Photo

Constant Scratching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 StarrySora

StarrySora

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

I see Yuki scratching (at himself) quite a bit (my step-sister's hamster Kel does the same thing, and they were from the same litter it looks like). Sora (the syrian) doesn't scratch nearly as much as Yuki and Kel do. Because Yuki is such an adventurer, it is nearly impossible to check him for mites (although the one spot I looked at I didn't see anything, nor could I feel anything through his fur). He's very active, but it looks like nearly every time I look at him he's scratching. There is no fur loss. Is this a dwarf thing or could something be wrong with him (I just added a sandbox yesterday for him, but the scratching problem has been going on for a while)? He and Kel are both using aspen (Yuki doesn't like Crittercare or Carefresh and won't go near it) btw and they are both using their back paws to scratch.

Note: I tried to look at Yuki again for mites, this time trying a trick I read on a webpage about rubbing the hamster gently with a paper towel to see if anything comes up, but I guess Yuki didn't like this idea or he assumed that the soap I used in the bathroom smelled good enough to eat (probably both) and ended up biting me for the first time. This hamster is rather quick and very hard to check for anything. If you guys have any ideas on how to check for mites without Yuki trying to escape while I check I'm all ears.

Edited by StarrySora, 28 July 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#2 Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

If he uses the sandbox, I think there's a good chance that mites could be in there, if there are any.

#3 hamstermomma

hamstermomma

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

If you think the sand has mites, then you can sterelize it. (This usually only has to be done with children's play sand that is being used for hamsters, since sand from a pet store is mite free). To sterelize play sand: Put it in a shallow baking pan in the oven, and bake it for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees Celcius. Make sure it is cool before giving it to the hams.

I actually make a post just like yours about a month ago. I noticed that my ham was scratching a lot. Every one told me that it is normal for hams to scratch a lot. As long as there is no fur loss, scaly patches or mites, it's normal. Keep an eye on them and make sure they are eating, drinking, peeing/pooping, and acting like normal. Other than that, it's pretty normal for them to scratch... mind does it all the time. She runs a little, scratches, eats, scratches, drinks, scratches... it's funny.

Hope this helps. :)

#4 StarrySora

StarrySora

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

I just put the sand in Sunday and Yuki was doing this way before the sand, like since I got him. It just seems that every time I turn around to look at him he's either asleep or scratching (even Sora is more active than him and Sora's extremely lazy). The only time he ever uses his wheel is when he's chewing on it (because I guess he's bored with the chew sticks in his thing). Then again I could be asleep when he's awake in his wheel, but I never see him do anything other than sleep and scratch (with the occasional sand bat, but then again he could just be bored because his cage is rather small compared to Sora's cage until I can afford to upgrade it). The sand is already sterilized btw :P.

Edited by StarrySora, 29 July 2009 - 06:53 AM.

#5 Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

I meant that if he uses sand, you will be able to see mites or other bugs if he has any. Not that the sand gave him mites, but that they'd be an easy way to find them.

#6 Lemonadenoi

Lemonadenoi

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

I notice my hamster also scratch a lot (using her back paws). I'm so worried, I bring her to vet and according to the vet, there are no mites.
After reading this thread, maybe she just too boring coz I put her inside a small cage. *sigh*

#7 MisterHamilton

MisterHamilton

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hes probably just cleaning himself...mister hamilton does that too but it could be from peeing on himself or something like that and his fur is a little messed up, after all hamsters dont have elbows to scratch the back of their heads :)

#8 souffle

souffle

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hamsters really do groom a lot. They have very think dense coats which need a lot of attention and they also spread their scent around by rubbing it on their fur. You may notice after you handle a hamster it will almost always wash and groom. This is to wash off your scent and also respread their own. Mites are really not very common. The normally attack when a hamsters immune system is low and it usually has another illness. Healthy hamsters seldom get mites. I would not worry too much unless the skin is red or sore looking or there is a lot of fur loss or scabs and bites on the hamster. You can always use your ingenuity and create some toys at no cost to keep him busy using boxes and tubes. Make sure he is an easy moving, large enough wheel as they do need to run/

#9 StarrySora

StarrySora

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:59 AM

Hamsters really do groom a lot. They have very think dense coats which need a lot of attention and they also spread their scent around by rubbing it on their fur. You may notice after you handle a hamster it will almost always wash and groom. This is to wash off your scent and also respread their own. Mites are really not very common. The normally attack when a hamsters immune system is low and it usually has another illness. Healthy hamsters seldom get mites. I would not worry too much unless the skin is red or sore looking or there is a lot of fur loss or scabs and bites on the hamster. You can always use your ingenuity and create some toys at no cost to keep him busy using boxes and tubes. Make sure he is an easy moving, large enough wheel as they do need to run/

I had just noticed that he was scratching way more than Sora, but it could be that Sora is too lazy to clean herself half of the time (yes she really is that lazy). Yuki has a large enough wheel and so many toys that I have to remove some from his cage so he can move around (hence why I think his cage is a tad bit small). The reason I thought mites were the problem is that I read somewhere here that when they scratch themselves with their back legs it's possibly mites and when they use their front paws they're usually grooming themselves.

@Cyborg Ninja: Ah I understand now.

#10 Whisper<3

Whisper<3

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:47 AM

My hamster scratches her fur by flipping on her back and rubbing her skin against the bedding. Her skin is red and irritated. I don't know if it is allergies or mites. I assume it is mites so I am going to the pet store to get mite solution. They only have bird mite stuff so I am getting that for her. I heard it is safe for them. Maybe you should try picking up some of that. Thr itching is so annoying! She does it all the time. Either go to the vet, or pick up the bird mite stuff.