (6 in the a.m. and 4 in the p.m.) and his sugar level is now 0. Do I stick with the same amount of fenugreek and give him more whole wheat carbs? I just don't want his sugars to go up again and when I tried the whole grain pasta a while back, that's what happened. It was a small piece of spaghetti noodle but maybe it was still too much. Any of you that are knowledgeable with diabetes...I need your help! Thank you!!

#2 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,774 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

i'll direct yukonna to this thread because she has actual experience with
the fenugreek seeds. but: when i use the glipizide on my dwarfs, after
the first couple of dosings, their glucose typically drops quickly, while
there is a sudden spike in their ketones.

i'm wondering if this is the same thing happening here? just the body's
way of adjusting? ketones are proteins in the urine~~ when people eat
a high-protein, low-carb diet, they too will have ketones in their urine.
how this translates into what's happening to your hamster now, i can't
explain. but, if it's the same thing as when it happens to my dwarfs
using glipizide, it's just temporary, and a very positive sign!

#3 sunshine76

sunshine76

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks missPixy! I hope you're right!

#4 Yukionna

Yukionna

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:34 AM

Yea, at first it might go up. How is the hamster acting? is really the important question here. Because their behavior is really a good sign of how they're feeling. If the ketones are high I would suggest giving a pinch of dry oatmeal both night and day and to feed him broccoli once a day. This will get a good amount of water into him and the oatmeal and broccoli fiber will help as well. If you haven't already you might want to move the water bottle closer to the house, I put mine right next door so that my hamster can crawl out of bed and get water if she wants it. Let me know how it goes.

#5 sunshine76

sunshine76

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

Thanks you! He's acting the same as usual so he must be feeling pretty good. I have been giving him some oatmeal every night but not in the morning too so I'll start doing both. I will also increase the broccoli to every day and see what happens. Thanks again!

#6 Yukionna

Yukionna

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

Yea, just from experience broccoli seemed to make Yuki feel a lot better. Also, you said you use small dog biscuits yes? Those are really good too. But, I think that it might just take a while to even out really.