Photo

PETCO Hamster Ball Derby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 artchic528

artchic528

Rookie Hamster

• Banned
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:57 AM

PETCO is having their semi-annual Hamster Ball Derby in a week and a half and I was wondering if it was a good idea for Chloe, my Syrian, and I to participate. I have red mixed reviews about it on here. Is it cruel or just something fun to do with your hamster/mouse/gerbil/rat?

Secondly, I was wondering about the prizes being awarded. The prizes this time are: First Place: Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Small Animal Starter Kit, Second Place: Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Healthy Bit Treats, Third Place: Super Pet Combo Chew. Are they any good?

#2 LeslieMarie

LeslieMarie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:31 AM

These type of events scare me for the fact that anyone can bring in their pets. I'm always too scared of diseases being passed to my own pets, whether airborne or not. I personally wouldn't attend it myself. I say if you do, be very very careful.

I myself can;t even come home from a pet store without first changing my cloths and having a shower out of fear of bringing home a disease to my little guys. But then again, that just may be me being way too paranoid after owning rats who can get airborn diseases extremely easy. haha

#3 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hehe, I was at PetCo last week when I saw their table advertising the Hamster Ball Derby ... and I went "SQUEEEEEEEEE" (much to the embarrassment of my poor boyfriend). He "helpfully" pointed out that the average age of the kids pictured in the advert were around 10 years old ... and I'm 25 ... Humph, you're never too old to have fun with hammies. :hissyfit:

That aside, I won't be participating although it sounds like fun. Six of my kids are dwarfs, and I'd be afraid they'd get loose and lost. And my two syrian girls do not like being awake during daylight hours. Making them participate would definitely stress them (and me) out.

If your Chloe doesn't mind being awake during the day, and she's an easygoing hammie, it might be fun for the both of you.

As for the prizes, I'm not a huge fan of the Kaytee brand since their food contains way too much sugar for my dwarfs. It should be fine for your syrian though. And you might get some cool toys if you win first place.

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hmm, your Syrian may not enjoy it much, because the environment may be noisy (I think people scream a lot for their hamsters LOL), and since it will have a lot of other Syrians, they *may* be stressed.

And, to be honest, those aren't ever about hamsters racing, it's more for the enjoyment of the owners themselves. Hamsters don't run for a goal or reward, they run because it's good exercise and in the wild they will run miles a day to search for food.

And Kaytee, some people like to use it but personally I avoid their food like the plague! They (along with Nutriphase) contain ethoxyquin, a preservative, which--it's debatable--can cause cancer in small animals. Also, their food is low quality in general, at least in my experience with it, and contains A LOT of sunflower seeds and corn. Kaytee says they have removed ethoxyquin from their ingredients (well, on the bird forum I go to, at least haha), but they use other preservatives which are just as bad, such as glycerin (soap?!), and another preservative which can cause liver problems I think. I'll need to pull out the link again some time.

There's nothing terrible that will kill your hamster if you go :P So if you want to, sure :)

Edited by Plushie, 14 April 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#5 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

And Kaytee, some people like to use it but personally I avoid their food like the plague! They (along with Nutriphase) contain ethoxyquin, a preservative, which--it's debatable--can cause cancer in small animals. Also, their food is low quality in general, at least in my experience with it, and contains A LOT of sunflower seeds and corn. Kaytee says they have removed ethoxyquin from their ingredients (well, on the bird forum I go to, at least haha), but they use other preservatives which are just as bad, such as glycerin (soap?!), and another preservative which can cause liver problems I think. I'll need to pull out the link again some time.

HAH! Now I remember why I didn't bother with Kaytee in the first place - I knew it wasn't just because of the sugar. I recall seeing ethoxyquin as one of their ingredients a couple years back, but when I looked at the ingredient list an hour ago, it didn't mention that preservative ... Interesting ...

#6 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

I made a thread in the Food and Nutrition board about Kaytee, I'm not sure how true it is though xD

Lol, I bet if I were a hamster and I ate Kaytee, I'd be bouncing off the walls with sugar, but then I'd be obese too, which frankly doesn't make any sense haha. I would literally be sitting for an hour or two a day just picking out sunflower seeds from the mix xDDD When I finished, I had about enough to fill 3/4 of a water bottle, more or less.

Edited by Plushie, 14 April 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Spot

Spot

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

XD good luck with the race~~~~

#8 ipaige

ipaige

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

Too much stress, and plus there is ignorant hamster owners there. I heard that one little kid was bouncing his hamster while he was in his ball. And the parents were laughing. Tsk, tsk. It just makes me sad. :crybuckets:

Edited by ipaige, 24 April 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#9 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hehe, the vet receptionist told me that their clinic's tripod hammie won 2nd place at the local PetCo derby today!

#10 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

I am just glad that there are no PetCo's in Canada for this reason alone

Personally I think it is cruel. Sorry guys. But waking up a hamster during the day to take it to a loud and stressful pet store just to run in a straight line for human enjoyment seems kind of sick to me. Besides you would be bringing your hamsters to a place with many other small animals that could pass harmful illnesses to your hamster (such as the Sendai Virus). It seems far too risky to me.

Just because they supply food, treats and water does not ease the stress, keep the noise down or keep the viruses away.

It's something that I would skip over with out a doubt if it was held in Canada.

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 01 May 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#11 Guss

Guss

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

I live in England so I couldn't participate :| At first, I thought it sounded great. But from what you guys over in America know, it's put me off.
Chloe may SEEM laidback, but that's in her own surroundings and smells. And when those people SCREAM their heads off for their poor, clueless hamster to go faster, I would not be surprised if it became deaf or had a heart attack. And yes, it is possible for diseases to be transmitted but it is unlikely as they will be in a ball. If I were you, I would go watch the race this year, then decide, just so you can learn how things go at the race. If you do go, good luck! =)

#12 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

Air needs to flow into the ball or else they suffocate. Besides you can't leave them in the ball the entire time, that's just cruel. You need a travel cage of some sort.