Photo

My hamster bites the cage...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 jazzy_lynn

jazzy_lynn

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

My hamster bites the cage is it ok? And it's quite annoying, too. I got woodblock in her cage but she doesn't seem to like it. Will it be ok for her to bite the metal bar of the cage?? What should I do? Help!

#2 Rosie_rose

Rosie_rose

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:31 AM

they do this because they are bored.

try adding more toys, like boxes (tissue boxes minus the plastic stuff on it) snack boxes, milkbone dog treats, greenies. paper towel tubes or TP tubes. anything cardboard is okay, because they will tear it up and its perfectly okay for them to do this :) plus, they use the shreaded stuff for bedding.

also, ive read on here that people use apple bitter? to put on the bars to stop them from chewing.

#3 Mitzy

Mitzy

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

How big is the cage? If it's too small for the hammy it'll be desperate to find a way out, trying to chew its way out.

It's not OK for them to bite the bars, it might break/damage their teeth and hurt their mouth/nose.

When my hammy was in a small cage (I bought it with her and didn't know better) she would not stop gnawing on the bars. I moved her to her new big bin cage and she was much happier. She had lots of chew stuff too, sticks, wood, etc, and won't stop until she got moved to the bin.

Apple Bitter is OK for short term solution, but if the hammy is bored/don't have chews it won't solve the problem.

BTW you can try milkbones/greenies for chews. My hammy won't touch the wood block stuff either.

#4 aye

aye

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

my hamster does that too even though his cage is big.. in fact, he has 2 cage which are connected by loops..
he also have 1 wheel, tissue tube, a log where he plays, and a chew stick..
i think its just their nature to escape.. :cheeky:

#5 jazzy_lynn

jazzy_lynn

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

I think the cage is big enough for her. I just got her some chew block and mineral block thing hope her start biting that instead! And I will add more toys too
thanks

#6 xoxshelbyxox

xoxshelbyxox

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

My hams Oreo and Timmy (well he's not exactly mine) chew on the bars too, and I considered buying new chew toys for them. I hope it works *crosses fingers**!

#7 Yukionna

Yukionna

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

I think the rule of thumb for cages is that it has to be at least twice the size of a 10 gallon fish tank. So double the floor size and the width and you're looking at what you need. Bigger than this is always better. If the play area isn't bigger than this, your hamster will chew on the cage to try to escape, it will no matter what kind of chewie you put in there. My hamster did this ceaselessly to her fish tank. You can very cheaply obtain a bin for under 10 dollars at walmart and they make a good, easy to clean, customizable, and fun environment for your hammy to play in. They can chew through these of course. (Though I've never had problems with my own hamster doing this personally) but just need to keep them entertained and make sure they have enough space.

#8 Hamstr-lvr

Hamstr-lvr

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:25 AM

You should try using lemon. Rub lemon all over the wire bars. It helped my hamster.

#9 hamsterlover294

hamsterlover294

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

My hamster bites the cage is it ok? And it's quite annoying, too. I got woodblock in her cage but she doesn't seem to like it. Will it be ok for her to bite the metal bar of the cage?? What should I do? Help!

As a hamster owner, and what I can call retired breeder (4 accidental litters, long story) I have owned over 50 hamsters in my lifetime. No matter how big I would make the cages they would always bite the bars. It's quite normal actually because they are filing down their teeth. If they don't like any wood or they don't chew on anything else their teeth can get very long and grow into their pallet with can be very dangerous and deadly. If it gets annoying just try and put her somewhere else but if the bars are painted, than you might want to try and stop her because it can be very dangerous to swallow paint. Also if you see she is literally chewing the bar and breaking it you definitely should stop her because the pieces can be deadly if swallowed.

Try putting some lemon on her bars or anything else others suggested. Be sure it's safe whatever you choose and if nothing works maybe a new cage would work but I wouldn't think you should go out and spend 60$ on a new cage because of that unless your hamster does some of the things I've said above.

Anyways good luck!!

#10 leYUPPIE

leYUPPIE

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:54 AM

Or maybe use a tank? It'll solve the rusting and biting problems :)