Photo

Petco and Syrian Hamsters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#31 Hamster Slave

Hamster Slave

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

I bought my hamster from a bad pet store (found better one) and the hamsters were caged together and the hamster I bought had a lot of bites and her ear was bitten. My friend was telling me to return her but I didn't so I basically saved her life (luckily she wasn't pregnant.)

#32 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

They're a business :undecided: The business world isn't always ethical. When I got Poptart she was in a tank with at least 10 other syrians. Most of them were extremely young (smaller than the baby dwarfs they had there; eyes barely opened) they also didn't have a wheel or a house. They were all in a pile in the corner to stay warm. Well except Poptart, she was sleeping in the food bowl. :valentine: They also didn't separate genders. Luckily Poptart is as healthy as a horse and is gaining weight like crazy and has the softest, silkiest, and shiniest fur I've ever seen on anything. :goodvibes:

#33 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

I bought my hamster from a bad pet store (found better one) and the hamsters were caged together and the hamster I bought had a lot of bites and her ear was bitten. My friend was telling me to return her but I didn't so I basically saved her life (luckily she wasn't pregnant.)

When buying from a pet store it isn't considered adopting or saving. It's called a sympathy purchase. While on an individual level you did a good thing for this hamster, on the larger scale you only supported the pet store and the mill that supplies their animals. By purchasing her out of sympathy you told the pet store that it's ok to do what they do. It isn't fair to animals that are already there, I understand that, but for future animals, not supporting pet stores is the best way to go. I am sure your hamster is quite thankful for getting out of the situation though. ;)

#34 Hamster Slave

Hamster Slave

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

They're a business :undecided: The business world isn't always ethical. When I got Poptart she was in a tank with at least 10 other syrians. Most of them were extremely young (smaller than the baby dwarfs they had there; eyes barely opened) they also didn't have a wheel or a house. They were all in a pile in the corner to stay warm. Well except Poptart, she was sleeping in the food bowl. :valentine: They also didn't separate genders. Luckily Poptart is as healthy as a horse and is gaining weight like crazy and has the softest, silkiest, and shiniest fur I've ever seen on anything. :goodvibes:

Yeah I saw my hamster with like 5 other ones and while I was there some started to fight each other and the owners didn't care at all.

When buying from a pet store it isn't considered adopting or saving. It's called a sympathy purchase. While on an individual level you did a good thing for this hamster, on the larger scale you only supported the pet store and the mill that supplies their animals. By purchasing her out of sympathy you told the pet store that it's ok to do what they do. It isn't fair to animals that are already there, I understand that, but for future animals, not supporting pet stores is the best way to go. I am sure your hamster is quite thankful for getting out of the situation though. ;)

Next time I'll try to adopt a hamster :)

#35 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

I bought my hamster from a small owned pet store; they keep the syrians separated them when they get to a certain age and they keep them happy as well healthy. Now for a chain place Petsmart keeps all their hamsters separated from the others and the hamsters look very healthy; would I buy a hamster from Petsmart? No, I'll continue to buy from the small owned pet store because I know what hamster I'm getting and they are the sweetest hamsters :goodvibes: :hamster4: :hug:.

#36 Chibihamster

Chibihamster

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

What people fail to understand if that these animals are there temporarily. It is NOT a permanent home so being in a tank for a few days isnt terrible. These hamsters are really young so they do not spend much time together as stated at pet stores. I have seen older hamsters be put by themselves often but it's rare for hamster to grow old at petco since they're so popular.

Edited by Chibihamster, 05 March 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#37 Genevie

Genevie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

What people fail to understand if that these animals are there temporarily. It is NOT a permanent home so being in a tank for a few days isnt terrible. These hamsters are really young so they do not spend much time together as stated at pet stores. I have seen older hamsters be put by themselves often but it's rare for hamster to grow old at petco since they're so popular.

I still don't think that makes it entirely acceptable. I have plans to one day own a pet shop in the future, and temporary or not, I want them to have good quality housing and care. I think where animals are involved, certain aspects of business need to be put aside so their needs can be focused on. They are living creatures, after all.

#38 Jani

Jani

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I agree with what Christmas hamsters saying, but the hamsters in the pet shops need to be bought or something. In the long run stopping pet stores using hamster mills/farns will hugely benefit hamsters in the future. But the hamsters in the stores need homes aswell.

#39 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Noone seems to have picked up that the enclosure is labelled "European Hamster". European Hamsters are completely different species (breeds, types, flavours, whatever) to Syrians.

European Hamster (Cricetus Cricetus)

Posted Image
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hamster

Golden Hamster (AKA Syrian) (Mesocricetus Auratus)

Posted Image
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hamster

#40 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

When I bought Shelly, Our local Petco had her in her very own glass cage-thing. It was on the top half, and there was glass between her and the cinnamon short haired Syrian. The dwarfs, however, were kept together. I love how a small town Petco is much better (all aspects) than a big city Petco...Posted Image

#41 LittleKiwiHamster

LittleKiwiHamster

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Most commercial pet stores keep their syrians together... I know of a few privately owned pet stores that know better (I shop there more <<). One local pet store here keeps fully grown syrians together in groups of six inside ten gallon tanks. I hate that place. :( They're always fighting and have wounds on them.

#42 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

I've recently been to a Petco both to look for dog food and those puzzle playgrounds; when I was there this Petco near my house just looked sad and depressing; all the hamsters/rodent pets looked depressed. Their bunnies didn't have the same vibe the bunnies at the small owned pet shop have; the place just seemed like a sad world of misery there and the people at the store couldn't even tell the difference between long haired/short haired hamsters. Also, they didn't answer my question properly when I asked if the critter bath that I was buying can hold a Syrian hamster; I've gotten better help from a hobo than this place; I won't be returning to that Petco anytime soon.

Edited by ElyseandSerenity, 15 May 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#43 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Aww..... ='( I dropped by a pet shop to check out their hamsters, and I found one guinea pig housed in a 10 gallon aquarium with 3 bunnies! I know it's not related to hamsters, but I just wanted to share this terrible news with everyone. ='(

#44 HannahsHammys

HannahsHammys

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

This whole issue saddens me completely. In a local pet store they keep about 6 syrians together with one small food bowl, 10 gallon tank no toys, no wheel and one bottle of water. There was a tiny hideout which was chewed horribly and it's just shocking. I don't know how these stores are able to continue to do this, they make out they care for the animals, but they only care for the money :/

#45 CollegeHam

CollegeHam

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

It really frustrates me that such ignorant people can be hired at places such as Petsmart and Petco. I've applied to Petsmart 3 times, but they always look over my application, and hire people who have no idea what they're doing.Posted Image