Photo

Why does my hamster keep hoarding food in her wheel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chloeh

Chloeh

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

Recently my hamster has started storing food in her wheel, when she does it's normally at night and then she still runs around on it, her cage is in my room so it's very noisy at night :P
Whenever I take the food out and move it elsewhere she always picks it up and puts it right back in her wheel, is there anything I can do to stop her? :S

#2 hamstili

hamstili

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

I think you can just always put out the food again and again. Hamsters often choose strange places to keep their hoard ^^ can you put the cage in another room for the night, until she stops doing that?

#3 sandra03

sandra03

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

you could try taking her wheel out for a day or two and see if she chooses another spot to hoard, and then put the wheel back in. she may decide the new spot is better and keep it there.

mine change their hoarding areas often, it seems to me that every time i clean Charlie's cage he changes his behaviours. his pee corner changes, his food stash changes places, and he explores different areas of the cage that he normally doesn't hang out in much.
maybe try just cleaning the cage and the wheel really well. if the bottom of the cage isn't particularly clean she might be doing it to keep her food up off the floor on a cleaner surface

#4 Chloeh

Chloeh

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

Ok, Thanks, I'll try taking her wheel out for a couple of nights and see what she does :D

#5 babytinky

babytinky

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

ive noticed that this seems to be a problem with the female hamsters as two of our females have done this