2. Age of hamster? Not sure, but she's at least a year old.
3. Bedding used? Aspen (which has no aromatic oils), but changed to Carefresh since tonight as a precautionary measure.
4. What kind of food do you feed? Oxbow Regal Rat mixed with Oxbow Healthy Handfuls.
5. What type of cage are they in? a 2-storey Crittertrail.
6. Has there been any recent cleaning with chemicals or air fresheners near the hamster cage? Yes, but I only use plant-based cleaning products.
7. How often do you clean the cage and how? Spot cleaning every week, entire cage once every 2 weeks (I take the cage apart & soak everything in plant-based cleaning solutions & wipe everything down).
8. Any odd or unsusual odors? None at all.
9. What symptoms are they showing? My hamster is experiencing all the symptoms that describe respiratory/breathing problems: clicking noises whenever she breathes (looks like she's having a hiccup), difficulty breathing, lethargic (she even refuses food), wetness around the mouth, & eyes are closed most of the times.
10. Do you feed fresh foods (lettuce, carrots, etc)? How often? When are they removed from the cage? Yes, once a week with only a small piece of vegetable, e.g. carrots; because the piece is so small, my hamster always finishes it.
11. Have you added anything new to the hamster's cage? No.
Maybe this helps.
ps: this is the same RC who has cataract in one eye, hopefully this problem she's having now is just a sign of aging.
Edited by Ippo456, 10 May 2009 - 04:21 PM.